Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters

500 Class Electric Helicopters 500 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2016, 01:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default T-rex 500 PRO DFC tail blowout

SO I have the stock 525 servo for tail and i was had it dialed in but then i did something stupid and hit T/H and then got it back under control so kicked back on before it hit the ground.

It did do a quick tap on the skids the spooled up without SS and swung around about 3 times then back into a hover. Ever since this event The the tail wont hold. If i do a quick pitch pump the tail will do 90 to 180 to the right side.

I have read a few people went to full size servo. Is this a direct fit or need some kind of mod? also notice most people use servo that only do 4.8. why? this is a 6 volt system....

This also might be something in the spirit FBL sys. but something must have changed in the setting cuz it all worked before.

any help would be great. Thanks guys
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2016, 01:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

How is the heli mechanically? Take the tail pushrod off and make sure that the tail mechanism is butter smooth, doesn't hurt to check out the bearings also. Make sure your tail pushrod is straight, as it will cause a lot of binding if it is not.
Down to the servo, move it around while putting some pressure on it, see if it gives at all. The servo arm could have slipped on the output shaft. As for the full size servo, it all depends on which servo you go with. Hope I gave you some starters to look for, let me know how it goes!
Old 09-23-2016, 01:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Hudock View Post
How is the heli mechanically? Take the tail pushrod off and make sure that the tail mechanism is butter smooth, doesn't hurt to check out the bearings also. Make sure your tail pushrod is straight, as it will cause a lot of binding if it is not.
Down to the servo, move it around while putting some pressure on it, see if it gives at all. The servo arm could have slipped on the output shaft. As for the full size servo, it all depends on which servo you go with. Hope I gave you some starters to look for, let me know how it goes!
All the linkage is smooth and strait. I put pressure on the servo stalling it with my fingers in both directions and felt no gear slipping. I do have a new gear set for the servo i might try.

Figure maybe the gears are not meshing very well maybe due to a bur in the gear from a hit or something and maybe that is slowing down reaction time. It never hurts to get another person view on something.

I might have a very slightly bent torque tube would that do much? i can free spin the heli and i feel no drag whatsoever. plus those bearing supports have plenty of play to adapt right?
Old 09-23-2016, 01:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Did it take a lot of force to stall the servo? It could be the servo is just giving up, there have been a few cases of this with the Align 525. It depends on how bent the TT is, for the most part it is going to cause vibes.
Old 09-23-2016, 02:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Hudock View Post
Did it take a lot of force to stall the servo? It could be the servo is just giving up, there have been a few cases of this with the Align 525. It depends on how bent the TT is, for the most part it is going to cause vibes.
I don't know how much force to compare it too. maybe i'll look into a new servo.

I think just the tail boom is bent not the TT but maybe ill pull it apart tonight and check.

Thanks for the ideas man, great help
Old 09-23-2016, 05:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

get a better tail servo when you can, my 525 was only 3 months old when it woke up dead.

make the sure tail rotor is not slipping some how

sometimes those gears will slip on their shafts
Old 09-23-2016, 07:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I never had much luck with the 525 servo. It was OK on my 450 pro but was a bit lazy on bigger helis. If you have a full size tail servo, try it out. You won't regret it.
The_crack_fox is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2016, 09:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Coming down like that and then all of a sudden having a problem calls for a complete teardown of the tail assy to the TT and checking everything real close. If nothing is found replace the servo.
Old 09-24-2016, 02:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

so good news it is fixed. it was a simple one too. somehow my tail end points were off in the spirit FBL software.

I knew something was up when it lost its bind when i took it out to fly. I did learn you can bind it without any set-up software. just install bind plug and power on. somehow it bind to both sats and my tm11000 all at the same time without pushing bind button on tm1100. kinda cool

Also went through my ESC setup for the first time found somehow it got set up for 5 volts only and motor timing was off. so now 6 volt all around and setup for mid timing.

Thanks all for the ideas. once i get my setup all dialed in ill be sure to save a file of it in case this happens again and i can just load the file.

any one running spirit software on there trex 500? what rudder delay are you using with the ds525?
Old 09-24-2016, 06:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by HELI_FUN View Post
so good news it is fixed. it was a simple one too. somehow my tail end points were off in the spirit FBL software.

I knew something was up when it lost its bind when i took it out to fly. I did learn you can bind it without any set-up software. just install bind plug and power on. somehow it bind to both sats and my tm11000 all at the same time without pushing bind button on tm1100. kinda cool

Also went through my ESC setup for the first time found somehow it got set up for 5 volts only and motor timing was off. so now 6 volt all around and setup for mid timing.

Thanks all for the ideas. once i get my setup all dialed in ill be sure to save a file of it in case this happens again and i can just load the file.

any one running spirit software on there trex 500? what rudder delay are you using with the ds525?
Align ESC? My Aligns will loose there esc settings sometimes, I think if I select the wrong model in the TX and have to reset after selecting the right one. Don't really know. All of a sudden the throttle don't feel right, soft start is off and no power. I always listen to the beeps on them now.
The first time it happened I hit IU and soft start was off and my 550 spun like a top and stripped the main gear. LOL
Old 09-25-2016, 05:15 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad007 View Post
Align ESC? My Aligns will loose there esc settings sometimes, I think if I select the wrong model in the TX and have to reset after selecting the right one. Don't really know. All of a sudden the throttle don't feel right, soft start is off and no power. I always listen to the beeps on them now.
The first time it happened I hit IU and soft start was off and my 550 spun like a top and stripped the main gear. LOL
yeah, stock RCE-BL70

good to know, ill keep an eye on it. I Think I plugged in the battery and some how my controller was in IU so it went into setting menu and i just unplugged it in the middle of it going through the menu. oh well learned something new
Old 09-25-2016, 08:51 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Beep, beep beep, beep beep, beep beep beep Heli GM, beep beep medium throttle response, beep I use a CCbec Pro
LOL
Preflight every time, even ESC tones

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in