Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Aerial Videography and Photography

Aerial Videography and Photography Aerial Video/Photo from R/C Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2014, 01:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Camcorder vs DSLR for recording heli flights?

Trying to start videoing some of my heli flights. I plan on having my friend video me while I fly and vice versa. I know very little about cameras in general so I apologize up front for any noob questions.

I tried out a Sony camcorder at a recent fun fly. It was an HD camcorder, but I'm not sure of the frame rate. The video looked pretty good, but it had major issues keeping focus. It did much better in daylight than when they did night flying under generator powered lights. I'll be doing most of my videoing during the daytime.

I didn't think to set the focus to infinity, so that may have solved some of my issues.

I met another Helifreaker that was shooting video with a Panasonic Lumix GH1 and a shoulder rig. My question is what are the trade offs between a camcorder and DSLR for shooting helis in action? I would like to go no more than $2000 on all needed equipment, but I would prefer to pay more if needed to get the results I'm after. I would hate to spend $1500 and be disappointed if I can spend $2500 and be blown away. Good still shots are a plus, but I'm mostly interested in good video. Any suggestions are welcome, and thanks in advance!
gemmellsc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2014, 10:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Anybody?
Old 03-09-2014, 05:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Your biggest issue is tracking and focus. DSLR autofocus is relatively slower than the camcorder focus when attempting to capture video. Look for a camcorder with focus lock and 3d tracking so the the focus system doesn't get stuck on a high contrast background. Handheld shots a tricky at best. I would actually go for a fluid ball head with friction drag so I could tilt and pan smoothly keeping the heli in a narrow area in front of me.
para5063 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2014, 07:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

we use several different camers..DSLR,and handicams..there are hard to find now a days but for a handicam go with Sony HDR cx-760 with the ziess lens..this unit has a gyro stabilized head/lens...set it to infinity and shoot at 1080p 60i..60 fps at 1080p..in DSLR we use Canon 5d mk3,sony, NEX 5n, panasonic GH3..these for cameras have given us the best results..here is an example we did for a local motocross track.Camera used in this video.. sony hdr cx-760..as i recall there is no post stabilization..

VPIxSpantastik (3 min 45 sec)
Old 03-23-2014, 07:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback. Cool video! Lots of choices out there. Mind boggling!
Old 03-31-2014, 08:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

We use both. Both will give you varied results. If you have a platform that will hoist a full frame DLSR, I would choose that... if it will only hoist a compact, I will go with a Camcorder with a fast read/write processor.
Stock Footage is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2014, 11:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default stabilization

Which is going to provide the best image stabilization
Starfox9 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in