Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > Hurricane 425

Hurricane 425 Discussion and support of the Gaui Hurricane 425

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2012, 12:09 AM   #21 (permalink)
HF MR Support

...I have always thought my all silver Gaui motor with 41mm O.D. and 47mm height
was a 850....It turned slower than the other motor I had (Darker end bells...don't remember the sizes) it was on the 425 I built and sold to Nefarious in So-Cal
And yes, It gets REAL HOT when I fly for two consecutive Batts...A known Gaui motor Trait....bottom line, they work O.K.!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	motors and dins 011.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	352601  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2012, 01:52 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Not sure if this will help clear up the question, or cause even more confusion. This is a pic of a stock Gaui 850kv motor as removed from the package. At the time the pic was taken a few years back the motor was just removed from the sealed package. As you can see the motor is not "solid silver" but is kind of bronze colored top and bottom.

I don't need the latest and greatest. I just need more time to fly what I have.
Align 450 Sport V2, Gaui 200, Gaui 425 x 2, "HeadHunter 500, Gaui 550, all Flybar'd

Jerrymac is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2012, 02:07 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrymac View Post
Not sure if this will help clear up the question, or cause even more confusion. This is a pic of a stock Gaui 850kv motor as removed from the package. At the time the pic was taken a few years back the motor was just removed from the sealed package. As you can see the motor is not "solid silver" but is kind of bronze colored top and bottom.

It's the shiny can between the 2 bronze bits that you need to measure

850 motor = 24 mm
1100 motor = 30 mm

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Can sizes.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	352622  
Mikej is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2012, 02:25 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by pug907 View Post
I'll certainly bow to your experience Mike. I'm seriously confused now. I tachoed my 425 head at 50% throttle and got a reading of 1210 RPM. I'm running 1100Kv (I think lol) 14,19,42,61.
850 motor with those gears would only be 980RPM??
Maybe the tacho was out, I'll have to try another, as I've just measured my cans and they are both the same length!!! 24ish mm!!
The 550 has the stock 850? and running 18,19,42,61. Not tried tachoing this one yet, but will do as soon as it's back together, but was too slow a headspeed with the 14t pinion??, even for it being FB.
If I knew how to work my telemetry module, I would stick that in to give me the H/S.
Castle ice ESC has the gear ratio of 9.63 to 1.
I've just plugged in the CC ice ESC and my top RPM was 1900, most of the peaks are between 1650 and 1870RPM. Running a 90% flat line throttle curve!!
Max current draw was 187A GULP, average 18.2A PHEW

I just wish I understood half of this gumph!! Maybe I should just buy a motor with the size on it and be done with all the worry LOL.
What level of charge was your lipo at when you tacho-ed the HS?

People generally calculate the HS at a nominal 3.7 volt - but with a fully charged pack you would be at 4.2volts - even with a little sag due to the load from the motor you would probably be at about 4.0 volts.

Does this help confuse you more
Old 09-26-2012, 02:31 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ah Mike, but doesn't the silver can in the middle not also change the overall height as can be seen in your piccies.?

I don't need the latest and greatest. I just need more time to fly what I have.
Align 450 Sport V2, Gaui 200, Gaui 425 x 2, "HeadHunter 500, Gaui 550, all Flybar'd

Jerrymac is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2012, 02:46 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
What level of charge was your lipo at when you tacho-ed the HS?

People generally calculate the HS at a nominal 3.7 volt - but with a fully charged pack you would be at 4.2volts - even with a little sag due to the load from the motor you would probably be at about 4.0 volts.

Doe sthis help confuse you more
More confused? Well, yes I am actually, since you asked. I'm not sure whether I need a sh*t or a haircut now .
The packs were fully charged, so I'm guessing I've bought an 850Kv. It was only 20 quid, so no great shakes really. It works on the 425, so there it shall stay.

Got me worrying about the 550 headspeed now . The gearing I have will give me 2519@100% eff. With plastic grips??? oooooooeeeerrrrrrr missus, best I go up to a 50t.

Right then!! I'm going to hide under the stairs, to let the confusion subside!!
Cheers,

Synergy E5, HKIII 4025-1100, Vbar, 6s 5000's, RJX mains
Gaui X4- W.I.P
pug907 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2012, 03:40 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrymac View Post
Ah Mike, but doesn't the silver can in the middle not also change the overall height as can be seen in your piccies.?
Absolutely - but back in the day (this may even be before you got your first Hurricane Jerry) the discussion was always besed upon the can length (not the overall length) for some reason
Old 09-26-2012, 03:42 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
More confused? Well, yes I am actually, since you asked. I'm not sure whether I need a sh*t or a haircut now .
The packs were fully charged, so I'm guessing I've bought an 850Kv. It was only 20 quid, so no great shakes really. It works on the 425, so there it shall stay.

Got me worrying about the 550 headspeed now . The gearing I have will give me 2519@100% eff. With plastic grips??? oooooooeeeerrrrrrr missus, best I go up to a 50t.

Right then!! I'm going to hide under the stairs, to let the confusion subside!!
Cheers,
What gearing are you using mate ? When I was using that motor I think I had 14T or 15T/ 42 / 20 / 61 - this gives about 2,000HS and I then dropped it to about 1,900 using throttle curves.

We need to meet up - if you are going to be flying at 2519HS with 550mm woodies - I gotta see that
Old 09-26-2012, 11:00 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
What gearing are you using mate ? When I was using that motor I think I had 14T or 15T/ 42 / 20 / 61 - this gives about 2,000HS and I then dropped it to about 1,900 using throttle curves.

We need to meet up - if you are going to be flying at 2519HS with 550mm woodies - I gotta see that
If the weather was a little more predictable, I'd be over like a shot.
I've had no work on this week, so had the time, but not the bits I needed to finish off, but at least I have the 425 in operation!!
I am running 18t pinion, 19,42,61. If I change to 18,19,50,61 it drops to 2116 max. I have a spare 14t hanging about, which I could put back on to give me just shy of 2000.
I do have 2 sets of GF's and 2 sets of CF's to put on it, but crash factor prohibits their use at the mo!! Now that's confidence for you huh??

I've just done ZYX setup and need to sort cyclic pitch etc. looks like I'll need to move servo balls in a bit, as I'm getting more than my guage will read .
Cheers for the help so far anyway,
Andy

Synergy E5, HKIII 4025-1100, Vbar, 6s 5000's, RJX mains
Gaui X4- W.I.P
pug907 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2012, 02:06 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I am running 18t pinion, 19,42,61. If I change to 18,19,50,61 it drops to 2116 max. I have a spare 14t hanging about, which I could put back on to give me just shy of 2000.
18T I was wondering how you got 2600

Quote:
I've just done ZYX setup and need to sort cyclic pitch etc. looks like I'll need to move servo balls in a bit, as I'm getting more than my guage will read .
Depending on how much movement you have you can use the Aileron limit, Elevator limit and Collective range to tune the movement - but if you go much below 50 you will start losing resolution and you will need to move your balls as you say
Old 09-27-2012, 04:06 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm also pretty low on the collective limit on my ZYX-s.

I wonder what would happen when we put the balls on the servo horn closer in.
I think the offset linkages need to be kept symmetrical. I am worried the push/pull setup will jerk the servo back and forth if mess with the geometry.
I thought about calculating the effect but it gave me a headache. I think i will dig up the good old box of Technic Lego and set up a few offset linkages to see what happens.
sp00fman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2012, 05:41 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I have a question about where to mount the ball link on the tail servo horn on my 550. I'm using an Align DS620 on the tail. I had the ball out about 14 mm and there was binding so I reduced my end points on the servo in the DX8 and then it seemed like the piro speed was slower. So I moved the ball in to the point where I get no binding with the end points at 100 both ways.

I'm confused on this for some reason. How should this be setup ideally?
blade_crasher is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2012, 07:09 PM   #33 (permalink)
HF MR Support

My 550 has the ball at 15.5mm out. the servo is the Hyperion DS20GMD mounted inside the frame...GY401 Gyro. works great!
Old 09-27-2012, 10:02 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

do you get any binding with yaw input on the TX at 15.5mm? Are the servo travel end points 100% each way or something less? I'm using the Align 750.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:32 PM   #35 (permalink)
HF MR Support

Default 550

No bind at all due to the GY401 having a limit pot on top as well as a digital delay
If I had the Hyperion setting tool, I could fine tune it even more....they are fully programmable
Old 09-28-2012, 01:56 AM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp00fman View Post

I think the offset linkages need to be kept symmetrical. I am worried the push/pull setup will jerk the servo back and forth if mess with the geometry.
I thought about calculating the effect but it gave me a headache. I think i will dig up the good old box of Technic Lego and set up a few offset linkages to see what happens.
So long as the links are the same length you are fine - easiest way to check is to move the balls in, fully connect one but only one end of the other leaving it lying loose on the ball - now move the servo through it's movement range and see if the "loose" end stays central over the servo ball (it should do)
Old 09-28-2012, 02:49 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp00fman View Post

Maybe the (lower) X4 main shaft will give you more collective.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:45 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

Got the ball moved out on the servo arm to about 14mm. Got the endpoints reset to 100 100. Got the gyro limits working correctly. The 550 hovered and flew wonderfully. Thanks for the help.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:02 AM   #39 (permalink)
HF MR Support

...sometimes it may take re-doing the tail set up from the beginning to get it to hold correctly...the last 425 I built and fly has the GY520 clone gyro and it was perfect right out of the package! I installed it and took it out to the driveway and brought the headspeed up real slow...no twitch or deflection right through liftoff...still holds great!
PT

Tags
motor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in