Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Antique Out of Production and Vintage Helicopters > Heli-Max Helicopters

Heli-Max Helicopters Heli-Max Helicopter Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 03:41 PM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'll post something after I get more flights in. Only about 6 on it now. So I have a bit to go before I hit 20 - 30.

I'm looking now for a parallel charge cable. I noticed that the stock charger has a JST connector on its wires. And an adapter that goes from the JST to battery connector. If all else fails, I'll see if I can get 5 or 6 of the adapters and make my own parallel cable. Should just require a simple cut and solder job to make one.

I'd much rather use my own charger and be able to charge more than one of these at a time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 03:45 PM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

I spent some time with mine and a DX8. I more or less want to set it up with a 3D level of responsiveness- somewhere about where the Nano is on high rates.

Servo Setup: Travel : Ail, Elev and Rudder full max 150%
D/R-Expo: Pos 0 (my low rate) 80 w/ 10 expo, Pos 2 (my highest) 100, w/ 0 expo
Throttle Curve: Normal- 0,60,80,90,100; Pos 1 and 2- 100%,100%,100%,100%,100%
No Swash Mix (when you did "90 deg" in the setup menu it defaulted the mix to "H1" to use the Futaba lingo.
Gyro: [enable] > 60% (gear channel)(gyro switch) set all 3 to 60% (always on)
Pitch Curve: Normal 40,45,50,70,90; Pos 1: 20, 35, 50, 65, 80; Pos 2: 10, 30, 50, 70, 90

This setup really woke it up, but I had to use Subtrim on the pitch mix channel (6 on SPK), to find a 0 deg pitch point that I could live with. I like the skid's getting light right at 50 left stick, and so I had to trim positive pitch into the pitch channel, about 15 clicks- to get that to happen. Alternatively you could start the whole pitch curve a a higher value. Like on my idle up pos 2, you could start at 20 and end at 100, and have pretty much the same thing as I do.

Anyhow, now it acts like a real CP bird, but I'm having trouble with my collective- really bogs hard. I'm experimenting with using the servo travel limits on channel 6 (pitch mix) to control the range of pitch without having to adjust shape of the curve per ce. Maybe the motor needs to break in a bit more...???

I'll keep updating, and I'll have a vid after tomorrow night.

-Tim
QuantumHobby is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 04:25 PM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

These seems to be commonly refered to as Micro Losi Connectors.

I found some here: http://losi.com/Products/Features.aspx?ProdId=LOSB0860. $3.00 for both male and female connector.
Horizon has the same part number for the same price.

http://www.advantagehobby.com/88710/LOSB0860/?pcat=799 $2.72.

http://www.wowhobbies.com/batteryrec...nectorset.aspx. $2.50.

****EDIT: After some reading I found that any charge cables intended for Walkera helis will have the positive and negative wires switched. Be sure to verify this. The wire can be removed from the plastic connector housing similar to a servo wire. ****

Wow Hobbies also has a 5x parallel cable listed: http://www.wowhobbies.com/jst2pinplu...raplugs-1.aspx. $4.98. It has a balance plug on it also though. Looks to be intended for use with 2S packs. But I think you can just leave the balance connector unplugged and charge through the JST connector only.

They also list a 3x Series charge cable: http://www.wowhobbies.com/hm-cb180-z...1-2-1-1-1.aspx. $4.95. Its out of stock.

Hope this helps. Seems to not be many parallel cables around.

Last edited by Ranger71d; 11-15-2012 at 09:28 PM..
Ranger71d is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 11:12 PM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

What about cables from progressiverc?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Grok is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 06:27 AM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

I didn't see any that would work with the stock connectors.
A call to them would be best.

R71D
Sent from my phone, excuse the bad grammar and auto corrections.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:14 PM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ive reached 20 flights on this bird today. The motor seemed to gain more power at around 14 flights. And seems to bog less now.
Last night I put it into the wall of my living room. My skill level isn't conducive to high speed piro circles indoors. I actually broke the boom just behind the frame. Should have been outside doing that, but it gets dark early now.
Which is kinda interesting as I have crashed this thing about a dozen times without damaging anything, some of which were far worse. I have lost orientation while trying to do an inverted tail in funnel. When I lost orientation and put it in tail first inverted. It actually made a thud I could here from about 50' away. I was able to just pick it up, do a quick check, and then fly it again. My guess is that I have been pushing to get better and had weakened the boom due to the number of times I have crashed.
All in all this things crashes really well in grass.
I picked up a boom at my LHS. They are carrying the new line of micro Heli-Max's because this bird has had some good reviews.
For about $6.00 I got the boom, motor, and wires. Pretty cheap. Put it all together and it flies like new.
I'm liking this heli more and more. I flew my X2 some today as well and feel more confident as a result of flying the 100cp. From me this has been a great investment.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:30 PM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger71d View Post
I'll post something after I get more flights in. Only about 6 on it now. So I have a bit to go before I hit 20 - 30.

I'm looking now for a parallel charge cable. I noticed that the stock charger has a JST connector on its wires. And an adapter that goes from the JST to battery connector. If all else fails, I'll see if I can get 5 or 6 of the adapters and make my own parallel cable. Should just require a simple cut and solder job to make one.

I'd much rather use my own charger and be able to charge more than one of these at a time.
I purchased some of these connectors on ebay.here 10 sets for 4.99

I used them to create a parralel charge cable for my Walkera Genius CP and the polatiry was reversed, so had to remove and reverse the wires. Check the polarity on your Heli Max.

Jim
Old 11-18-2012, 09:17 AM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Beignner with Heli-Max

Hi Everyone,

Tried to get into the hobby two years but couldn't get things rolling. I have a T-Rex 500 ESP that I bought back then that I will be building and converting to flybarless over the holidays. Meanwhile I bought the Heli-Max to learn on before I attempt to fly the T-Rex.

Have a Futaba 7C and I managed to figure out why my tail keep spinning. Due to improper setup on my Futaba on my part. Still trying to understand all the setup options on my radio. So mine pulls to the right and I don't find it stable at all to hover. It's all over the place on me though later I don't seem to be having my success on my simulator either.

When folks talked about a heli being so stable in hover, it that just a relative term they are using? Does that mean only slight occasional input is needed on the controls?

I have copied down RDavis's Futaba settings. Would the Normal settings be more one would use to learn to hover or do I need to tweak the settings more?

Thank you to anyone that replies.
WEFlyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 09:51 AM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you are learning to hover you can add positive expo. The neg expo rdavis recommended will make it feel faster reacting. I personally like 0 expo.

R71D
Old 11-18-2012, 07:18 PM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger71d View Post
If you are learning to hover you can add positive expo. The neg expo rdavis recommended will make it feel faster reacting. I personally like 0 expo.

R71D
With Futaba positive expo will speed up the response around center stick negative will delay the response around center stick if you are just learning to hover you may want to add a little negative expo so you don't over control the heli.
boogie12 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 08:29 AM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi all.

I am really new at this, and I have the Axe 100 cp with radio, I really need to slow this thing down to learn to hover. But the instructions that come with the radio are really confusing to me and can't find were or how to put in neg expo to slow it down help please.

sorry about the bad grammar
gene1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 11:17 AM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie12 View Post
With Futaba positive expo will speed up the response around center stick negative will delay the response around center stick if you are just learning to hover you may want to add a little negative expo so you don't over control the heli.
Good catch, I said that incorrectly.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:27 AM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

http://www.helimax-rc.com/helis/hmxe...0cp/index.html
At the bottom of the page is a link to the TX610 manual. I think this is the radio you are refering to.

Page 8 has the information you need under Curves for adjusting expo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene1 View Post
Hi all.

I am really new at this, and I have the Axe 100 cp with radio, I really need to slow this thing down to learn to hover. But the instructions that come with the radio are really confusing to me and can't find were or how to put in neg expo to slow it down help please.

sorry about the bad grammar
Old 11-19-2012, 01:45 PM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Futaba 7C Setup

Thanks guys about the expo information. I have success yesterday which I will post about next.

For anyone else new with this, here is my setup for my Futaba 7C based off the manual. It took me quite some time to figure out how to transfer the manual settings to my radio. I hadn't touch it in two years so forgot a lot.

I revised the manual's table to reflect how it would look for the 7C.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7c Setup.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	367456  
Old 11-19-2012, 02:03 PM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

WEFlyer,
Thanks for sharing your experience/setup.

So what do you think of the heli? Is it durable enough from minor crashes? How's the quality of the material?

Also, did you have to buy the 'Tactic AnyLink SLT 2.4GHz Universal Radio Adapter' unit or does it come with it? I plan on using my Futaba 8FG for this so, just wondering if I have to include it in my order.

Thanks,
Rico.
ricoalonso is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 02:21 PM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Success Getting it off the Ground

Since this is my first time getting a CP helicopter into the air, I'd thought I let any other beginners interested in this helicopter know how I made out.

It seems like the basic settings provided for the Futaba radios were good enough me. As I reread more about heli setups, I'll play around with the settings. I had an issue originally where I didn't set up the gyro correctly and had a spinning tail. After I adjusted that, I tried to hover it in my living room but it kept wanting to tip over. As space is tight I didn't want to push it.

So I moved it to outside the next day where I had a good amount of room for mistakes. Again it started to tip over but I get it a little nudge on the throttle and it broke ground and I was up in the air a couple of inches. What surprised me at this point was how much easier it was to hover versus my Real Flight 6.5 simulation. I felt more comfortable with this than I do in the simulation. Much easier to keep in a small circle.

I had 4 flights of tail-in hovering. Timer was set to 4 mins. Three out of the four were uneventful as I had very light winds. I just practiced trying to keep it in a small area and raising it up and down. I noticed how any change in wind could quickly raise or drop this little heli. Also, too much movement in any direction without adding throttle also seems to drop it, almost like a rock. I bounced it off it skids a few times.

My third flight the wind picked up with little gusts and the Axe was blown twice into the neighbors yard. I waited for the winds to die down then tried again. A minute into flight, a gust hit as I was about 10 feet in the air and it went over my head, then to the left to the roof. As it disappeared over the roof I hit throttle hold. Stepped back and looked on the roof thinking the worst and it was sitting there pretty as a picture. Grabbed a ladder and finished up the flight.

It has an occasional tail wag each flight so not sure what is going on yet. I have to do some search on causes for tail wagging.

Next go around I'll set the timer for 5 minutes as I felt like there was still enough juice for flying a little longer. I'll start working on tail-in left and right hovering next and practice nose-in on the simulator. I might start trying to adjust the simulator settings to see if that helps with hovering in the sim.

So far, I am very glad I made this purchase!
Old 11-19-2012, 02:42 PM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricoalonso View Post
WEFlyer,

So what do you think of the heli? Is it durable enough from minor crashes? How's the quality of the material?

Also, did you have to buy the 'Tactic AnyLink SLT 2.4GHz Universal Radio Adapter' unit or does it come with it? I plan on using my Futaba 8FG for this so, just wondering if I have to include it in my order.

Thanks,
Rico.
Just posted my experience on my first flights but I am so glad I made this purchase. From my research, this was the only helicopter in this size to get without have to buy another radio. So while my choice was extremely limited so far I am very happy with it.

I had to buy Anylink when I bought the Heli-Max. You can get it free right now if you buy select planes but not for the helicopters. $25 purchase any place I looked. I just stuck the 3M Binding tape on my receiver under the light in back, making sure I could see the light, then plugged the provided cable into the Anylink and the trainer port on the back of the radio. Binding to the heli was nothing more than pushing a very small black button on the receiver for 3 seconds. Not sure I'll ever get Anylink off though. That 3M binding template almost seems permanent. Well I cross that bridge if need as I am hoping I will get another TX-R aircraft down the road.

As for durability, the canopy is really thin so I am waiting to see if I rip it at some point. But I haven't so far trying to plug and unplug the battery and I've yanked out the battery twice trying to unplug it. I haven't put it to the crashed test yet as I am a complete beginner at flying this but I have dropped it about two feet on its skids trying to land and it bounces back up in the air on a black top driveway. Tail fin hit each time too and no tail damage yet. Maybe if I do that enough times I will evenly break the skids but it seems like will take some bounces before stressing the materials to a breaking point. This was the very reason I bought this heli, based on others who had crashed theirs and just picked it up and flew it again after checking it over.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:51 PM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricoalonso View Post
WEFlyer,

Thanks,
Rico.
I have been using this heli to train my 13 year old nephew how to fly he has about 2 hours of sim time so that's not much at all. I started him on the helimax this past weekend with hovering to get him used to the heli and by Sunday he was attempting forward flight with a few minor crashes. So far this heli has proven to be very newby friendly with only minor damages done to the heli such as tail blades and landing skids and the small canopy post but those are parts I expected to break so I suggest buying extras of those.
boogie12 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 03:14 PM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

At 5min my packs are showing 3.75v. So I'm going to keep flying at 5min.
When I get authorization from the Chief Financial Officer I'll buy some more bat ties and some connectors to make a multi charge cable.
Got mine from Tower Hobbies. Didn't come with an Anylink. But I have 2 from some planks I got earlier.

R71D
Old 11-19-2012, 03:41 PM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thank you, WEFlyer and all who contributed to this thread.

I have been flying helis (and fixed wing) for years now but for some reason, I still don't have the courage to do loops or flips. I've done a few bad flips and loops with my 450 and 500 helis and some did not end happily. The problem is that I can easily do it in the sim and yet when it comes to actual model flying, my thumbs and my heartbeat just don't get in synched . I hope this little heli will help me get more stick time and confidence .
ricoalonso is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in