Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > Hurricane 550

Hurricane 550 Discussion and support of the Gaui Hurricane 550

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2007, 12:57 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default one way bearing slipping!

Hi All,
I just got my new Hurry 550 and have tried to have my first flight.

It spun up nicely till mid stick on throttle, then it just seemed to loose all head speed as the pitch increased (although I could hear the motor screaming.

I have removed the pinion with the one-way bearing and if I hold the teo gears in my hand I can make it slip if I apply a fair amount of force

Has anyone else had this problem?

Cheers
Matthew Q
mattquinlan68 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2007, 08:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

had the same problem and getting a new one way gear is the only way to go,
Old 12-23-2007, 09:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

no, there is a mod you can do, and if you look in the current rcheli mag they do a review on the h550. you need to remove the bearing and scuff up the walls of the hub it goes into, then either apply red or green loctite (prefered green) on the outer bearing race and press it back in. you can use ca too, but they recomend using green loctite, and red loctite if you have no green. then, according to rcheli mag your good to go.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by istandalone View Post
no, there is a mod you can do, and if you look in the current rcheli mag they do a review on the h550. you need to remove the bearing and scuff up the walls of the hub it goes into, then either apply red or green loctite (prefered green) on the outer bearing race and press it back in. you can use ca too, but they recomend using green loctite, and red loctite if you have no green. then, according to rcheli mag your good to go.
that is only if the whole bearing is slipping in the gear, if the bearing is no good then you need a new bearing.
mjdee14 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2007, 01:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by istandalone View Post
Which issue/month is the Hurricane 550 review? I'm not seeing it in my Dec or Jan issue.
bugdozer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2007, 06:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

feb issue. your right about if the bearing itsself was bad it has to be replaced, but, the way i took the tip from rcheli it made it sound like the slippage between the bearing and the hub would seem just like the bearing is bad. just take a look and verify the bearing itsself is slipping and not the hub around the bearing.
Old 12-23-2007, 06:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattquinlan68 View Post
Hi All,
I just got my new Hurry 550 and have tried to have my first flight.

It spun up nicely till mid stick on throttle, then it just seemed to loose all head speed as the pitch increased (although I could hear the motor screaming.

I have removed the pinion with the one-way bearing and if I hold the teo gears in my hand I can make it slip if I apply a fair amount of force

Has anyone else had this problem?

Cheers
Matthew Q
If you have the bearing out you should be able to tell pretty quickly if it is the bearing, most likely it will be as ISA said...and you can put the locktie or ca in the plastic gear hole to keep the bearing from slipping.

i had the same problem with a Revo and the locktite worked great.

*** make sure you put it in the same way or else the bearing will "slip" the wrong way and won't spin up at all...it may look different from one end to the other, but make sure it goes back in the same way.
Old 12-23-2007, 06:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Oh, Oh, now I'm eagerly awaiting the Feb issue.
bugdozer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2007, 02:52 AM   #9 (permalink)
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Thank you everyone!

Hi All,
First post, thanks for the help!

Hmmmm ... the mod might be to much of a pain, I have ordered another one but was curious to see if it had happened to anyone else.

I have the whole unit out of the heli, I'm gonna check it now.

Cheers from down under

Matthew
Old 12-24-2007, 03:11 AM   #10 (permalink)

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!

I totally worked! I could just push the outside gear off the bearing, almost took no force.

Love your work istandalone

Matthew
Old 12-24-2007, 05:54 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Loctite should never be used in contact with plastic. Metal to metal only. Many plastics will weakend and break or shatter after contact with Loctite.
AMA#47402, IRCHA # 3395
Blade CP "Pro", Trex 450SE, PiccoZ, Quick of Japan EP8v2 EX, Hurricane 550, Hurricane 200, JR Vibe 50, Blade mCX, Bergen Intrepid Gasser, Pantera 50, Blade mSR, Novus CP
Pinecone is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2007, 09:30 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

so why does rcheli advocate using it in that spot? i know loctite will attack "most" thermoplastics, and i know absolutly jack about plastics. maybe it's (the gear) is not a thermoplastic. maybe delrin? all i do know is, if rcheli did it and nothing came of it, i'll do it too. although maybe i'll use thin ca instead...either way this is a problem that gaui needs to address.
Old 12-24-2007, 10:13 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattquinlan68 View Post
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!

I totally worked! I could just push the outside gear off the bearing, almost took no force.

Love your work istandalone

Matthew
Well if you have already ordered one, you'll have a spare bearing should the new one fail in the future. i wouldn't hesitate to apply thin ca to the outside of the bearing housing...stick it back in...and hit it wih accelerator..it will hold forever...

if the kit was new you should try and get a replacement from the HS.

it's amazing to me how much force these litte oneway bearing take and how important they are to the whole heli.
Old 12-24-2007, 10:18 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Not sure which plastics get seriously damaged and which ones less so, and some that don't at all. But then again, how do you know exactly what plastic something is made of.

Better to use CA, epoxuy or other adhesives that are designed for plastic.

I just tried searching the Loctite site, but nothing came up for use with plastics.
AMA#47402, IRCHA # 3395
Blade CP "Pro", Trex 450SE, PiccoZ, Quick of Japan EP8v2 EX, Hurricane 550, Hurricane 200, JR Vibe 50, Blade mCX, Bergen Intrepid Gasser, Pantera 50, Blade mSR, Novus CP
Old 12-24-2007, 11:51 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

totally better safe then sorry. i'll use ca on mine, before i even fly it. but if it does slip, i'll be hitting up gaui for another.
Old 12-24-2007, 01:23 PM   #16 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Also make sure the gear that goes around the bearing is not cracked between 2 teeth! I have had 4 of them crack on me and no amount of scuffing or locktite will solve it! It is VERY hard to see the crack too (it's a hair line crack) so inspect the gear really well.

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2007, 04:42 PM   #17 (permalink)

I have gone ahead and did the repair last night (Oz time) it has had 12 hours to dry (i did use greeen locktite!) anyway, I'm going to spin it up and see what happens. Will post the result.

Matthew
Old 12-25-2007, 03:57 AM   #18 (permalink)

Merry Xmas veryone!

OK the run down on what I found.

The inner bearing and the outer gear are both metal, even though I had used green locktite the Hurry did her first two flights no issue (slow figure 8's and some fast acsents) However after close inspection I found the outer gear had slipped right down to the bottom of the bearing! The heli still flew fine but I decided to remove the gear again and used lots of red locktite. Now if has done an extra 3 flights no issue at all.

I'm going to bring this to the Aussie importers attention. Not great for an "out of the box" experience, but I LOVED playing with it today.

Matthew
Old 12-25-2007, 07:42 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

idk about aussie importers, but if mine slips i know readyheli will have one out in the mail before i even email them. they're good like that.
Old 12-25-2007, 08:38 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Which green Loctite did you use?

638 is probably the best for this.
AMA#47402, IRCHA # 3395

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in