Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > Hurricane 550

Hurricane 550 Discussion and support of the Gaui Hurricane 550

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2007, 10:05 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default A few electronics questions / Servos.... BEC.... ESC...

I have a new Gaui Hurricane 550 kit sitting here ready for me to put together.

I want the ship to fly good, but I am not a 3-d flyer, I just do normal rightside up flight and loops and a occasional roll. I am still learning the basics in my opinion.

I have 4 Spektrum digital servos sitting here to use in the heli. So a few servo questions....

1. These servos look slightly narrower than the predrilled holes in the frame are. What is the best way to attach them?

2. All I have is the standard control horns that came with the servos. Can I use these? I noticed in the manual and Finless videos that they suggest larger round horns and the balls placed off centerline of the servo, with my horns I have on hand that would be possible with the 1 inch round horns I have but the balls would not be as far apart as they are on the helicopters bell cranks.

Okay, now onto the ESC.... I have the Gaui 50 amp ESC sitting here, all brand new and ready for soldering. But I also have a brand new Suppo 100 amp ESC sitting here too. If it were up to you guys which ESC would you use? The Suppo ESC and the instructions for it can be found at www.lightflightrc.com I was thinking of using it over the Gaui one just cause It is rated higher and I have it, but have no use for it, so might as well use it in the heli....

And about the Gaui ESC, Is it possible to use this in model airplanes? I have a pylon racer or two that run on 45-55 amp ESC's and having the Gaui as a spare would be nice.

Lastly, BECs..... I have the BEC listed on www.lightflightrc.com Dave there said it would probably work fine on 6 cells, but was normally intended for up to 5 cells. Since I am going to be running two 3 cell packs in series in this helicopter, couldn't I just wire the BEC to draw power from one of the 3 cell packs, and not have to worry about running it on 6 cells when it was designed for 5 cells? If so, how would I do that, and I don't want to use the balancing leads because I have several different brand batteries I would be using in the heli and they all have different style balance lead connectors.

Thank you in advance, I am ready to start building but need answers to these questions first....
GyroRon is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2007, 06:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

1) Watch the video again, Bob uses the same servos. You just put the rubber grommets in the servos and they will move enough to work fine.

2) You should get the CNC Elevator lever. The stock plastic ones have been known to break. And by doing so, you will not need offset holes.

You MUST have the balls the same distance apart on both the sero and bellcrank. Otherwise things with bind as they move.

BUT, the JR Large servo horns work with straight or offset setups. The DuBro servo arms also work well with the straight setup.

Also get the JR Long Servo Screws as they help reinforce the output shafts.

As for the ESC, the stock one works fine, as long as you make sure you are not in governor mode.
AMA#47402, IRCHA # 3395
Blade CP "Pro", Trex 450SE, PiccoZ, Quick of Japan EP8v2 EX, Hurricane 550, Hurricane 200, JR Vibe 50, Blade mCX, Bergen Intrepid Gasser, Pantera 50, Blade mSR, Novus CP
Pinecone is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in