Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Thunder Tiger 60/70/90

Thunder Tiger 60/70/90 Raptor 60/70/90 Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2013, 01:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default OS 105 in a Raptor 90

The output is advertised at 4.75HP. I'm wondering if this will be too much for the drivetrain on my non SE/3D bird.
Any other issues besides the drivetrain?

Cheers!

"Whether you think that you can or think that you can't, you are right." Henry Ford
BountyHunter51 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2013, 03:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had a YS 120 in my Raptor 3D no problem...vibes did send the blue line V bar nuts though and killed the heli in a crash...I blame the V Bar the engine is great....
jwatts007 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2013, 03:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Thanks for the info. Still fly-bared on my old 90, so no problem there.
Cheers!

"Whether you think that you can or think that you can't, you are right." Henry Ford
Old 10-06-2013, 11:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would never say "no" to extending the life of an old bird, but why put a YS 120 in a flybar'ed heli?

What head are you using?
ticedoff8 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2013, 02:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I guess that I don't have to put the OS105 in this heli. Granted the Raptor is an old design but the one that I have is barely used and I've got a NIB 105 and CY MP7 (105) pipe sitting here without a home.
Honestly, this heli isn't worth much on the open market but is more that capable for my type of flying. Quite frankly, it might be a waste of a perfectly good engine but I don't plan on spending anytime soon to fly something newer in the 700 size helis.
Sorry if it sounds like a rant (it's not) to your valid question. Just my view from where I'm at in the hobby.
The head is stock Raptor with the 3D aluminum hub and plastic grips. Also running the 3D bearing blocks.

Cheers!

Old 10-08-2013, 05:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Not a "rant" - a rant usually ends up with someone calling me a d i c k.

I fly my Raptor 90 with a Trex 700 DFC head and a Skookum SK540 FBL controller. I use a YS 91SR 3DS and I really like it. I cannot rationalize buying a G4 nitro or Trex 700 to replace it.
And the YS motor pulls like a locomotive
One of the flying buddies has the G4 nitro with the OS 1.05 - and it pulls like 2 locomotives.

I have an all metal TT R90 3D head that is sitting on the shelf.
But, I really liked the Trex 700 SE flybar'ed head better. It gave me more cyclic without binding.
I could never tune the TT 3D head to get more than +/- 11 degrees of collective with more than 8 degrees of cyclic.
The Align flybar'ed head gets +/- 14 degrees collective and 10 degrees of cyclic with no binding.

2 comments:
A) Sell the OS 1.05 & pipe. Use the money for something else before the motor becomes obsolete.
B) If you do use it, get a better head - RJX, Kasama or something that allows you to take advantage of the engine's power and keep the flybar
Old 10-08-2013, 07:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

LOL...not a problem. I'm getting used to explaining why I like these old designs.

Think that the 105 is soon to be obsolete? I was thinking that it was a fairly new engine. I know that things changed pretty quick in the 91s. I was actually looking for a 91 when I opted for the 105.

My style of flying is definitely sport and I'm a very long way from 3D. I have been giving thought to FBL, but will probably use my Rex 500 as my first attempt. As of yet I haven't had any issues with the flybar.

Cheers!

Old 10-12-2013, 02:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Look how quickly the OS product line is changing. There are 2 different 105 and 3 different .91.
I wouldn't wait for a OS 120HZ-R XY ACD (or whatever they want to call it) with turbo-supercharging to replace the 105 lineup. That would lower the resale price of your NIB 105 + pipe.

And, I still get back to the main point: Other than a "wow" factor, based on your flying style and airframe limitations, there is no "good" reason to put a 105 in the R90 SE.

I still think it would be best to sell the OS 105 + pipe for a good price while it is NIB and use that money for something else.

Based on your comments about your flying style, I would recommend finding a YS 61 (not the YS 60) or the OS 70. Either one is bolt in compatible with the .91 / 105.
Your flight times will go up by at least 4 minutes (compared to a .91 - 6 to 7 min compared to a 105) and based on your comments, the fun factor will be the same as you have now.

My flying buddy used a YS 61 on his G4 and was getting almost 15 min flight.
He changed to the 105, and flight times came down to 7 min (double the size, double the fuel use).
The YS 61 was more than adequate to fly the 11lbs G4 and it would be pretty good in the 12lbs R90 SE.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You make some very valid points on the 105. I believe that I'll rethink things on the 90 and look at other options.
Ya wanna buy a motor and pipe?

Cheers!

Old 10-13-2013, 02:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I will pass on the motor, thanks.

I've been flying two Raptor 90 with various .91 engines for about 4 years.
Then, converted both to FBL and flew them that way for about 1 year.
During that time, I was getting about 6 flights per gal with the YS 91SR 3DS (same motor on both).

I vaporized one of them on a botched bailout from an inverted funnel - too low and pulled positive collective WAY too soon - and replaced it with an Align Trex 600N.

The 600N uses a YS 56 and now I am getting 8 to 9 flight per gal.
I figure the OS 105 will get around 5 flights per gal - but 15% instead of 30%. Still, that is 1/2 the flights of my Trex 600N. Right now, I just want flight time and repetitions.

There is not a big difference in flight "perception" between the two. The R90 floats a little better, but the 600 is more "nimble".
After 6 months on the shelf, I took the R90 out two weeks ago - it is as nice as ever, but it won't be a weekly flier like the 600 is now.

The YS 56 does bog down on the 600 whereas the .91 on the R90 is un-bogable. I could "fix" that with a YS / OS 60 engine on the 600. I could also convert it to a "Big Block" and mount the YS 91SR 3DS in the 600. But, not a 105 (lol).
Old 10-16-2013, 05:50 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I fly a G4 with a YS 120 with a head speed of 1650. Fight time is 11 minutes and when I shoot autos it's 13 minutes.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:16 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes - the low head speed definitely has its advantages.
Guys that I fly with will turn down the HS by 10% and get an extra 1 to 2 min per flight - of course, at the expense of their extreme stunts.

However, the G4 is NOT a Raptor 90 SE with the TT flybar head. Even if your G4 has the TT G4 flybar head.

I would say the G4 (even with a flybar) has all the capability to take advantage of the 120 when you don't want to stick to low head speed (cyclic and collective range - etc).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in