Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters

500 Class Electric Helicopters 500 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2011, 08:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default thinking of ordering hk 500 need advise on pinion and batteries

Hey guys,

i've been flying helis for a year or so. started with an mcx then msr, sr120, sr, mcpx and recently bought and built a trex 450 pro v2 3gx wich i love.
With winter coming i'm looking for something to keep me busy when i get bored so i am thinking of ordering a hk 500 cmt.
i've got all the parts figured out and am going with the typhoon 500 motor and turnigy superbrain 80A esc.
Now i have a few questions regarding batteries and motor pinion so that i don't run a to high headspeed.

Since the only pinion available for the 500 on hobbyking is a 13T pinion, would it be better to use 5s lipo's? would they work okay with the motor/esc combo? or better go with 6s lipo's and order a 11T pinion from elsewhere?

Last edited by -kenny-; 11-18-2011 at 02:41 PM..
-kenny- is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2011, 02:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

nobody?
Old 11-18-2011, 03:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I may or may not be of help.... Ive been flying for around a year to, I have a couple of hk500gt's I currenty have a hobbymate 1700kv motor on a 11T Pinion, a revco hardone, I found the 12t was ok but the 11t gave me a headspeed I was happy with with the motor running in the 90-100% range. I was using a 5s battery by the way.
tobys550 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2011, 04:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

most of the guys here seem to use 13T pinion with the Std 6S setup. With that motor though you will just need to set your Throttle curve at no more than 80% or yeah get a 12T pinon elsewhere or at your LHS
Either that or just get the 1600Kv 500 motor, you can run that fine on the 13T pinion.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I use a 5S set up, 12T pinion with the 1800kv motor. VERY smooth head speed with a flat 90% TC, holding about 2300 RPMs, with a Castle ICE 100A ESC, just barely gets warm. The batteries are Turnigy 3000mAh 5S 30C. I get 7 minutes light sport, 6 minute FFF, and put back 2200mAh.
I went 5S because as a beginner, I didnt need screaming power, and the batts are cheaper. I found I really like this set up right now in FF. I may want to move to 6S next year, if I get alittle more ballsy and start doing alittle harder throwing around.
The combo of the 1800kv motor, 12T pinion, and 5S batts have worked well for me. With a flat 90% TC, the head is rock solid stable...
HC500SE ....GO TEAM FLYBAR!
Blayd is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2011, 05:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

My CMT is all Align now, except the side frames and the Boom, but you can find 12T pinions, and even 11's. I have several. Just be sure they are .6 Mod.
ReadyHeli has them...http://www.readyheli.com/06M-5mm-Sha...er_c_5053.html
Oh, and I am VERY happy with the Turnigy 1800kv motor. I have three, but the original is still running smooth as silk, after over a year so far, even after two crashes. Heck, for the price, the 500H is a great buy.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blayd View Post
My CMT is all Align now, except the side frames and the Boom, but you can find 12T pinions, and even 11's. I have several. Just be sure they are .6 Mod.
ReadyHeli has them...http://www.readyheli.com/06M-5mm-Sha...er_c_5053.html
Oh, and I am VERY happy with the Turnigy 1800kv motor. I have three, but the original is still running smooth as silk, after over a year so far, even after two crashes. Heck, for the price, the 500H is a great buy.
The Readyheli pinions seem great, they have made my heli quieter and apparently dont wear the main teeth as quick.
tobys550 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2011, 06:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by -kenny- View Post
Since the only pinion available for the 500 on hobbyking is a 13T pinion, would it be better to use 5s lipo's? would they work okay with the motor/esc combo? or better go with 6s lipo's and order a 11T pinion from elsewhere?
You're better off to not limit yourself to just what HK has.
I got a pack of 5 different pinions for like 5 bucks or something
like that at either HDirect or ReadyHeli.

Don't agonize over pinion sizes. Get a pack of 5 and have the ability
to try different ones and see what it yields for headspeed.

Certainly....don't let availability of 1 pinion size determine
what lipo you should get.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by flerpie View Post
You're better off to not limit yourself to just what HK has.
I got a pack of 5 different pinions for like 5 bucks or something
like that at either HDirect or ReadyHeli.

Don't agonize over pinion sizes. Get a pack of 5 and have the ability
to try different ones and see what it yields for headspeed.

Certainly....don't let availability of 1 pinion size determine
what lipo you should get.
What he said.....
I got the 5 pack as well from HD I think.. its a good idea to be able to switch. Sometimes you might want to try a motor and could use another pinion then the one your flying. I changed several times on my HC500 until I got a headspeed I really liked.
Like Flerpie said, lipo/pinion/motor decisions are an equation of sorts, finding a range your comfortable with. Dont let one dictate the other. My 5S set up is very nice FOR ME. Many people want more power in the thrust available in flight and go for the 6S set up. I personnal dont need to rocket out of a pitch pump...but it definitly has its advantages when your flying harder.
Old 11-19-2011, 01:39 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the advise. Best go with a set of different pinions then. I'm really curious about the hk helis. I didn't think i would ever order one but here i am. The user reviews are mostly good and the price is almost unbelievable. I wasn't planning on buying another heli but with winter coming, you have to keep busy right?
Old 11-19-2011, 01:41 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Dont buy a HK helicopter. Its just an useless pile of crap. They never work and tends to explode in the air for no reason. They are dangerous and should be forbidden.
You are way better of with a 4 channel coaxial toy helicopter. With that you at least can learn something an get a little airtime.
I would say that even a walkera is "better" than a HK helicopter.
pxpep is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2011, 09:14 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

yes the tail will explode. replace the 2mm tail bolts with dubros, the stock ones are crap. also replace the feathering shaft with align part, the thread on the stock is not good, your main blade grips will pull right out. all this happened on the maiden flight. the typhoon motor are about 1900kv, more suited for 5s, I am now using the hobbymate 1700 motor and esc combo, quite happy with them. you could also try hitec 225 servo for cyclic these solid and best bang for the buck.
blue_smoker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2011, 10:20 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

wow that's a hard judgement. i take it you have had a bad experience with a hk heli? i never wanted to buy a hk heli before, but the more user reviews i read the more i got convinced. seems like lots of people find them to be pretty good and have lots of trouble free flights and fun with them. i just bought and built a trex 450 pro v2 about 2 months ago and i enjoyed building it very much.
since the days are getting shorter and the weather worse i really want something new to build but i don't feel like spending another 800 euros on an align kit + receiver + batteries. so i started looking into hk helis. seems i can have a complete hk 500 cmt for under 400 euros, including rx AND 4 lipo's...
add to that a couple of genuine align parts i would immediatly replace just to be sure like the feathering shaft and the taildrive belt at least.
Old 11-19-2011, 12:01 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by -kenny- View Post
wow that's a hard judgement. i take it you have had a bad experience with a hk heli? i never wanted to buy a hk heli before, but the more user reviews i read the more i got convinced. seems like lots of people find them to be pretty good and have lots of trouble free flights and fun with them. i just bought and built a trex 450 pro v2 about 2 months ago and i enjoyed building it very much.
since the days are getting shorter and the weather worse i really want something new to build but i don't feel like spending another 800 euros on an align kit + receiver + batteries. so i started looking into hk helis. seems i can have a complete hk 500 cmt for under 400 euros, including rx AND 4 lipo's...
add to that a couple of genuine align parts i would immediatly replace just to be sure like the feathering shaft and the taildrive belt at least.
+1
If done correctly a Clone build can represent great value for money.
I have built a few t-rex clones and understand the limitations of certain parts and always replace them for align. I'm no stick banger but my helis fly great for my needs
Also just because they come "90% assembled" doesn't mean you can just bolt on the last few bits throw in elecs and fly. Anyone with half a brain will go through the entire build and check everything for loctite and binding. This tends to prevent them from "exploding for no reason
FYI align kits can explode too if they are not correctly built
Old 11-19-2011, 01:00 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I guess there will always be people who love clones and people who hate them. I think if you rebuild and check everything and replace vital parts like feathering shaft and tailblade grip bolts with align parts you can rule out most of the issues that come with a clone kit. I've read many threads of people flying them completely stock, without a problem. I have no experience with clones at all but at that price they sure are tempting. There are a lot of issues to read about with align kits too. And these cost 4 times the price of a clone.
Old 11-19-2011, 01:45 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have an HK 500gt its ok.... There are some problems with it. But its a low cost 500 heli. I started making up a list of upgrades for this heli and most of the parts I wanted were in the Tarot kit stock. The total cost was cheaper to buy the kit and then add other parts to it. I have less then 225.00 in my Tarot now and there are only two plastic part left on the heli and thats the angle arms on the Swash. The HK 500gt will be my back up/parts heli..... or I may just finish building it for my son.
It cost money no matter witch way you go. Align kits have problems to...So far I'm happy with the kits I have HK500gt and the Tarot 500. The Tarot is the better out of the box kit. Even over the Trex 500e witch is Aligns basic kit clone fighter. Just buy one and get flying !
Or if your like me buy one and get building!
MrHeliNewbie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2011, 12:00 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I too built an HK500GT over the summer. It's not a bad cheapie heli to build, although I would recommend replacing majority of the parts such as the main gears, main blades, all the screws (as the heads strip and when loctite is used, the shaft can shear), and the tail assembly. Mine didn't come with thrust bearings either. The set-up I have listed is:

Motor: Exceed Helium 1500kv motor - $26.00 hobbypartz.com (runs great)
ESC: Hobbywing Pentium 80Amp OPTO hobbypartz.com (heard horror stories about this ESC, but I haven't had any issues. I think it's hit or miss) - (runs cool)
External BEC: Western Robotics Hercules High Current BEC: $50.00 (works great)
Battery: 6S 3000mAh 30C Sky Lipo $40.00 hobbypartz.com
6S 2650mAh 30C Sky Lipo $36.00 hobbypartz.com
3S 1000mAh 20C Sky Lipo $6.00 hobbypartz.com
Servos: (3) HS-225BB $18.00 each (sport flying) servocity.com
(1) HS-5245MG Digital $50.00 servocity.com
Gyro: Futaba GY401 $70.00 (got mine on RR-rock solid) look around, you don't have to buy new.
Pinion: 12T (Running at 2619rpm; TC set to 0, 55, 75, 85, 85 - great for sport flying) amainhobbies.com
Main Frame screw set: $7.00 amainhobbies.com
Align Gear assembly: 164T main (2) $12.00 amainhobbies.com
Align Tail Case/ Assembly: Metal Tail (belt assembly) $43.00 amain....
Spare parts list: (2) booms, (4) main shafts, (2) LG sets, (3) flybar rods, assorted colored tail blades, .... the basics.

I had added up the cost of the build to be around $475-500 (I can't remember off hand right now). It's about the same as a basic T-rex 500 combo.

Some build notes:
1. The stock battery tray was too high for the lipos I had bought, so I dropped the tray about 1.25 inches. (eye balled the holes)
2. The kit didn't come with enough servo spacers, so I bought an Align pack for about $5.00 at my LHS. They are much needed because the HS-255BB's are a tight fit.
3. Make sure you take apart the head assembly and loctite EVERY screw. Mine had zero. I used medium (blue). And make sure you grease ALL bearings.
4. The boom supports came un-assembled. I epoxied the ends.
5. Comes without a manual. Google it and you'll find an Align 500 manual PDF.
6. The canopy is plastic and came cracked. So I bought a blue flying shark, fiberglass for about $20.00.
7. PC - -2, 0, +2, +6, +11

That's all I remember off hand right now. It was a great build experience as I learned what components work and don't work. Hope this helps in your decision making.
BoozinFlyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2011, 01:40 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

If i bought one i think i would immediately replace main gear, autorotarion gear with collar and one way bearing, main shaft, feathering shaft, landing gear, taildrive belt and tailbladegrips with hub for original align parts. This adds about 90 euros to the price making it 280 shipped. This makes it pretty good bang for buck i think. I think changing those parts elliminates a great deal of possible problems, no?
Old 11-20-2011, 01:45 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The main gear is a 162T, not 164...

Alot of stuff can be had cheaper then stated on that last post...
you have lots of choices...thats the best thing about a 500 clone.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:53 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoozinFlyer View Post
I had added up the cost of the build to be around $475-500 (I can't remember off hand right now). It's about the same as a basic T-rex 500 combo.
If it ends up the same cost as the T-Rex 500E combo, I don't see the point why not jumping straight on the 500E.
reimorei is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in