Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Rotor Blades

Rotor Blades R/C Helicopter Rotor Blade Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2015, 09:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Zeal 325mm on Blade 450x

I've got a set of the Zeal 325mm blades (red) on my 450x, and I've found the balance point on each blade, and checked the balance on my balancer. Everything seems to check out fine, no tape needed. When I spool up the helicopter with the blades on, there are some significant transitional vibes while spooling...and once fully spun up...there are still unacceptable vibes.

I've gone through the helicopter and checked for vibes without main or tail blades, and it runs up smooth. Put just the tails on and spun it up....again...still smooth. Put the Zeal mains on and spin it up....vibrations.

I had a set of the stock Blade 325s and put them on. Spun it up and had much less transitional vibes, and once up to speed is running smooth.

The one thing I don't have is a scale to weigh each blade. Although if they balance out, I'd have to think they are close.

Before I knock the blades, I wanted to make sure I was doing all the right things.

Heli info: Blade 450x, Lynx CF Frame, Scorpion 2221-8, CC Edge Lite 50, KBDD 62mm tail blades, BeastX FBL, 2700 rpm headspeed.
XRedJar is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2015, 09:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Have you got a digital pitch gauge? Check that the Zeals are giving the same pitch on each blade?

Also, do the Zeals need washers at all in the grips?
tomatwalden is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2015, 09:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I do have a digital pitch gauge, and I've got my swash level and pitch at 0 mid stick on a linear pitch curve (50%). They do have washers with them and I installed them with the washers. There was no play in the blade grips when I had the blades set to the correct tension.

I went back and made sure my blade tracking was good last night as well. I'm still a novice though, and thats why I'm here seeking advice to see if I'd missed anything.

Would it make a difference if the set of Zeal blades are heavier than the stock original blades overall?
Old 04-10-2015, 10:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

You don't need a scale... Best way to balance blades is to bolt them together with a bolt and nut and rest the bolt head and nut on the rim of two glasses (both the same) and see how they balance....If they are out of balance ... I take a spray can of clear coat and paint the lighter one until balanced... works everytime on any size heli......

also put your cyclic at exactly mid-stick and fold the blades back until they touch... they should line up exactly and be parallel with the tail boom... if not... adjust the link from swash to blade grip.. You'll have to go into the FBL for this...step "J" I think on the AR7200 for the swash to go into set-up mode... Your swash has to be perfectly leveled from step "G" and correct height first...

P.s. Use a little as possible clear-coat at a time...

If all that don't work.... check your feathering shaft
Gaui x7 14s yge320 072515 (2 min 5 sec)
fastblade is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2015, 10:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks much!! I used a blade balancer and all looked good there. I like your idea about the clear coat though.

I used the method you described to get the tracking set right. I checked that the blades were even with the grip link inline with each of the swash links.

I'm sort of at a loss....

No blades - no vibes
Tail blades only - no vibes
Stock Blade brand CF blades - minimal transitional vibes - gone when at flying headspeed
Zeal blades - significant transitional vibes - slightly less fully spun up
Old 04-10-2015, 11:02 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Then replace your feathering shaft...redo step "J" and check....The slightest bend will throw it out of whack....then your main shaft...
Gaui x7 14s yge320 072515 (2 min 5 sec)
fastblade is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2015, 11:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastblade View Post
Then replace your feathering shaft...redo step "J" and check....The slightest bend will throw it out of whack....then your main shaft...

I can certainly give that a shot and see what happens. The mainshaft is new, but easy to replace and try another one. Both the main and feathering shaft should only have a few flights on them, and no crashes. I sometimes forget how fragile the feathering shafts can be though...so definitely worth a look......thanks!!
Old 04-10-2015, 12:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRedJar View Post

Would it make a difference if the set of Zeal blades are heavier than the stock original blades overall?
No, more the opposite. Heavier blades tend to be more stable. But if you've got an inherent wobble anyway regardless of blades, it may be that something else is the problem and the different blades are just highlighting it.
tomatwalden is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2015, 08:37 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I flew it this weekend with the stock blades back on and it seemed to do ok. I'm going to work on it a bit later in the week, and see if I can work it out.

Going to put in a Lynx main shaft with the lock collar, and not have to worry about shims anymore. Also will put in a new feathering shaft, but I did not see any play in the one currently in it. I've got the Lynx swash plate coming too. The steeper angle under the ball links should make setup easier. Having issues with binding if I run much more than 11 degrees collective pitch and getting the cyclic range set to the blue light.

From what I can see....I'm thinking your right and something is tweaked just a bit somewhere.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in