Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Electric Micro/Mini Helicopters > X400 and MX400

X400 and MX400 Ark X400 and HeliMax MX400 Helicopters Information

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2008, 05:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Setup with 2100 gyro and servo

Hello, I'm trying to get my tail dialed in on my x400pro-3d. I'm using a Multiplex Royal Evo 9 and the tail servo is a Futaba 3107. The servo was just one I had lying around and I believe its more suited as a cyclic servo. I'm not too familiar with what makes a good tail servo or not and was wondering if I should even use the 3107 after what I saw today.

I watched Finless's video on this gyro and followed all of the steps. I was on the step where you fly the heli in rate mode and adjust the servo mount so that the tail is pretty steady. I had to move the servo pretty far forward on the boom to get it steady. Once it was steady I tried readjusting the end points and noticed that I had to rotate the servo arm a bit in order to still have full travel of the tail. Does this sound right?

So once I got that done I added some gain slowly to see how it would hold. I brought it up to the point where the tail wagged, which according to the red lights on the gyro, was rather low. Its at maybe the third or fourth red light when it starts wagging. I can't see what percentage it is exactly on the radio since I'm using one of the sliders to adjust gain.

Anyway, the problem I was having, is that the tail is still rather twitchy and moves around a bit. Its not like its wagging, but the servo seems to be too slow or something, which causes the gyro to over compensate from what I can tell. Plus, I have the rotation speed set all the way down (light to the left) and it still pyro's insanely fast.

I have a generic "Hextronik HXT900" servo lying around that I could try out, but I didnt want to wast time if there was something I could do to fix the current situation.

Sorry for the wordy thread, this is my first "serious" helicopter. I started on a blade cp pro and got to the point where I felt I could move up. I'm just frustrated that all I can do on this one is hover since I can't really put much faith in the tail. (very scared of crazy fast pyro's )

Thanks for the help guys, you're great!
TheCrow is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2008, 10:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

Get a better tail servo. I tried a 3107 when i built my mx 400. It is way to weak to hold the tail. I think its too weak for any where on the heli. I use a s9650 for my tail. It might be overkill for this size heli but it works great. For the other three I use HD-2216HB. They work great so far and at 18.00 each I have no complaints. The difference between the 3107 and the HD-2216HB on the controls is very noticeable.
Desmotwin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2009, 02:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Well after a lot of trial and error I think I figured out the problem. It had to do with several problems actually, besides this gyro just being really finicky.

1. Tail linkage; the control arm screw would vibrate loose even with loctite, causing slop, which led to tail wag. This fowled a lot of my troubleshooting before I realized what was happening.

2. Gyro mount; I had a ziptie and one layer of double sided tape holding the gyro down. Now I have two layers, and a layer under the ziptie where it contacts the gyro.

3 Atmosphere; This gyro is super sensitive to temperature change. Even after letting it acclimate to the outside temp. it wouldn't hold at all in HH mode on a cold day (30-50F) On a warm day it held great, no problems whatsoever and I got some great flights in.

Since its winter now, I'll be troubleshooting some more to get better results in the cold. Im going to try and recalibrate the gyro while its cold to see if I can get the warm weather performance in that temp. range. Maybe it wont perform well in warm temperatures after that? Its a good thing the recalibration only takes a few minutes.

Thanks for the suggestions, I think for now the servo I have on there will do fine for me. I haven't quite gotten to the point where I'm doing much backwards flight or inverted maneuvers.
TheCrow is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2009, 11:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default Setup with 2100 gyro and servo

I have an application where I need a servo to go back and forth in Pt mode. Goes forward great; I need it to reverse directions on the fly. Any suggestions?
bigpipe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in