Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Engines and Mufflers

Engines and Mufflers Having problems or need advice on Engines or Mufflers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2010, 06:07 PM   #61 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Ok here's a fun one for the group: I'm using my NR57 w/ OS #8 plug in my Velocity 50 and I'm beginning to have trouble with the low speed needle closing itself in flight. It seems very loose to me and it's killing the engine. I've been running it a quarter turn richer than stock while my high speed needle is about 2.25 out from full in. Running 30% Rotor Rage fuel with the recommended shims for 30. Engine runs fine when the low needle is set right.

Thoughts?
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2010, 11:43 PM   #62 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Guess there's not much activity here. I didn't want to have to call NR but I suppose I will. Anyone chime in if you've got ideas please.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:24 PM   #63 (permalink)
Registered Users

After a couple of tanks, does the LSN behave itself? You might have a dry o-ring. Part# 11005 from the exploded view. You could also try pulling the needle out, and soaking the o-ring in fuel. Might help troubleshoot anyways......
Old 04-14-2010, 12:10 PM   #64 (permalink)
Registered Users

How do you see my engine... its after 100 Tanks...!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v1k_lfd_aA[/ame]
MaSt0RaS is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2010, 01:40 AM   #65 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi
your engine after 100 tanks loock good to me.
Just I see the color in the head, dark brounw. I don't know wath fuel you use but if i was you I will try now without eny change (just a cleaning) to take off one 0.1 shim becasue he tell you that is undercompressed.

The rest is fine.
Please let em know.
Luca
ininverno is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2010, 06:52 AM   #66 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ininverno View Post
Hi
your engine after 100 tanks loock good to me.
Just I see the color in the head, dark brounw. I don't know wath fuel you use but if i was you I will try now without eny change (just a cleaning) to take off one 0.1 shim becasue he tell you that is undercompressed.

The rest is fine.
Please let em know.
Luca
the egine was running More than Fine....
NOw i will go from 20 to 30% nitro..

I had 0.4 shims and now to go to 0.5 or to leave them on 0.4???
My fuel is optifuel...

Thx Luca..
Old 04-15-2010, 03:06 PM   #67 (permalink)
Registered Users

and after i clean the engine... what do you say?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ui_cWWHtOPU[/ame]
Old 04-22-2010, 11:59 AM   #68 (permalink)
Registered Users

OK after two gallons of hovering trying to tune this motor i give up...
Firstly yes i have read the carb seting manual!!!!
I have tried .04 shim .05 shim then all shims..enya 3, os8, osA5. os R5 plugs
moved needles in and out etc.....
motor has this fluttering sound to it that vibs the heli kicking tail and so on.
I can get it to run quite good on the top end in idle up but in a hover with lower rpm when the carb comes down on to the low needle is starts to flutter, tune the flutter out in hover get it back in idle up. it will never seem to tune no matter what i do.
It appears to run rich with lots of smoke but when i lean the motor it runs lean and sounds and performs lean but with lots of smoke.
I thinking its a carb problem, im no noob when it comes to tuning a motor but this has me beat...

Rotorage 30
temps are good
pulled motor and inspected all internals, and they all look like new.
i have spent hours and hours with it...but now its time to move on

Last edited by TheDuck; 04-23-2010 at 11:53 AM..
TheDuck is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2010, 12:11 PM   #69 (permalink)
Registered Users

I bought this carb from Gernejr trying to solve an engine issue that turned out to be a manufacture defect in the motor. Engine is going back to Novarossi.
The carb is beautifully machined, polished, ported!
Bought a OS55 HZ so i dont need this amazing carb anymore.

please see the link for info

http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/t...varossi+os+carb

$65 shipped
Old 05-06-2010, 01:30 AM   #70 (permalink)
Registered Users

New video of Tareq with STD rex 57 with STD 10 mm 2 needles carb.
Wath you need more???
ahahah
enjoy the video.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCtwjE-TOC4&feature=player_embedded[/ame]
Old 05-06-2010, 07:23 AM   #71 (permalink)
Registered Users

As i said it was a manufactureing defect, Novarossi has issued me a full refund. Possibly a known issue? dont care..just going to what works for me and always has....OS BABY
Old 05-08-2010, 06:35 PM   #72 (permalink)
Registered Users

OK first weekend on the Velocity and OS 55......WOW no vibs, no crazy stuff with FBL, just smooth powerful with no problems.....what a difference from the Novarossi 57.
Just my experience with the hole deal..

OS BABY !!
Old 05-10-2010, 02:49 PM   #73 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi folks,

I'm involved into RC hobby since the mid eighties and into heli flying since 2007. So I've had countless nitro engines over the years, especially during the time I was involved with nitro offroad buggies.

Novarossi has always been a highly respected trademark for me and for all my friends that shared and actually share my passion. They are worldwide known for their powerfull and durable engines and have proven that in many races and championships.

So I knew that I have to try out the new Novarossi HR57 engine when I noticed that it was available here in Austria because I was sure that it would be an awesome engine, not to say powerplant.

When I opened the engine box, my eyes widened, the engine is a really work of art. Everything is built and manufactured upon perfection.
I do not want to say that the other brands of heli engines are not great engines, but the Rex HR57 looks like the next level - in my opinion. So you can cleary understand for what you've paid the money.

Not to mention the Rex pipe... when the folks from my flying club first saw the new Rex pipe on my Raptor they were deeply impressed and comments like 'Uuuuh, a Novarossi... you're sure your Raptor won't explode?! Those engines are strong as hell' followed.

Before I built in the engine, I had several questions which I wanted to discuss.
I searched the RC boards and quickly found out, that Novarossi had a team pilot (also involved into development of the engines) who was willing to answer all the questions regarding the new Novarossi Rex heli engines... his name?! => Luca Invernizzi

And I have to say that I've never experienced such a kind and professional support before. I sent quite a couple of emails to Luca and asked every little detail that I wasn't sure... and Luca answered every single question from my side... in a competent and friendly way...

I think this is an outstanding support that is worth to mention...
I have flown quite a number of other brands in my heli and most of the time I had to find the answers to questions regarding engine setting, spare parts, etc. on my own... or on different RC boards...
but what's better than getting engine questions answered from the person that has been involved into development of the engine such as Luca Invernizzi has been?!

One of the points why I would buy a Rex heli engine again at any time...

When I tried to fire the HR57 up for the first time, I realised how much compression the italian beauty had... almost too much for my starter... LOL
after the first tanks I added one 0,1 shim because I realised that compression was almost too strong.

Now that I've put about 3 gallons of fuel through it I can say that this engine is a real powerplant... carb setting was easy - especially with Luca's help.

So I can't understand the input from 'The Duck'... only thing that I can say is that this carb is working differently than others carbs on the market. So unless you haven't understood how it works you should better not get the engine fired up and get some advice from Luca's site instead...

Vibrations haven't been an issue for me since the carb is set up correctly...
if the engine is running too rich or compression isn't adjusted correctly you can get trouble with vibrations - at least that's my experience...
but as mentioned: my engine runs like a swiss watch... smooth and reliable...

So my advice to everybody who has troubles with vibrations: check your compression (add one shim under the glowplug and see if things get better... if so, then you should add one head shim at a time until you've found the optimum compression setting), your needle settings and also your glowplug.

If doing so you will get outstanding performance at any throttle position and with any given pitch level that a 50 class helicopter can offer.

Before I built in the Rex HR57 into my Raptor 50 I was running an OS Hyper SX... and if it comes to compare the both engines I would say: the Novarossi starts to perform where the OS stops... at least that's my opinion.

I was so impressed with the engine and the provided service that I recently bought a Novarossi Rex plane engine for my SIG wonder plane.
And again I had some questions... regarding a matching prop for running in, recommended fuel and also needle setting of the carb.
So I contacted Novarossi Italy and asked them for help.
Within a day a Novarossi team pilot contacted me by email (Allen Worley, Novarossi enthusiast and Novarossi importer for the US) and answered all my questions...

And again: also the plane engine is AWESOME...
it outperforms any other engine of the same size...

My opinion: outstanding engines and outstanding customer support which is unique in this combination...

Best Regards,

Michael Roedig
Michael Roedig is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2010, 03:16 PM   #74 (permalink)
Registered Users

Firstly try comparing the Rossi to the new 55HZ not the 50 SX...
Secondly....why chase compression settings via head shims and plug shims then chase plugs to get the motor to run correctly when you can run an OS out of the box.
Look at the OS55HZ carb compared to the Rossi....no comparison the OS three needle is a beauty.
Not saying the motor is not powerful because it is...IMO you have to run a fine line between power and tuneability/smooth running i believe the Rossi in some cases is too close to that line causing MANY people to have problems.
I know how to tune this carb thats not the issue and new that would be the response by many people.
Its done now.. i spent alot of hours with this motor trying to get it right. moved onto OS and everything is good out of the box.
Just my $.02
Old 05-10-2010, 03:44 PM   #75 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hm, no real interest in buying an OS engine any more.

For what chasing compression settings and plug choice is concerned: those are things which should be done with any engine on the market in respect of the fuel type's nitro content. The only point ist, that for example OS or Yamada do not mention that within their manuals. Novarossi does...

I've also added an extra head shim to my Yamada since I'm running it with 30% Rapicon... not a bad idea at all, for the engine runs much better since...

And carb setting of the Novarossi isn't more time consuming than OS, Yamada, etc.

These are my 2 cents...

Best Regards,

Michael

PS.: It's a Novarossi, not ROSSI... Rossi is a different company...
Michael Roedig is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2010, 02:05 AM   #76 (permalink)
Registered Users

Dear Michael
Is a great new to mee see here that ONE more Novarossi user is SUPER happy for the Novarossi package.
About the duck, almost evrithing in that post is sick of your OS information, this is a NOVAROSSI howner thread, if you want talk about OS please use a different thread... or maybe not my opinion but the really situation... too many are the OS thread with issue, in bearing, in piston etc etc than is easy for you come in Novarossi forum and talk about OS.
Please thinks about you do.. is almost miserable, nobody of us here ask you to buy a Novarossi, this thread is for the Novarossi user STOP. if you like more other brand go there, no problem, is a pleasure to us.
Old 05-13-2010, 01:06 PM   #77 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default LOVE MY 91 AND 57

Hello Guys,

I have been flying airplanes and helis for over 20 years. So i like to think I know a little bit about rc engines.

I have been running the Novarossi 91 in my Trex 700 and the Novarossi 57 in my Trex 600 for a while now and have to say switching to Novarossi has been great.

I think all the comments that Michael Roedig posted were right on the money, I couldn't have said it better or will even try.

And the customer service that I have experienced has been OVER THE TOP.Luca from Novarossi and Zach from Lynx have always answered all my questions and concerns quckly and expertly.

I am now and will always be a loyal and devoted Novarossi and Lynx customer.

By the way everybody, both these motors make STUPID POWER with great reliability and ease of adjustment.

If anyone out there is having trouble I recommend emailing the people that can help and I promice they will help you as they helped me.

One last thing anybody that is having the same kind of trouble with the stripping of screws or breaking on the Trex 700 that I had needs to go to the Lynx website and order the replacement screws they offer they are the best.

Thanks
Mike Gaeta
Gator1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2010, 02:35 AM   #78 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Guy
here a important news:
http://www.novarossi.it/eng/news/re...d=105&brand=rex

Coming soon
Lynx already place order
soon I will update the Lynx web site, I work in now.
The new carburetor con be used as update in the actual engine.
I just can say you that is amazing, easy to tune and so so performant.
The new specification of the 57 withthe 3 n carb are amazing.

The engine don't have any change , just the carb new carb.
any question are welcome.
TTYL
Old 05-26-2010, 06:14 PM   #79 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I've got a about 1-1/2 jugs of fuel through my new 57, and all I can say is WOW. Still right around stock needle settings, about 4-3/4 on low, and 2 less 3 or 4 clicks on high. OS8 plug, as the H3 plug that came with mine was DOA. Temp is 105-110C consistantly. This thing has GOBS of power, and I'm only on 15% nitro. Can't wait to use up my fuel stock, so I can switch to 30%. Tuning was easier than my OS 50.

Cheers,

HC
Old 06-03-2010, 02:23 AM   #80 (permalink)
Registered Users

Anyone knows if the OS 55H carb will fit in the REX HR57 ?
msdavid is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in