Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Walkera Helicopters > 4G3

4G3 Walkera 4G3 Helicopter Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2009, 08:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Jade Brushless Tail Upgrade

http://www.chinesejade.com/walkera4G3Upgrade.htm

Recently I ordered a brushless tail upgrade and I was a little disappointed. It came with close to a dozen of wires that need soldered and poor instructions. It was very misleading since all the rest of the upgrades show everything in a nice harness all put together. I spent a little more to get what appeared to be the better upgrade with instructions that say "best of luck" with matching the wires up. That is ridiculous and it couldnt have been too hard for someone at their plant to markd them.

Anyway, has anyone upgraded there's with one of these; or, are know of any better instructions that have been put together?

4G3 Tail Brushless Solution Combo
This combo has: 2.9g Outrunner Brushless Motor, Special Esc, Special Made Brushless Motor Holder, and Pair of plug.
Item No: HM-FULL-ComboTailBL
Price: US$84.39 Now Only $58.00
offroadjeep is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2009, 09:50 AM   #2 (permalink)

I was just going to post today that my Novus CP finally lost the tailmotor. I looked at clubheli and found lost of parts etc.... can any one detail the best/current fix for this? perhaps with a list of all parts required I wanted to hear form someone that has done it before I submited an order somewhere...... thanks... oh., and does anyone have the wood or CF rotor blades?? how are they.?
gcshelipilot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2009, 06:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I never got that combo but from what I understand this is how you do it. In the picture it says "to brushless motor", The 3 wires that come out of the motor should be soldered there, each wire at a different spot. If the motor spins backward then you will have to switch 2 of the 3 wires, doesn't matter which one.

It looks you have to make a battery splitter too. The rx and the esc both need power and the only what to get it to both is to back a splitter for the battery. Make a parallel y harness. It should look like this. One end goes to the esc and the other end goes to the esc.

You will have one more wire coming out of the esc, which will be a black wire. That wire plugs into the tail motor port on the rx. Thats where the esc gets its signal from.

gcshelipilot,
This is what I did. You definitely want to go double brushless, lots more power. I got a walkera bruhsless motor and 2.9g bruhsless motor.
I ended up BL tail motor holder from http://www.micro-heli-concepts.com/
He is just starting out and the site is brand new. He is really nice and totally trustworthy. I am not sure if you can buy directly from his website yet. PM him and ask. Everything on his website he is selling you just may have to pm him to get your order in. He is on RCGRoups and his name is jasonjetski.
I got the esc and 2.9g motor and walkera BL motor from chinesejade.
empty_space is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2009, 11:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Talking

Hi,and thank you for the kind words.
It is always nice to hear people when are happy.
The website is up and running.
There has been a small problem where you just need to register and log in to add items to your cart.
Iam sure that is no big issue if you know about it.
One other thing with the site also customers are receiving FREE postage. I will be fixing that up shortly as it isn't intentional,but nobody has complained about the postage being free yet.
Slowly,I will be adding more little carbon fiber fins and some tailcases as I get them ready to sell.
Thanks again.
Jason
jasonjetski is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2009, 08:00 AM   #5 (permalink)

Default Awesome!

Thanks for the assistance and suggestion, And I will follow to the letter.. Looking forward to 4g6........ someday.
gcshelipilot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2009, 12:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

You'll save weight and have a better connection if you piggy-back solder the power wires onto the terminals for the power wires on the main esc. Then it's just a matter of connecting the single white wire to the pin on the 4 in 1 that the black wire for the brushed tail motor used to connect to, then solder on the wires that go to the motor. It's 50/50 whether the motor will spin the correct way first time round - which I guess is why it says 'good luck' in the instructions

I have one of Jason's tail motor holders too and highly recommend them

Blade 400, mSR, mCPX - Sonix SX450SE - Walkera 1#A, 4#3, 4#3A, 4#3B, 4G3
Dusty1000 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2009, 08:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Dusty1000 that's very clean. was that tail mod easy to install? How long did it take you to install that? I'd be buying one of them from jasonjetski, I'm hoping he will make a set of vertical and horizontal fins. Do you know, if he will be making any?
walkera4g3 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2009, 06:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I got the same thing that Dusty 1000 has and its an easy install and very quick.. The hardest part is trying to get the motor in the motor holder, its a tight fit but thats good. That way it doesn't come out. From what I know he only makes vertical tail fins. You could always ask him if he will make any.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:14 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkera4g3 View Post
Dusty1000 that's very clean. was that tail mod easy to install? How long did it take you to install that? I'd be buying one of them from jasonjetski, I'm hoping he will make a set of vertical and horizontal fins. Do you know, if he will be making any?
This was one of Jason's early ones, check his site out, link above, he makes a variety of designs these days, not sure about horizontal fins but then they're really just for show - unnecessary weight in my book.

Was a dawdle to fit, like empty_space says it's tight getting the motor in, my motor fell out first time I crashed, when I put it back in it seemed to go in tighter than it did before so probably I hadn't fitted it properly first time around - it's been fine ever since.
It's really neat, simple and solid - it's probably the toughest part on my 4G3

Dusty
Blade 400, mSR, mCPX - Sonix SX450SE - Walkera 1#A, 4#3, 4#3A, 4#3B, 4G3
Dusty1000 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2009, 10:26 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I bought one of those sets, too, but haven't got around to install it. However, I found the wires running through the boom to the motor to be very thin (around 0.2mm diam) and replaced them with 0.5mm diameter laquer insulated wires (quite a bit heavier). I recall someone mentioning the use of thicker wires but has anyone noticed any benefit?

With a length of about 20 cms each one loses about 0.2 V per A with the original wires while with the thicker ones this goes down by almost a factor of eight.

Does anyone know the peak current through these wires?

Don

Last edited by DonDuc; 08-10-2009 at 04:54 AM.. Reason: can't multiply
DonDuc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2009, 06:44 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty1000 View Post
Was a dawdle to fit, like empty_space says it's tight getting the motor in, my motor fell out first time I crashed, when I put it back in it seemed to go in tighter than it did before so probably I hadn't fitted it properly first time around - it's been fine ever since.
It's really neat, simple and solid - it's probably the toughest part on my 4G3

Dusty
It's definitely durable. MY tail BL motor's shaft bent before my motor popped out. I tried to replace the shaft but I messed up the motor and threw it out.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Guys,
I will just leave this picture here.
It is just another variation of tail fin Iam considering making many designs of fins/motor holders this way as the CF is very strong and allthough you can't see it in the picture,They use delrin plastic for the boom clamp due to its strength.
It is still in the testing stage,but should be a winner,I hope anyway.
Regards Jason
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stock pictures 019.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	110831   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stock pictures 021.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	110832  
jasonjetski is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2009, 01:57 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Smile Done !

Finally I had time to install the kit. It was no problem at all and the thicker wires I used made it easy to slide them through the boom. The motor is quite a bit stronger than the brushed one and I had to tune down the mix pot in the Rx from almost max to about 50% and the gain is turned down as well but now the tail holds very well.

The only problem I had was to find space for the tail esc. To counteract the weight increase I wanted it as far forward as possible. The canopy is now packed full with the Rx and the two ESCs. This arrangement trapped a lot of heat but after cutting two air inlet slots into the black part of the canopy it all works fine.
DonDuc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in