Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Batteries and Charging Support > Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support

Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2013, 08:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default x-box psu for charger power source

got a newb here just getting into heli stuff and want to get a good solid lipo charger my budget is around 120 to 160 i get that if i get a good charger now that it will last for a long time and for later when i move on to bigger things so i want to get the most charger for my money now the question is if i spend the money for the charger now can i use a x box psu its rated at 12v 16.5 amps is that going to work for now till i get the money for a better power supply later on all i am charging now is the batts for my nano qx but plan on getting a nano cpx or a mcpx bl later this year feedback greatly appreciated
o.c.d.newtoys is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2013, 09:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you get a good charger you need 24v. It really is much better. The 12v will get hot. I tried a 12v but it didn't last long. Just buy the computer supplies. But for the batts you are using it can work on 12v.

Team aircapitalheli.com
Twill is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2013, 09:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by o.c.d.newtoys View Post
now can i use a x box psu its rated at 12v 16.5 amps is that going to work for now till i get the money for a better power supply later on all i am charging now is the batts for my nano qx but plan on getting a nano cpx or a mcpx bl later this year feedback greatly appreciated
You're fine with the XBox PSU. If you have it available, no problem, use it. It will do micro (nQX, mCPX, etc) batteries with no trouble at all.

I have a similar "brick" supply, it can be nice because it's silent, vs my server supplies. For even a few 450 batteries, it's fine.

Twill is right that you'll eventually want to feed your charger 24V, when you get to bigger batteries. But for what you're charging now, if you already have the XBox supply, use it.
RedOctobyr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2013, 09:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

thanks to both of you for quick reply this x-box supply has been laying in my garage for awhile and i figure the worst i can do is burn it up but am i thinking correct get the most charger for my money now and upgrade my psu later when im moving on to bigger stuff it snowing here now and if this supply will work for now on my smaller batts then its more i can put into a better charger deep cell batts i have available but not for in the house
o.c.d.newtoys is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2013, 12:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Re: x-box psu for charger power source

Bingo. Use your current PS, and put the money into the charger instead. Upgrade the PS when needed.

Lots of good threads about what charger to buy, depending on what you anticipate flying in the future, and what your budget will accommodate.

Sent using Tapatalk.
RedOctobyr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2014, 12:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey guys, i have the same question, just that i'll be charging my 450's packs.
I have a turnigy reaktor 300w and i'm currently using hk60w power supply and i was wondering if an xbox power supply does deliver the ratings and if it's safe to use it if i don't ask more from it than the specs.
And does anybody knows if it requires any modifying?
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405962928.167559.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	523426

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MishuPtm is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2014, 03:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nope, no modifying, just connect the blue wire to the red one and bundle yellow wires for positive and black ones for negative. It worked with the 175w version but not with the 205. Even so, i am able to charge my 3s packs at 11 amps. It's silent and small, and does the job just fine, not bad for a €8 power supply

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MishuPtm is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in