Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > X5

X5 Discussion and support of the Gaui X5

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2012, 11:34 PM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannylightning View Post
just turn it on to high or low ( which ever you need )

and set a flat throttle curve ( what ever you think will give you the head speed you want)

there are no other settings. gov high or low and your throttle curve. that is all
What he said, LOL. I'm trusting my rant will be a useful reference for the forum "browsers", and should give you a more accurate starting point.
Harrow is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2012, 01:35 AM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

Danny, just a thought about the governor.

Do you start in IU from TH? Or spool up in normal then into IU?

My theory is perhaps this is messing with the gov if you do start up in normal. Not sure why, just a guess

Formerly owned - Compass 7HV - Blade mCP X V2 - Blade 400 FBL BeastX
Mixmaster Pilot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2012, 05:46 AM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just changed down to a 15T from a 16T, so after Danny's experience with 15T I will be interested to see what I find. I'll report back tomorrow.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:59 AM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixmaster Pilot View Post
Danny, just a thought about the governor.

Do you start in IU from TH? Or spool up in normal then into IU?

My theory is perhaps this is messing with the gov if you do start up in normal. Not sure why, just a guess
my habbit is to turn on TH, flip the switch to IU1, turn throttle hold off and when the blades start to spin than i flip into IU2 let it spool up and take off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrow View Post
I just changed down to a 15T from a 16T, so after Danny's experience with 15T I will be interested to see what I find. I'll report back tomorrow.
cool, with a ESC like a hobby wing i would not be suprised if some of them work better than others lol,

Blade 180 CFX, Sold the rest of my stuff, I dont really fly all that often any more.
dannylightning is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2012, 06:58 PM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

Flew today with the 15T governed at about 2280 rpm. It seems to go really well. I needed to add extra throttle because of the lower gearing, and I think this put the motor and ESC in a better zone. Everything seemed more consistent.

Danny, I wonder if because you are used to flying without the governor, you might be used to the blades picking up some extra punch as they pass through zero pitch, which might suit your flying style better?
Old 02-11-2012, 08:07 PM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Flew today with the 15T governed at about 2280 rpm. It seems to go really well. I needed to add extra throttle because of the lower gearing, and I think this put the motor and ESC in a better zone. Everything seemed more consistent.

Danny, I wonder if because you are used to flying without the governor, you might be used to the blades picking up some extra punch as they pass through zero pitch, which might suit your flying style better?
The x5 is the only thing I have flown in quite some time that IS not using a gov, I hate flying without a gov but this flys vetter without one than it does with the stock one

It flew ok with it but it did not like how the gov performed Way to much bog and catch up. Less bog with gov off, way less bogging with castle gov

St from Samsung galaxy player, spelling and grammar might be worse than usual.....

Blade 180 CFX, Sold the rest of my stuff, I dont really fly all that often any more.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:29 PM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannylightning View Post
It flew ok with it but it did not like how the gov performed Way to much bog and catch up. Less bog with gov off, way less bogging with castle gov
Fair enough. In that case I'd guess that my aerobatic style of flying is simply not revealing the limitations of the governor.

From a technical perspective it probably means the stock gov has less gain and/or more damping in the control loop. It would be good if they gave the user access to adjust those things just like you can in a gyro.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:00 AM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Fair enough. In that case I'd guess that my aerobatic style of flying is simply not revealing the limitations of the governor.

From a technical perspective it probably means the stock gov has less gain and/or more damping in the control loop. It would be good if they gave the user access to adjust those things just like you can in a gyro.
if it had more adjustments i bet i could get it dialed in., i have not had any really hard flights on the X5 yet, winter time..

Old 07-09-2012, 12:41 AM   #49 (permalink)
Automotive technician - but really a rocket scientist

back to life in this thread, i turned on the gov mode high today and just had one flight, i had my TC still at flat 100 from flying without the gov. Now using the hobby wing calculator its telling me that 75% TC that you guys are saying you would use would give me 1260rpm.... and that for the gov 2200 i want i need to set my TC to 90.5%

just double checking my facts....

headspeed 2200
main gear teeth 120
pinion 15
poles 8
KV 910
cells 6
voltage norm/max/min 3.7 4.2 3.6
(not sure what this means, i cant get 2200?)head speed remainder norm max min 2525 2866 2457
GOV high
set TC 90.5%

that sound right? thanks
meatwad99si is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2012, 06:25 PM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatwad99si View Post
that sound right? thanks
No, that is not how the governor mode works. You do not use throttle % in the way that you are used to. When you are in governor mode, the throttle % in your radio is used to reference an RPM lookup table in the ESC. It's all explained in detail in my post on the first page of this thread. Although, all you really need to know is this....

1. You must use the governor HIGH mode.
2. The throttle curve should be set flat with a value around 70 to 75%.

Approximate RPM for different throttle settings with the stock 910kV motor and 15T pinion are these:

65% 1770
66% 1830
67% 1890
68% 1950
69% 2010
70% 2070
71% 2160
72% 2250
73% 2340
74% 2430
75% 2520

Let us know how you go.

Good luck,
Harrow.

Last edited by Harrow; 07-12-2012 at 03:53 AM..
Old 07-09-2012, 11:31 PM   #51 (permalink)

What i dont get is using the HOBBYWING calculator it says to use the numbers i put... Whats up with that?
Old 07-10-2012, 01:32 AM   #52 (permalink)

Ok so im suppose to put in 4 when it ask for poles? not 8? I noticed in the usb software it says Pairs of poles... Not just number of poles.

one says 90ish and then the other is 75ish like you guys are saying. A local guy that flys for gaui has his TC set at 90% with the gov on high and a 16t says hes around 2400headspeed. Ill just try both i guess. IM SO CONFUSED!!!
Old 07-10-2012, 08:05 AM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatwad99si View Post
Ok so im suppose to put in 4 when it ask for poles? not 8? I noticed in the usb software it says Pairs of poles... Not just number of poles.

one says 90ish and then the other is 75ish like you guys are saying. A local guy that flys for gaui has his TC set at 90% with the gov on high and a 16t says hes around 2400headspeed. Ill just try both i guess. IM SO CONFUSED!!!
No, you're not confused, if you are getting a value of 75ish, then you have it right. Just so you know, the table of numbers that I just posted earlier are actual values I measured with an optical tacho, and they agree with the calculated values.

If you use 90% like your friend, then the governed ESC will simply try and run as fast as it can. But if you want to govern to a constant head speed, then use the values in my table.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:31 PM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

So I tried the gov today. Based on the suggestions in this thread I tried 72% and 74% for IU 1 and 2. I thought this heli was responsive before. Holy crap. I had a Tareq Alsaadi moment. This is the fastest most responsive heli ever. I even felt that my fusion was too slow now. Not sure if I should up the fusion or tone down the X5.

GAUI
Old 07-12-2012, 09:54 PM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

I set up gov mode and also changed my voltage from 5.25 to 6V today. I was used to flying 100% flat on a 15T.

Initial impressions:
-72% flat throttle was underwhelming. 74% was a bit slow for my liking. I ended up bumping the throttle up to 74.5 and flew a few packs like this - it seemed OK.
-In a pitch pump from the negative to positive transition, I did hear the head speed ramp up instead of holding constant.
-I am getting a good 30 seconds more flight time while flying hard.

Honestly I notice a difference but don't have a huge preference one way or the other. The only place I notice the difference with 100% flat is with aggressive tic-tocs and full collective rainbows. I'll probably leave the gov mode on, I do like how the beginning of the flight is the same as the end. I may bump up the throttle percentage again, so maybe the last minute or so will be lower, but consistent for the first 4.5-5 minutes.

Last edited by lucidchaos; 07-13-2012 at 11:24 PM.. Reason: throttle correction
lucidchaos is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2012, 11:04 AM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

what timing are you guys using ? i tried my gov and the headspeed was going up and down while hovering and the tail was all over the place due to the rpms going up and down. took off the gov and it flies fine. what ami doing wrong here ? i had it set to high.

Empire Hobby/ Team Gaui USA -- Rcbearings.com
-- Cyclone Blades -- Team KDE -- A-Main Hobbies -- OMG servos
dodgeboy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2012, 01:09 PM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeboy View Post
what timing are you guys using ? i tried my gov and the headspeed was going up and down while hovering and the tail was all over the place due to the rpms going up and down. took off the gov and it flies fine. what ami doing wrong here ? i had it set to high.
I am using setting 3 with the Hobby Wing program box. I believe it is 7.5 degrees. The motor calls for 5 degrees in its specs. However I see lots of people using 15 degrees default setting and even running the Khz @ 12Khz default which for the stock motor is 8 Khz.
Old 07-14-2012, 04:38 AM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi guys, i have to add my own conclusions:

15T pinion plus governor (high or low) = total disaster, no matter what % in throttle curve, tail kicks on pitch ups, inconstant rpm (more than usual for a cheap governor like this)

16T pinion plus governor (high) = 75% throttle curve, really nice, no tail kicks or something expected like 15T. i have to test the 80% on tc but im pretty impressed with 75% so, go on and use 16T if u dont have yet
Driskol is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2013, 11:48 AM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Your feedback is welcome, as I actually have no idea what I am talking about.
Awesome statement, lol.
CB6311 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2013, 01:05 AM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was thinking about trying this out. Is there a way to do it from the radio, like when you set up the esc or do I need the programming card?

Also how well does it work? Worth turning it on or not?
fazy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in