Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Align 3G FBL System

Align 3G FBL System Align 3G FBL Flybarless System Software and Hardware Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2014, 03:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Question 3gx Not Powering Up/Binding

I was at the field today flying my 450L Dominator. I have over 50 flights on the heli with the 3gx so far, and have had no issues up until today. I ran one pack through it without issue. I wait about 10 minutes in between flights and get the heli prepped for the second flight. Plug in the battery and notice the sat was blinking, indicating a low signal. Tried re-binding it, to no avail, and now the 3gx doesn't do a thing. It has 4.94 volts coming in from the ESC, but is not showing any voltage output?

Did my 3gx go bad or is there something I am missing?
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2014, 03:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Is the sat blinking intermittently(flickering) or flashing like when you initially bind?
Bonkievan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2014, 03:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonkievan View Post
Is the sat blinking intermittently(flickering) or flashing like when you initially bind?
Originally it was just an intermittent blinking. After attempting to re-bind it, the sat did not give any kind of light, nor did the 3gx unit. I tried multiple satellites, and all did the same thing. ESC was getting voltage to the unit, so by process of elimination, I would assume the 3gx is bad.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Could be but have you tried a different Sat Ant port on the 3gx?
Old 07-08-2014, 04:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Could be but have you tried a different Sat Ant port on the 3gx?
I have tried both ports with different cables and sats and neither did a thing.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Doesn't sound good, you're right...........
Forgive me for asking a simple question but are you trying all this with the bind plug installed?
Old 07-08-2014, 05:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Doesn't sound good, you're right...........
Forgive me for asking a simple question but are you trying all this with the bind plug installed?
Yes I have been. Tried multiple bind plugs, with the possibility one of the ones I was using was bad and got the same result from each.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

The only other thing I can think of, before pointing the finger directly at the 3gx, is does your Dx8 connect, or indeed bind, to any of your other models? Just to rule out your Tx.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
The only other thing I can think of, before pointing the finger directly at the 3gx, is does your Dx8 connect, or indeed bind, to any of your other models? Just to rule out your Tx.
I tried binding it to a DX9 as well and it did not work. I think I have tried and re-tried everything. Tried to eliminate as many other factors as I possibly could and everything points to the 3gx being the issue. I'm going to order up an AR7200BX to replace it. Have heard that the heli will fly so much better with that unit as opposed to the 3gx. I had the heli locked in with the 3gx, so if it flies any better than it already does/did, I will be an extremely happy camper!
Old 07-08-2014, 07:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yep, I can't think of anything else you haven't already tried?? Although, aa last ditch attempt (while waiting for your new FBL), you could try powering your 3gx from an external source to eliminate the ESC/Bec. Just remember to pull the red wire from the Throttle servo connector if you do this.

Good luck and hopefully you're back in the air soon
Old 07-08-2014, 07:43 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Yep, I can't think of anything else you haven't already tried?? Although, aa last ditch attempt (while waiting for your new FBL), you could try powering your 3gx from an external source to eliminate the ESC/Bec. Just remember to pull the red wire from the Throttle servo connector if you do this.

Good luck and hopefully you're back in the air soon
I tried using a different ESC and it still did not work. I spent a few hours in the field trying to trouble shoot the issue as well as more hours back home on the bench, but I don't think I can try anything else. Thanks for your help!
Old 07-08-2014, 07:49 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry I couldn't help some.........
Pity one of the 3gx gurus isn't online to help. They may have some better ideas.

I don't fly an AR7200bx but plenty at my field do, on different makes and size Helis, and they all like it. Not as tuneable as the 3gx or some other FBLs but it 'just works' is what they say.....
Old 07-09-2014, 02:23 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Where are you reading 4.94V? at the satellite cable or ESC to 3GX? If ESC to 3GX, that sounds low. It should be 5.5V or higher, preferably 6V.

What satellites are you using? DSM2 or DSMX? One or two satellites?

3GX will not power up if it not seeing the radio signal/bounded. I'm assuming you are following the proper steps for your satellite binding(DSM2 and DSMX has different binding steps). Have you tried to bind the satellite antenna connected to a full receiver/satellite to your radio?(taking 3GX out of the chain to make sure no issue with the satellite/transmitter)
nameci is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2014, 02:46 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by nameci View Post
Where are you reading 4.94V? at the satellite cable or ESC to 3GX? If ESC to 3GX, that sounds low. It should be 5.5V or higher, preferably 6V.

What satellites are you using? DSM2 or DSMX? One or two satellites?

3GX will not power up if it not seeing the radio signal/bounded. I'm assuming you are following the proper steps for your satellite binding(DSM2 and DSMX has different binding steps). Have you tried to bind the satellite antenna connected to a full receiver/satellite to your radio?(taking 3GX out of the chain to make sure no issue with the satellite/transmitter)
The 4.94V was coming from the ESC. I tried using a different ESC and nothing worked. What is acceptable for ESC voltage? The one thing I noticed before the issues is that the ESC came down from the flight abnormally hot, and I was only hovering around as I was testing a few repairs. It was during the preparation for the very next flight that I started having issues, but had absolutely none during the first.

I'm using a single Spektrum DSMX satellite. I tried using a different sat and nothing would work again. When I plug in the battery, neither satellite showed any kind of light. I tried both satellites in the 2 ports on the 3gx.

I tried binding the sat to a AR7200BX and it worked without issue so it is not the sat.

I'm fairly certain there is something wrong with the 3gx. I tried to bind it using an Align ESC off of a TRex 500 and nothing would work.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:50 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

ESC/BEC should be putting out around 5.5V to 6V. I wonder if something caused the internal BEC to fail in your last flight(when it came down abnormally hot). If you have a servo or servos that are binding(gear damage or any other mechanical damage in the head/tail section), it will overload BEC and may cause it to burn out/damage components. You may want to contact Align to have them check out your ESC/BEC(assuming Align) and 3GX.
nameci is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2014, 10:23 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had had a crash prior to the flight. Damaged one of the blades, slightly bent the main shaft, stripped the torque tube gears, and bent the tail boom. I checked the head and tail assembly for damage and nothing was evident.

The servos were free and were not binding, so I assumed there was no issue there. I will run them through a test on my iCharger 406DUO and see what it comes up with.

I ordered a Castle Edge 50 and an AR7200BX to replace the stock units, but hopefully I don't need a new set of servos as well.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:33 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi there. What version of software you have on the 3GX?. Now you'll set on the 3GX?.
cchaavarria is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2014, 04:12 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Try a reflash to v1.0 there are recovery instructions an the Align site and on youtube.

10karer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in