Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Hitec Radios > Hitec Gyro/Servos

Hitec Gyro/Servos Hitec Gyro and Servo Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2008, 10:00 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Speaking of Hitec servo testers...

I've got the Hitec servo tester/progreammer. Let's say I have a cyclic servo that isn't perfectly at 90 degrees. So i take my programmer and go to +4 to get a good 90 degrees on the output arm. Now, I have to reset the endpoints. Should I set +100 and -100 (or 125 or whatever), or should I take the +4 for the center into account and go -96, +104?

The instructions with the unit are pretty fuzzy on this point. Thanks.
jgunpilot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2008, 10:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

The Hitech box allows you to program the center position (as well as other things). So if you internally adjust the servo using the programmer then in your radio use NO subtrim or trim. That is the purpose so you can get the servo centered without having to use subtrim in the radio.

Now you can also adjust total throw (or end points internally in the servo). Thus you would MATCH all 3 cyclic servos and thus you would not need to change the servo end points in your radio (you would leave them 100/100) to remove full positive and full negative pitch interactions.

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2008, 08:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bob, I'm talking about programming the end point on the programmer, not the radio. If my new centerpoint is +4, when I use the programmer to set end point sI'm wondering if I should go -96, +104 or just go +/- 100.
Old 08-23-2008, 09:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

No I don't think you have to do that... the amount of end point is a percentage. I don't think changing the center will reduce total throw in one direction. I am not 100% sure though. You should be able to see it if so...
But neither here nor there. You want to get all the servo for cyclic moving the same distance from center and match them all so whatever you do with endpoints your doing it for that reason. Get them on the heli and use a swash leveler and check full + and - pitch and change each servos end point so the swash is level.

Another way to match them is to put a protractor on top of the servo arm and measure the total throw both ways and adjust each servo so they are the same. Then put them in the heli and if all your link are right the swash should be level.

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2008, 12:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Setting center on the servo should not change end points.

The servo receives a given pulse from the Rx, it interpets this as Center. But different Txs send a slightly different pulse length. And different servos will expect a certain pulse length as Center, so if the two don't match, you will not be what you think is center.

When you program the servo, you are just telling the servo that THIS is Center, not what it thought.

The pulse length will still vary +/- for each end point, and if the end points on the Tx the same, the servo will see the smae change in each direction, leading to the same throw each way.
AMA#47402, IRCHA # 3395
Blade CP "Pro", Trex 450SE, PiccoZ, Quick of Japan EP8v2 EX, Hurricane 550, Hurricane 200, JR Vibe 50, Blade mCX, Bergen Intrepid Gasser, Pantera 50, Blade mSR, Novus CP
Pinecone is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2008, 01:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Thread Starter Thread Starter

OK, thanks for the replies. I'll throw a protractor on it just to make sure. I sure love being able to recenter Hitec servos and reset the endpoints for more cyclic. I think my Raptor will be a bit peppier this rebuild.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in