Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Align 3G FBL System > Align 3GX FBL System

Align 3GX FBL System Align 3GX FBL Flybarless System Software and Hardware Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2014, 03:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 3gx with 7ch. dsm2 rx and dsm2 sat.

Hey guys I bought a trex 450 pro dfc super combo and it came with 3gx. I've always used ar7200bx on my helis. However I would like to try the 3gx as it came with the kit and I also bought a trex 550 V2 super combo nib off a member here. And it also comes with 3gx. Anyway I have a dx8 dsmx tx and I have a 7ch. Dsm2 rx and dsm2 sat. Can I use them with the 3gx and my dx8? If not I'll buy a dsmx rx. I have the dsm2 rx and sat already do if I can use them I will. Thanks for any help!
buggyalstare1971 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2014, 03:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

It will work just fine. DX8 will just bind to your receiver in DSM2
nameci is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2014, 03:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by nameci View Post
It will work just fine. DX8 will just bind to your receiver in DSM2
Thank you nameci for the quick reply! I will set it up with that sat. and rx then. It looks pretty simple from the videos I've watched on the setup. So hopefully everything works out. My only other question is on the flight mode menu... Can I leave those parameters at the default? Or do I need to go through them? I only fly circuits and occasionally attempt inverted for a split second. Nothing aggressive. In Ron Lunds video he cautions to this area of set up, that's why I'm hoping I can leave it at its default. Thanks again for your help!
Old 02-05-2014, 04:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Download and install the 3GX software on your PC. I would update the 3GX to V3.1 or V4.0. I personally have not had any problems with V4.0 on three of my helis but some of the members have reported to have some tail issues. I would start out with the default set up, other than changing the tail gyro delay to small heli for 450 or large heli for 550. You can tweak as needed later.

http://www.align.com.tw/alignhtml/3g...3gx_update.php

Package will download as .rar file format. I highly recommend 7zip, free and probably the best unpacking software I have used so far.

http://www.7-zip.org/

Install the PC software on your PC and reboot. Plug in the USB dongle and launch 3GX software. Follow the step by step instruction.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default download

Will do and thank you for all the great advice! If I run into hiccups along the way I'll be back to pick your brain for the right answers! Thank you Virgil
Old 02-05-2014, 09:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

The 3GX will work with DSM2 satellites, it will work with DSMx satellites. And if you don't want to go the satellite route, it will hook up to any standard receiver.

As with any DSMx or DSM2 receiver, NEVER NEVER NEVER mix a DSMx receiver component with a DSM2 receiver component.

Since you have a 450, a single satellite is all you really need, so you can use either one. But DON'T plug in a DSMx and a DSM2 satellite at the same time.

If you use version 3.1 firmware, whether you use your DSM2 satellite or your DSMx satellite, the system will bind and operate in DSM2 mode.

With version 4.0 firmware, support was added for DSMx satellites, so if you have a DSMx satellite and DSMx transmitter, you can take advantage of the DSMx stuff.

The BINDING procedure in version 4.0 when using satellites, is DIFFERENT, depending upon which type of satellilte you use. If you use DSM2, bind normally. If you use DSMx satellites, you push the little button on top of the 3GX box when you apply power to bind.

And, as always a DSMx transmitter will work with any DSM2 receiver, the system will work in DSM2 mode. A DSM2 transmitter will work with any DSMx receiver, the system will work in DSM2 mode. And never, never, never mix DSM2 and DSMx receiver components in the same system.

Also, you will be using a DX8. When using satellite receivers with the 3GX system, you MUST control the rudder gyro gain using Channel 7/Aux2 of your transmitter. The DX8 gyro menus are set up to use Channel 5 as their default. You MUST reassign your gyro control output from your transmitter to be on Channel 7/Aux 2.

For completeness, the 3GX/satellite setup also requires GOVERNORs (nitro) be controlled using CHANNEL 5. Again, the DX8 default for the Governor control stuff is Channel 7, so you'd need to remap that, too.

-----

A word of caution if you choose to use V4.0 software. Some people (including me) have had odd tail rotor gyro behavior using V4.0. Others haven't. Align is aware there is a problem but is quite slow in rolling out a "fixed" version.

Also -- when using V4.0 software with a single satellite receiver, you have to plug the receiver cable into the ANT2 port on the 3GX unit instead of the ANT1 port as stated in the instructions. If you use V3.1 or earlier, the 3GX doesn't seem to care WHICH port a single satellite goes into. This appears to be another bug in the V4.0 software.

-----

V3.1 is pretty good. I've seen some of the potential in V4.0, but until Align sorts out the heading hold gyro bug, I'm sticking with V3.1.

Making the world better, one helicopter at a time. Team Heliproz
dksia is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2014, 09:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Thank you

Thank you very much dksia for that information! That's what prompted me to start this thread I was confused about using dsm2 with my tx being dsmx and how it would work with the 3gx but your detailed information will be stored in the old memory bank for all my future models. I definitely will pay close attention to my satellites and make sure none are opposite. Again thanks for the knowledge! Virgil
Old 02-06-2014, 03:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default trouble with 3gx 4.0 download and 7-zip

Quote:
Originally Posted by nameci View Post
Download and install the 3GX software on your PC. I would update the 3GX to V3.1 or V4.0. I personally have not had any problems with V4.0 on three of my helis but some of the members have reported to have some tail issues. I would start out with the default set up, other than changing the tail gyro delay to small heli for 450 or large heli for 550. You can tweak as needed later.

http://www.align.com.tw/alignhtml/3g...3gx_update.php

Package will download as .rar file format. I highly recommend 7zip, free and probably the best unpacking software I have used so far.

http://www.7-zip.org/

Install the PC software on your PC and reboot. Plug in the USB dongle and launch 3GX software. Follow the step by step instruction.

Nameci I am computer ignorant I've downloaded the V4.0 3gx, I then went to download 7-zip it first had me install installiq then I went on to download 7-zip and when I try to open the 3gx with the 7-zip it's not allowing me to. Am I missing something here? The laptop is new windows 8 it has asked me to update to windows 8.1 I have not yet. That shouldn't have anything to do with it I don't believe.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 7zip rar. file is there another way?

I can't get this 7zip downloaded, when I think it is and try to open the 3gx file its not allowing me too. I've even deleted V4.0 and tried V3.1 and still no avail. Is there another way to upgrade the 3gx without going through all of this?
Old 02-06-2014, 04:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you have 7Zip installed on your PC(only for Windows, not for Mac/Apple). There are two versions, one for 32bit and one for 64 bit system. Check your computer what version of Windows is installed. Start -> My Computer -> Right Click and select Properties.

Run 7Zip program first. And select the 3gx.rar file(that you download from Align website) from Zip file to extract, you have to let the program know where to extract the files.

Once you extract the 3GX files, open that folder and select the install file. You will now install the 3GX program on your PC. Once you install it, reboot the computer(to make sure all the drivers are loaded). Plug in your 3GX USB dongle. Computer will install the driver automatically. Once it is completed, you can launch 3GX application(should be on your desk top with the shortcut)
Old 02-06-2014, 04:54 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default computer

Okay I'm figuring the computer out, it is a Toshiba windows 8 64 bit operating system, x4 based processor
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140206_175156.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	485097  
Old 02-06-2014, 10:38 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Let's try this step by step...

I created an empty folder on my PC hard drive called "3GX". I downloaded the "3GX_V4.0.rar" file from the Align website and saved the file in that folder.

Next, start up the 7-Zip application...

Just below the menu bar with the Add, Extract, Test, Copy..... options is where you tell your computer to go find the "3GX_V4.0.rar" file. Note in this example, the file is located in folder: C:\3GX\

And when I select THAT folder, you see the "3GX_V4.0.rar" file in the window below. If it's not already highlighted, click your mouse on the icon that looks like a stack of books next to the file name. Your window should look like the one below:

When you have the filename highlighted, click the EXTRACT button (the blue "minus" sign in the menu bar). A window like the one below will pop up:

Use the default file path suggested by 7-Zip as shown, then click the "OK" button. The computer will unzip the .rar file, and 7-Zip should then look like this. Notice that you have a new folder shown called "3GX_V4.0".

Put your mouse on that folder, and double-click your mouse...the next window should look like this:

Once again, with your mouse, double-click that entry shown above. You will see this pop up:

Place your mouse on the "3GX_V4.0.exe" entry, and once again, double-click it to launch the installer for the 3GX software.

You will next see this window pop up:

Click the "ACCEPT" button to begin the installation. The window below pops up, click the "NEXT" button.

Accept the recommended default location, and click the "NEXT" button shown above. The window below pops up, and you're ready to start the installation --- Click "NEXT" when you see the window shown below:

When the installation is complete, click the "CLOSE" button on the window below when it pops up: You're almost there, but not quite....

Once you click the "CLOSE: button shown above, you'll see this window -- click the "EXTRACT" button:

When the window below pops up, click the "NEXT" button:

Click the "FINISH" button when the window below pops up"

You should now have a new "3GX_V4.0" shortcut icon on your desktop:

If you plug your 3GX USB adapter into your computer, your PC should tell you that it is installing new drivers for new hardware that it's found. This will take a short time, and when it's complete, you're ready to go.

Double-clicking the "3GX_V4.0" shortcut icon will start up the 3GX PC software...

You will need to have your 3GX unit connected to a receiver (satellite or standard external receiver) and the receiver must be bound to your transmitter. Once the 3GX software is up and running, there is information displayed at the top telling you the current version of installed software, and that you are connected to your PC.

I see that you're using Windows 8 -- let's hope that Microsoft doesn't have its security screwed down so tight that you have trouble loading the software or the USB dongle drivers...

Good luck.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	7zip-3gx.png
Views:	286
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	485202   Click image for larger version

Name:	7zip-3gx-1.png
Views:	1114
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	485203   Click image for larger version

Name:	7zip-3gx-2.png
Views:	307
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	485204   Click image for larger version

Name:	7zip-3gx-3.png
Views:	289
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	485205   Click image for larger version

Name:	7zip-3gx-4.png
Views:	307
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	485206  

Name:	7zip-3gx-5.png
Views:	294
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	485207   Click image for larger version

Name:	7zip-3gx-6.png
Views:	280
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	485208   Click image for larger version

Name:	7zip-3gx-7.png
Views:	283
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	485209   Click image for larger version

Name:	7zip-3gx-8.png
Views:	277
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	485210   Click image for larger version

Name:	7zip-3gx-9.png
Views:	276
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	485211  

Name:	7zip-3gx-10.png
Views:	320
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	485212   Click image for larger version

Name:	7zip-3gx-11.png
Views:	295
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	485213   Click image for larger version

Name:	7zip-3gx-12.png
Views:	299
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	485214   Click image for larger version

Name:	7zip-3gx-13.png
Views:	392
Size:	191.3 KB
ID:	485215  
Attached Images

Making the world better, one helicopter at a time. Team Heliproz
dksia is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in