Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Other Makes and Models Helicopters > Cypher 3D

Cypher 3D EF Cypher 3D

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2012, 11:47 PM   #2101 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have two of these kits for sale, one is rtf. Can create a great package.
Tyler is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2012, 01:26 PM   #2102 (permalink)
Registered Users

So does this heli actually fly as smoothly and precisely as depicted in this video, or is this just a great pilot with state of the art components flying a Sunday's Best Bird ?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3bXDWRWL8Y&feature=related[/ame]

Last edited by TravisBean; 03-07-2012 at 11:34 AM..
TravisBean is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2012, 10:18 PM   #2103 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisBean View Post
So does this heli actually fly as smoothly and precisely as depicted in this video, or is this just a great pilot with state of the art components flying a Sunday's Best Bird ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3bXD...eature=related
Anybody out there................??
TravisBean is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2012, 10:44 PM   #2104 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, they actually fly very snappy if you want to keep close in, but I thought these little Cypher 3Ds really shine when flown big and fast. They track very well, and are surprisingly capable of flying big air style very well.

I flew mine with an Aitronics RDS 8000 like shown in that video, too.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:32 PM   #2105 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi guys.
I've got my Cypher on the way and should be here tomorrow. I've been reading through the thread and have read loads of helpful advice for when I get mine up and running. I was just wondering what is the best tail servo you've used?( I know setups change every now and then) I know it says to use a microish servo but I have seen pictures of standard digital servos installed.
HeliE is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2012, 06:13 PM   #2106 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

when i had my Cypher this was the set up i had in it ==

cyclics= DS 410
RX = FUTABA R617FS
Gyro = GY401
Tail Servo = s9257

i have since gotten rid of my Cypher and now i fly 2 EXIs and i use the GY401 and the s9257 in both of them with no problems...
i have tryd some "cheapo" servos and gyros in the Cypher and EXIs and wasnt very happy with them..
kevinbattista is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2012, 10:45 PM   #2107 (permalink)
Registered Users

I use an Airtronics 94815. Small, light, fast, and very, very affordable tail servo.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:58 PM   #2108 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
I use an Airtronics 94815. Small, light, fast, and very, very affordable tail servo.
though i've never used airtronics , heard only good things about them
Old 03-24-2012, 10:14 AM   #2109 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

My tail setup is a Logictec 2100 gyro with the matching 3100 servo. Really good combo.

Mine is still hanging on the wall waiting for my to fly it. Just no desire to fly. I have not even flown a plane in over a week now. Weather has been pretty bad.

Dru.
blvdbuzzard is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2012, 02:27 AM   #2110 (permalink)
Registered Users

You guys still out there? Anyone flying their Cyphers still?
Cryptovariable is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2012, 07:25 AM   #2111 (permalink)
Registered Users

Im actually selling mine. If interested its in the classified section.
Not selling cause I dont like it selling because im lust learning to fly and its going to be a while before im ready for it.
marnat3 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2012, 03:37 PM   #2112 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yes I am still out here. Have not flown, but still out here.

Been looking at converting my 30 sized Raptor to "E" power.

Buzz.
blvdbuzzard is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2012, 03:57 PM   #2113 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

i'm still here also.. no cypher but still flyin (EXI 450)
Old 07-18-2012, 06:02 PM   #2114 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi guys,

Hope everyone is doing well.

Anyone still flying? My Cypher is still going strong... sort of. I don't think these helis were really designed for the long haul. There is too much plastic that wears out or cracks. Ironically, I had the metal screws that tighten the plastic rudder servo mounts to the boom break on me. The mounts were still fine but I couldn't get the tips of the screws out of the plastic, so I had to get new mounts.

I installed a new Hobbywing Platinum 40A ESC and learned how to use the governor on it. I use the Airtronics SD-10G and found a cool way to use the governor feature to control my throttle values. I'm probably the only guy around who has my throttle curves set to 0% across the board in all flight modes (as in I don't use the throttle channel at all anymore). I have the head-speed programmed to run at 2500 RPM at the moment and it works really well.

I also installed a Spartan Quark gyro and a new Airtronics 94814 high speed servo for the tail. It seems to hold a lot better than my Logictech 2100T/3100G combo did.

I found the source for the Cypher's motor before EP puts their sticker on it. It is a Mystery F2632. It is the EXACT pinkish Cypher3D motor, but instead of being $35+, it is $7! Yes, $7! I bought two. It is item # 300741379295 on eBay right now. I have already received mine and they are a perfect match.

I'm still not happy with the tail rotor hub. I have yet to get a straight one, and the tail blade tracking is always off. I posted before about it, and some of you offered suggestions (thank you), but I know crooked when I see it... and it is crooked! I am looking to find a hub from another heli that will work on this one.

One last thing... if you guys are still using swash levelers or pitch gauges, you are in the dark ages! I mentioned before that Ron's HeliProz south has a laser setup tool. I can't stress how awesome it is! It is only around $20 and once you use it you will never use anything else! It literally makes your swashplate laser perfect. One cool thing is I have my swash set to 10 degrees +/- in stunt mode, and it perfectly translates to +/- 100% on my radio with 0% being 0 degrees. So in any other mode, whatever % I dial in on my throttle curve, it translates to that exact pitch on my heli (75% is perfectly 7.5 degrees pitch). So my pitch curve graph on my radio really is the the exact pitch of the blades.

Here are a couple of pictures from today. I had to finally break down and put ONE zip tie on my heli. My wiring isn't as neat as before when I had shortened all the servo and gyro leads. This time I just threw it together and didn't even trim off the extra zip tie. I will detail it out later. Note the stick on tire weight on the tail fin... it really requires two to make it in balance, but I went back to one for a while.

Hope you guys are having fun out there!

J
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cypher3D2.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	462.9 KB
ID:	333387   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cypher3D3.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	494.7 KB
ID:	333388  
Old 07-19-2012, 01:12 PM   #2115 (permalink)
Registered Users

I still have mine, but it will, likely, become an organ doner when the Warp comes out (it has all JR servos and a CC ESC in it).
Old 07-26-2012, 03:18 AM   #2116 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default throttle setting?

Hi All,

thanks for sharing so much info on ef cypher. After reading all this, i decided to take up the £50 deals to get a cypher kit in LHS.

I have some experience with RC but mostly using futaba radio and msotly nitro.

I am using hitec eclipse 7 radio on this one as the receiver I have is smaller for its smaller size.

I installed the servo and the gyro etc but with the stock esc. one issue i have is that the motor only start to spin above half throttle? Am i doign something wrong with the radio setting? please help....

I have checked that the throttle curve i have is linear.. 0-25-50-75-100 and it is in correct direction. end point adjustment is low-100% and high-100% but have no idea why the motor only spin on the top 50-100% throttle stck travel.

it could be jsut some silly setting on my radio or could it be the esc setting that I need to change?

thanks you all in advance..

Regards,
Lawrence
lawrencelkl is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2012, 04:34 PM   #2117 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just to let you guys know. You guys can get this heli with motor and blades from heliproz. http://www.ronlund.com/rcheli-prod/E...CYPHER400.html
Old 07-27-2012, 04:21 AM   #2118 (permalink)
Registered Users

Lawrence,

Have you tried checking the throttle output of your receiver with a servo to verify that the servo (throttle output) moves smoothly from one extreme to the other? There are no programmable options on the Cypher's ESC.

Also, this might be a dumb suggestion, but did you make sure that all three of the wires going to the motor from the ESC have a good connection?

I don't know anything about Hitec radios, but can you work around the problem by setting your throttle endpoints to 0% low and 100% high?

If all else fails, let me know and I will send you a brand new Cypher ESC to try out. Maybe yours is bad.

J

P.S. I was messing around the other day... I know I shouldn't have done everything you see here, but it happened already, No harm done!

[ame]http://youtu.be/rWpKSjO0FJY[/ame] (YouTube's image stabilization kind of messed up the image)
Old 07-30-2012, 05:12 AM   #2119 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default throttle range reset on Cypher stock esc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptovariable View Post
Lawrence,

I don't know anything about Hitec radios, but can you work around the problem by setting your throttle endpoints to 0% low and 100% high?

If all else fails, let me know and I will send you a brand new Cypher ESC to try out. Maybe yours is bad.

J
Hi J,

Thanks for your help. I tried your suggestions and still did not cure. I have, however, by pure luck I think, searched on the net on how to reset ESC ( general ESC) range and tried and it works!!

so what I have done might be have accidentally set the ESC just for half throttle the first time plugged in, so what I did to reset is.

remain 100% gain on channel 3 high and low sections, push throttle to high 100% when plug in esc to recceiver, then of course motor wont arm and there is alarm beep beep , then quickly i push throttle all the way back to lowest stick, switch off receiver and restart radio with low stick, now the motor have full stick range!!.

in case anyone have similar issue, hope this will help.

I have ordered spartan quark and installed it. jsut amazed how small this thing is and cost quite a bit! but still awaiting digital tail servo to arrive...so no flying yet....

question for all, what throttle and pitch curves you guys use in normal and idle up modes? good for my reference as I am planning to use this heli to learn a bit of loop, hover and forward flight my shuttle plus with some firgure 8 (well, not so pretty figure 8) but it has limited - negative pitch range so I hope can learn this on Cypher.

Do i need to learn stall 180 and/or nose in before i learn loop?
thanks.

Enjoy flying .

Regards,
Lawrence
lawrencelkl is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2012, 08:56 AM   #2120 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Lawrence,

If you look back through the first part of this thread, I believe there is lots of info about the throttle and pitch curves others have used.

When using the stock ESC, I had 0,40,80,90,100 in normal and 100,90,80,90,100 in idle up. I currently use a Hobbywing ESC and have the governor hold the head-speed at 2500 in normal and 3000 in idle up (I don't use the throttle curves anymore). I don't know if that is ideal or not, it is just what I like for cruising around. My pitch curve is -3, INH, 0, INH, 7 in normal and -10, INH, 0, INH, 10 in idle up.

I am not a heli expert by any means, and don't know your experience level, but I can tell you that things can go screwy really fast when looping a heli as a newbie (I know!). It isn't the same or as easy as a plane. I recommend that you learn hovering in all directions first, then forward flight. Stall turns will come easy after that, then you can progress into other maneuvers (loops, rolls, etc.). Someone may have a different opinion, but I think that would be the safest route for you and the helicopter. The simulator is the most valuable tool you can have at this point. Fly a lot on there and don't try anything in real life that you can't do on the simulator proficiently.

Hope that helps, and good luck!

J

Tags
airtronics, cypher, make that the esc

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in