Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > NX4

NX4 Discussion and support of the Gaui NX4 Nitro Helicopter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2012, 06:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Almost Done..Thick skull+vbar gov=grounded!

I just can't seem to grasp this vbar gov thing! Even after watching the Mr. Mels videos.
Not sure if I should use 2 channels, combined. Are there any videos of someone actually setting up a nitro heli?
vteknical is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2012, 09:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Go with combined mode, that's what Mikado is recommending. Set your rod length by measuring center to center from servo horn screw to carb horn screw. Set your motor off to -115 and motor on to 75. Turn on collective control and install your rod such that at low throttle, your carb is closed. Now goto full throttle and increase the 75 unti your carb is fully open. Done!

Set your max RPM to 2700 and your ratio to 7.06.

If you use auto bailout, just program your radio so TH sends about 7% or more to vbar...just test the minimum setting that will get u fast recovery.

You will end up with a Normal curve of about 2% or 3% flat. Use this curve for starting engine. ID1 of about 97% will get you around 2500 RPM and 100% flat in ID2 will get u 2700 RPM.

PM me if u need more help.

Carlos.
AMA #934662
caralmar is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 02:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by caralmar View Post
Go with combined mode, that's what Mikado is recommending. Set your rod length by measuring center to center from servo horn screw to carb horn screw. Set your motor off to -115 and motor on to 75. Turn on collective control and install your rod such that at low throttle, your carb is closed. Now goto full throttle and increase the 75 unti your carb is fully open. Done!

Set your max RPM to 2700 and your ratio to 7.06.

If you use auto bailout, just program your radio so TH sends about 7% or more to vbar...just test the minimum setting that will get u fast recovery.

You will end up with a Normal curve of about 2% or 3% flat. Use this curve for starting engine. ID1 of about 97% will get you around 2500 RPM and 100% flat in ID2 will get u 2700 RPM.

PM me if u need more help.

Carlos.
Just out of curiosity did you used mini vbar ( am not sure if there is a nitro governor function ???? but im sure electric as i have my gaui mini vbar updated to pro.... I so how do you wire it. My nx4 sadly crashed today with ar 7200 bx
aceguintu is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 08:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceguintu View Post
Just out of curiosity did you used mini vbar ( am not sure if there is a nitro governor function ???? but im sure electric as i have my gaui mini vbar updated to pro.... I so how do you wire it. My nx4 sadly crashed today with ar 7200 bx
Sorry about your crash. I use full size vbar... Mini doesn't have nitro governor.
AMA #934662
Old 12-09-2012, 09:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks bro.
aceguintu is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 10:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

After focusing step by step................and stopping to really think about the German to English translation on Mikado's website, I think I may have it. Need to do some live testing. Thanks Carlos
Old 12-09-2012, 09:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Upon further inspection.....my magnets are both facing the same way...doh! I just order a 600n metal fan blade with new magnets. The stock fan appears to have a little warp in it anyway. Won't get to this until Thursday next week now.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by vteknical View Post
Upon further inspection.....my magnets are both facing the same way...doh! I just order a 600n metal fan blade with new magnets. The stock fan appears to have a little warp in it anyway. Won't get to this until Thursday next week now.
I just installed the metal fan tonight. The plastic one is garbage. It was all warped and one of the magnets flew off. The metal one is a perfect fit. When I installed the magnets, I used the vbar monitor to make sure the magnet indicator lit up only once. I used thin CA to glue them in and then a thin coat of thick CA on top for good measure.

Also, I figured out why my tail was binding at the extremes... It's the pitch slider. Also junk plastic molded crap. Had extra burrs in there. I reamed it out and now the slider moves to both extremes like butter.

I also installed a CNC boom mount support... Thanks Gawl!! The stock plastic fantastic one strips easily. This kit definitely needs some upgrades.
AMA #934662
Old 12-09-2012, 11:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by caralmar View Post
I just installed the metal fan tonight. The plastic one is garbage. It was all warped and one of the magnets flew off. The metal one is a perfect fit. When I installed the magnets, I used the vbar monitor to make sure the magnet indicator lit up only once. I used thin CA to glue them in and then a thin coat of thick CA on top for good measure.

Also, I figured out why my tail was binding at the extremes... It's the pitch slider. Also junk plastic molded crap. Had extra burrs in there. I reamed it out and now the slider moves to both extremes like butter.

I also installed a CNC boom mount support... Thanks Gawl!! The stock plastic fantastic one strips easily. This kit definitely needs some upgrades.
What type of boom support mount are you using? I was really hoping to stay away from upgrades on this Heli since the kit is on the higher end. I just assumed they wouldn't be be needed. Guess I will see how long this fan last since I already installed it.
joallen001 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 11:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Not to complain too much but I also order 45 Lynx M3x6 screws. I stripped out 3 screws head using my MIP driver removing them from the aluminum blocks that hold the skids. Reminds me of the same screws my 700N had which also were replaced with Lynx.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:15 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by joallen001 View Post
What type of boom support mount are you using? I was really hoping to stay away from upgrades on this Heli since the kit is on the higher end. I just assumed they wouldn't be be needed. Guess I will see how long this fan last since I already installed it.
I'm using the Gaui CNC upgrade boom support. I swapped it out on my X5 long ago as well. The plastic one is good for a while but then the holes start to strip and it doesn't hold well, especially with the vibration from a nitro.

I also lost a spacer when one of the bolts backed out...this is the spacer that goes between the boom brace and the frame. I ended up using a nylock nut... its the same height as the spacer AND has the added bonus that even if the bolt backs out, the nut stays in place!

There are a few things that this kit needs more attention to... canopy is way too tight, destroying stock grommets in short order. Tail pitch slider needs a little more attention to QA. Mine had lots of burrs in there and it bound up the tail at the extreme closest to the blade grips. Oh, and please, for all our sakes, get rid of the plastic fan and replace it with a proper aluminum fan that won't warp and send magnets flying off. Even Bobby mentioned to me the warping problem with the fan and warned me not to install the sensor too close to the housing because of this.

The head on this heli is just about perfect for the geometry for a vbar. I love it! The only part that is difficult on it is how the bearings are arranged inside the grips. It makes it very difficult to re-grease the thrust bearings, since they're buried in between radials. Also, this is a 3D machine...if you're going to ship the head fully assembled, please assemble it with the red dampers instead of the black ones!

Finally, anyone else think the power switch hole in the frame should be relocated where it won't be covered by the canopy? Oh, and it would be great if Gaui made a CF tail pushrod available as an upgrade. The metal one flexes too much.
AMA #934662
Old 12-10-2012, 09:23 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thats a lot of little things that add up considering the heli is suppose to be top quality. I certainly agree there needs to be a better location for the power switch. If the fan flexes so much why didn't that fix that before releasing the kit. I was a little disappointed also when bobby mentioned in the video about the issues with the gaui blades. He also stated that gaui knows it and is working on it. I bought the kit that included the blades. It just doesn't make sense why blades would be included in a kit package if there is a problem flying 3d with them.
joallen001 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in