Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > nano CP X Brushless Mods

nano CP X Brushless Mods Blade nano CP X Brushless Mods Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2013, 08:20 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftShell View Post
My only other alternative - is to order a new ESC, wait 2 weeks for delivery, and hope for the best.
You could also use Astroid's flashing service. Link is the same page as the instructions. I'm not sure you can do it with an already installed ESC, email him and ask. But if you're thinking of buying a new one anyways, you could unsolder it before sending it in.

http://astroid-designs.myshopify.com...ashing-service
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2013, 12:35 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Did your ESC come with two black 3 pin connectors attached? one for the motor wires, one for the signal and Positive and Negative from the battery. If those are still attached than it would make it easier to flash with New BLHeli code, but you'd still need a USB tool stick and some basic soldering skills.

I can highly recommend Dylan at Asteroid Designs, Order a new one from him and send him your other one to be flashed. I'd ask him to flash it with v9.4. Better still, order a tool stick and a new ESC and flash the other one yourself
Old 04-29-2013, 05:29 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks GoatRider.
And thanks MiracleBoy.

No - I won't be sending in my ESC for re-flashing. Two way shipping from Canada gets really expensive. So its simpler (and much faster) to just buy new.

I would have gone to Astroid Designs, but unfortunately he is currently out of both the ToolStick and the XP3A Esc's.

Its done now.
I have ordered a new ESC (this time with a flashing plug).
And I also ordered a tool stick directly from OverSky.

In about 3 weeks - I can let you know how it works out.
SoftShell is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2013, 07:47 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have the exact same problem now. Purchased a "main flashed" xp-3a and installed it with a mild motor and the throttle is reversed :-( I dont have a toolstick to change the program either. So there isnt an alternative signal point I can use? One with the opposite polarity pwm than the usual one on the front of the 3-in-1. I guess my only other option is to order a toolstick from oversky since they dont seem to be in stock anywhere in the states.
drewracer32 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2013, 08:02 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewracer32 View Post
I have the exact same problem now. Purchased a "main flashed" xp-3a and installed it with a mild motor and the throttle is reversed :-( I dont have a toolstick to change the program either. So there isnt an alternative signal point I can use? One with the opposite polarity pwm than the usual one on the front of the 3-in-1. I guess my only other option is to order a toolstick from oversky since they dont seem to be in stock anywhere in the states.
Depending on what version of BLHeli is installed, you might be able to change the PWM signal to negative. See post #5. Where did you purchase your ESC?
Old 05-01-2013, 08:41 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Bought it from topcopter. Not sure exactly what version was installed, but I did listen to all of the programming tones and there are 16 options to change.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:05 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

I changed parameter 16 to value 2 and it worked! Thank you for the help! I'll look at the ini file and see what other changes might need to be made.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:29 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I changed parameter 16 to value 2 and it worked! Thank you for the help! I'll look at the ini file and see what other changes might need to be made.
Glad you got it sorted The only change I'd make now is to bump up the I and P gains to 2 as per the .ini file that Dylan has kindly hosted for the Nano on the Astroid Designs web site (that's setting Parameters 1 and 2 to 9 beeps each to achieve the actual gain value of 2)
Old 05-02-2013, 10:50 AM   #29 (permalink)

Default Weird! Throttle is inverted.

So many comments and the simplest solution wasn't suggested.

There are two areas you can tap the signal from.

I am going from memory here because I and replying on my phone. But perhaps it'll point you in the right direction for finding your Answer.

From what I remember, if you solder to the FET leg at the front of the RX board, then the polarity in BLHeli settings need to be set for negative. Dylan's ESC flashed for NanoCPX is configured for negative.

So if you purchased your ESC from somewhere else, it likely have the default BLheli settings. Which requires a positive signal polarity. The positive signal solder point is on the back of the board. So simply solder there and you won't have to worry about having to reflash or reprogram the ESC.

So there you have it. Multiple solutions.

Reflash ESC
Reprogram ESC via the TX by listening to the beeps.

Or

Solder the signal wire to the rear point to feed it the positive polarity signal your ESC is looking for.

Re: your rudder getting inverted when you invert throttle signal. That doesn't make sense to me. But hopefully you get that resolved.
Daryoon is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2013, 10:51 AM   #30 (permalink)

Default Weird! Throttle is inverted.

LOL. After I posted, I realized that I am late with my reply. Well, hopefully it'll help others in the future that may have the same problem.
Daryoon is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2013, 12:43 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

I like the front (negative) signal location. Makes for a cleaner installation. Listening for the beeps isnt really that bad once you learn the pattern. Of course it also helps to disconnect the tail and servos. And its a bit confusing because the throttle is backwards, when changing an option, down is full throttle (yes, or accept value)
So softshell, sounds like the positive signal point (on the rear, pictured below) would be your best bet if you dont want to program with the beeps and your tx. Thanks everyone for the help, my mild nano is running great!

Old 05-02-2013, 06:54 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I like the front (negative) signal location. Makes for a cleaner installation. Listening for the beeps isnt really that bad once you learn the pattern. Of course it also helps to disconnect the tail and servos. And its a bit confusing because the throttle is backwards, when changing an option, down is full throttle (yes, or accept value)
So softshell, sounds like the positive signal point (on the rear, pictured below) would be your best bet if you dont want to program with the beeps and your tx. Thanks everyone for the help, my mild nano is running great!

Thanks to Daryoon for pointing out that there IS a positive signal feed on the back of the board, and thanks to Drewracer32 for tracking down that image that shows where it is.

I knew there was a signal point on the back of the board somewhere, but I had no idea it was a positive signal, not a negative one. Good to know!!
Old 05-02-2013, 09:05 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had the same exact problem and I bought another ESC. It turns out I didn't need to just had to figure it all out. I set my TX to reverse throttle but left my pitch and everything the same. I set my flight switch to 20% (80% reversed). I turn on the TX and then plug in the battery. Once the servos start kickin, on regular mode I move the throttle to about 3/8 then pause then I move it to 100. I then bring my throttle back down to 0 and it is armed. I flip the flight switch and I'm good to go. Give it a whirl, I figured it out after I unplugged the servos and tail and noticed the distinct beeps at each of those locations.
rbstokes is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2013, 11:41 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

My thanks to Daryoon. That is good to know.
And thanks drewracer for looking it up for us.

However, I believer that my ESC is flashed totally wrong. With something 'unknown'.
Thirteen settings - remember.

So I am forced to go the full route. Buying a flashing card (tool stick) as a minimum.

I agree, using the signal connection on the front looks better. Staying with it should not be an issue since I will be re-flashing the whole thing.

PS: I am a total newbie here. Can't even fly yet. But I just love tinkering with the helis.

This community is great!
Old 05-04-2013, 05:27 AM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

I recently bought another XP3A ESC from a e-bay uk seller. When it came it had no indication of what code it was flashed with, but it did have a set of set up instructions like the ones you described, it may have has 13 parameters on it, but I threw it out as I knew I'd be flashing it with a newer version of BLHeli anyway. When I plugged the ESC up to the toolstick, the BLHeli software couldn't read what version of code it was flashed with, but I had no trouble re-flashing the newer code. Prior to that, All the ESc's I had bought were all purchased with BL kits bought from Dylan, so had already been flashed with the latest code at the time of purchase.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:01 AM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default The end of the story

Well - I orderded a flash stick from OverSky back in April.
It was shipped on May 02 - and (finally) arrived on May 22.

Not blaming OverSky, just the vagaries of the various post & customs offices.
And maybe a ship was used to port the package across the Pacific.

However, to bring this story to an end - last night I finally soldered on a programming plug on my XP3A, plugged in the flash stick and voila! Every is good now.

Yes - the software on my unit was actually version 9.4.
I used the latest 'nano' .ini file - flashed those settings and everything works now.

Now to put the poor little heli back together (Oh No! Lost parts ).

Thanks for your help everyone.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in