Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Aerial Videography and Photography

Aerial Videography and Photography Aerial Video/Photo from R/C Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2005, 07:05 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the forum! Who here is actively using a heli, or thinking about it, for aerial videography or photography? I just bought lots of equipment and I'm getting close to going live
Dan Lewis is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2005, 07:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hey Dan

Did my Test flights yesterday with the Spectra-G and my Pro 60 mount. I did it flying blind as I left the battery for the downlink home (Duh). I used my Sony Mini DV camera and didnt have anyone to fly the camera so it was fixed.

Everything went real well, I need to change my setup on the heli from 3D to something alot less touchy. I also need to get the motor tweaked a bit as I am still running it rich as its new and you could see the twitch from the tail kick being rich.

All in all the video came out really well considering.

Today I am working on the Pitch curves for doing photography, it should be more like a beginners curve, maybe -4 on the bottom and + 10 on the top. Probably hover at 1/2 stick instead of 3/4.
I really need my StatorGator so I can put the Gov on it, will make the Throtle cures much easier as a Gasser has a wild throtle curve.

The Spectra is smooth as glass and very easy to fly, I was amazed how easy it is to see and keep orientation with the mount hanging on the bottom.

I need to get a different downlink, I am using one of the cheapy ones with a little CCD camera on it double taped to the top of the camera. I really just need a transmitter I can connect to the camera so I see exactly what the camera see's.

Anyway, I'm almost ready to move on to the Minolta Dimage 7i for still shots, and I really need to get someone who can fly the camera.

Anyway more Later, Its great to have a forum for this !!!!

L8R Craig
Racer38 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2005, 07:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
Sar
Registered Users

Hi Dan,

I am getting into this with a friend. He found out I was getting Spectra and wanted to go in on a little venture together to help eat up more of our spare time. The downlink is already on the way and we don't even have anything else together yet. Between us we have a fair selection of still and video equipment so it should be some fun.

Did you build your own mount, or buy? We were looking at some of the mounts out there, but after checking the prices and the somewhat basic assembly of a lot of them, we decided to build our own.

We'll probably be 'live' around May if all goes well.
Sar is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2005, 03:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

My HF Map location

I have a Bergen Observer, waiting on the Motor from Toxic Al to assemble it. Hopt to start gettign some aerial video from the events I attend to share in our video forum. Not sure if I will use my GL2 or get a small DV cam juwst for using on the heli. Time and $$ will make that decision for me.
Old 02-07-2005, 04:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hey Will

I did a bunch of flying today using my Sony mini DV and it came out Great. Still no body flying the camera but it came out real good.

I'll try and do up my vid to upload. Anyword on my missing password ??

Thanks

Craig
Racer38 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2005, 04:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Yes I will set you right up now Craig. Call me on my cell please ASAP and you are all set.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Alright, Will!!

Hopefully soem of the BS that has followed the other forums in the A/P department won't go here.

I'm sure that Will will be offering info as he gets his Observer up and running, and I will be doing the same. There is a whole lot of excitement going on in this Industry, and I have a feeling that some of you here may be contacted for some help in the future.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Chris,
you know Will loves to clean house when they get out of line..So let them bring it !!
Joel Mann is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2005, 04:45 AM   #9 (permalink)

My HF Map location

I don't even love to clean my helis, that is one reason why I like Gassers so much. . I think the members here are pretty much self policing, and I think it is a great thing!! When I have to get involved it is more of a time waster and PITA than anything else. Not sure how you figure I "love" wasting time... but whatever, this forum is about Aerial Photography.
Old 02-08-2005, 06:14 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sar
Hi Dan,

Did you build your own mount, or buy? ...We'll probably be 'live' around May if all goes well.
Jon, I was very lucky and found a used helicamsolutions broadcast mount in new condition. So far the rest of my equipment includes a new MA Gasser Graphite with upgrades from the SE & Extreme, a downlink and video controller from giantballoons.com, my vr-1 sony digital still & sony trv-11 digital handycam. My focus will be video - seems like it will be more fun. Unfortunately, while checking out the connections the other night I found that my handycam is toast. That's a big set back for me
Old 02-08-2005, 06:26 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer38
Everything went real well, I need to change my setup on the heli from 3D to something alot less touchy. ...Today I am working on the Pitch curves for doing photography, it should be more like a beginners curve, maybe -4 on the bottom and + 10 on the top. Probably hover at 1/2 stick instead of 3/4.
One of my goals for this year is to compete in precision flying. I think this will not only help me round out my 3D but will be a definite advantage in aerial shooting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer38
I need to get a different downlink, I am using one of the cheapy ones with a little CCD camera on it double taped to the top of the camera. I really just need a transmitter I can connect to the camera so I see exactly what the camera see's.
I just bought a downlink that connects to the video out and is supposed to be solid up to 500'. I'll let you know how it goes and recommend it to you if I'm satisfied. Since you use Sony equipment, you may consider a video controller as well. Mine is supposed to give me power on/off/standby/record & zoom.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:06 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Got an engine?

I also need to find an engine for my new gasser. Does anyone know anyone that has one suitable for me that's in good shape?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in