Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Night Flying

Night Flying Night Flying Helis Info

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2013, 08:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Anyone making/selling custom night blades?

Im looking for a couple of custom sets with ultra violet led's on the bottom. Anyone offering this service?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2013, 09:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned User

Timtreo was doing them for a while. Not sure if hes still offering his services, you might want to send him a PM.

https://www.helifreak.com/member.php?u=150560

Not sure if youre familiar with UV leds but they are not very bright in the visible spectrum. They are excellent for doing things like lighting up UV reactive paints and fluorescent colored acrylic.

If its purple leds you are after I suggest getting some purple led strips from hobbypartz.com and desoldering them from the strips. Individually they pair well with an 8ohm resistor. They are very bright in the visible spectrum, almost as bright as blue leds and still have plenty of UV output.

I recently bought some short strips of purple led strings from ebay and while they are purple they are only 80 percent as bright as the hobbypartz variant.

Another option you can try is to use a very bright single red led on one blade and a very bright single blue led on the other so they are aligned in flight. Persistence of vision will blur them together and make purple and its a really neat effect. As a bonus you can easily tell if one blade has an intermittent short in flight.

Be sure to post pics when you get your project finished.
kavic5150 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2013, 09:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned User

Something else you might want to look out for is many ebay vendors list purple led strips but if you read the fine print sometimes it says purple/pink.

CommonsenseRC.com sent me pink led strips once when I requested purple. Once.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

I have used TimTreo before and he is excellent, but no activity since March! I am definitely after UV lights because my intention is to light up some uv reactive paint on a canopy with some uv spotlights! It should be awesome. Ive got some UV strips and on 3s, they make the greens, yellows, and oranges in my fusuno canopies stand out beautifully! go experiment with whatever brightly painted canopies youve got. After seeing that most of my regular canopies light up nicely with UV, i am pumped! It has potential!
Old 08-05-2013, 09:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Check this out! 3s UV led strip in a dark room and thats how reflective my SickCanopy is! Now i just need to rig up some arms for some spotlights! i want UV lights on the underside of the blades to help with the canopy top/front. Pretty cool huh?
Old 08-05-2013, 09:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned User

Edit: Just saw that pic, that is awesome. Do you mind me asking how much Sickcanopy charges?

What about some side glow UV led strips?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-SMD-355-...e4d7ac&vxp=mtr

Those are the waterproof variety but they are fairly light and cuttable.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

About $120-130 and a 6 week wait! Sort of crazy but it is definitely a fine canopy. If I can get the Uv's bright enough, maybe some uv reactive tape on the blades will work well enough to forget the leds! Will have to experiment to make sure it's visible at a distance. I'm going to try a setup like this on my 450 first to see how I l ike it. ive got traditional night blades with LEDs too, but id love to try and make the whole rig UV! Some of those side glows on the skids might work
Old 08-06-2013, 11:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

1st attempt. For some reason the camera image makes it seem like there is alot more light coming from the UVs than there appears to be in real life. All i can see in person is the highlights on the canopy and the skids, but you get the idea
Old 08-07-2013, 05:07 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

You could always mount some 3-5mm uv leds on booms sticking out from the sides.
xermalk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2013, 07:38 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

the skids dont stick out far enough. It only illuminates the bottom half that way. im going to keep at it until i come up with a clean way of doing it. For not im using a carbon rod and small plastic sheet with led's. Thanks for the input!
Old 08-12-2013, 01:09 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavic5150 View Post
If its purple leds you are after I suggest getting some purple led strips from hobbypartz.com and desoldering them from the strips. Individually they pair well with an 8ohm resistor. They are very bright in the visible spectrum, almost as bright as blue leds and still have plenty of UV output.
Actually a purple LED outputs purple light, no UV or near-UV at all. What is happening is that most commercial "UV fluorescent" materials will also fluoresce under purple light so the purple LEDs will still trigger them, heck plenty of dyes will fluoresce under blue light.
-Goblin 500, HC3SX, Hyp DH16/MKS980BL, Scorp 4015-1100
desertstalker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2013, 05:08 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

no reason for the sticks with the leds on it , just face them at the canopy from the skids. your gonna find out that the "glow" of the flourescent paint doesnt showup once your outside and flying.. but it does look awesome static display.
i tried what your doing and it just didnt cut it.hope you have better success then i had.

and yeh , they aren't really UV.....but they do make it glow some , also , the blue does the same effect to floure.paints.
and , the purple effect is better on 2cell , 3cell makes them look blue.if you could get a voltage inbetween 2 and 3cell lipo , it would be perfect.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in