Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters

450 Class Electric Helicopters 450 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2012, 06:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default What tail servo to use

I am using Spektrum H3000 servos on my Blade 450x and like them a lot. I didn't change the tail servo, but want to now. Do you use the same servo on the tail, or are they different? Seems like I see one type of servo on the cyclics and a different one on the tail. I looked a Spektrum's site and don't see a "tail" servo that is matched to the H3000's. Could anyone tell me the theory about this, and should I just use another H3000 on the tail?
thanks,
Guy
Logo 800 // Logo 700 12S/14S// Logo 690 // Logo 400 // Mostro 700E's// Whiplash 700E// Gaui NX7 // Gaui NX4 // Gaui X4 // Gaui X3 //Goblin 570 // Trex 250 // TBS Discovery /Naza M2 // Jeti DS-16 // V Control // Jlog // BD3SX// VBar Neo// Lifetime AMA
guyguerra is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2012, 07:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I am in the same boat as you are. The H3000 would probably work fine on the tail but is a little bit slow for a tail servo. The only real difference between a cyclic and tail servo is that the cyclic's generally have more torque with the trade-off of being a little bit slower. The tail servo is generally faster but with less torque.

The stock Blade 450 tail servo is rated at 0.03 sec/60° @ 4.8V while the Spektrum H3000 is rated at 0.09 sec/60° @ 6V. So 3 times slower but with 3 times more torque at 30 ounces compared to 11.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Not familiar with Blade 450X, so will assume it is a standard flybar head assembly, rather than flybarless.

Here's the deal about tail servos. Yes, the tail servo needs to be faster than what most folks use on cyclic (servos attached to your swashplate for elevator/pitch and aileron/roll control). The reason is any servo getting it's signal from a gyro must be faster than the gyro. Otherwise the gyro will be making a new change before the servo is finished correcting for the last change. Chaos ensues.

Generally for beginner and gentle sport flying, a tail servo needs to be at least 0.11 sec (at 4.8V) or faster. The more aggressive you fly, the sloppier your tail will get until you get a faster servo. I just changed from a Futaba 0.11 sec on my tail to a 0.08 sec and the tail holds much better. Doesn't sound like much difference, but it's 27% faster.

Cyclic servos don't have to move any faster than your fingers can move the stick, so will do fine at aprox 0.12 sec or even 0.13, or faster. I like to use metal gears on cyclic servos because crashes tend to put more force onto the cyclic servo gears that could strip non-metal gears. Again, as your flying becomes more aggressive, you'll need faster servos to keep up with you, but that's probably a long way off.

Hope this helps.
Beachcomber is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2012, 08:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The 450X is FBL by the way.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The henge and turnigy servos get great reviews. Bin using a power HD on my tail which is strong. It's all metal if your looking for that. $22 at club heli.
Speedster00 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2012, 08:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I just learned a lot. I thought they were different, but didn't know why. Thanks for the clear explanation. Is there a tail servo that you like, or a few that you can recommend? Is it safe to assume that you can mix manufacturers on the tail servo to the cyclic servos? I didn't see a spectrum tail servo on their site, so might have to use Futaba. I'll do some research based on what you outlined.
Thanks,
Guy
Logo 800 // Logo 700 12S/14S// Logo 690 // Logo 400 // Mostro 700E's// Whiplash 700E// Gaui NX7 // Gaui NX4 // Gaui X4 // Gaui X3 //Goblin 570 // Trex 250 // TBS Discovery /Naza M2 // Jeti DS-16 // V Control // Jlog // BD3SX// VBar Neo// Lifetime AMA
Old 08-26-2012, 08:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Both of my helis have different servo brands. One uses turnigy HVs on cyclic with an MKS on the tail. The other one has a Power HD on the tail and I'm about to replace cyclics with hitecs. No problem mixing brands.
Speedster00 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2012, 09:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If possible, it's simpler if all your servos can run at the same voltage (6V, ideally, rather than 4.8V). If the cyclics are OK at 6V, but the tail can only take 4.8V, you can install a device to step-down the tail to around 5.2V. But 6V will typically make for a faster servo with more torque anyhow, so a 6V tail servo is nice.
RedOctobyr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2012, 06:26 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuntanaS View Post
The 450X is FBL by the way.
Oops. Thanks for the correction. My comments above about tail servo still apply, but since you're heli is Flybarless, then the cyclic servos need to as fast as the tail, because they are also getting their signals from gyros.

You can use a different brand on the tail, compared to the brand you are using for cyclic, but it's a good idea for all three cyclic servos to be the same brand and model, since they are all working on the swashplate together as one CCPM system (cyclic collective pitch mixing).

As for brand, I don't have a favorite to recommend. Still trying to figure out how much extra I'm paying for the brand name like Futaba or Hitec, vs higher labor costs and similar materials.
Beachcomber is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2012, 09:27 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Also, most people run mini size servos on the tail and micro on the cyclic. The mini servos are a good bit larger than micro.
WTMorgan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2012, 01:18 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have read in a few different threads that Spektrum H3000 servos are re-labeled Savox servos, just like Align servos are re-labeled Savox servos, maybe different models/specs between Align versions and Spektrum ones. If you like Spektrum H3000 servos, you may want to try out matching tail servos made by Savox.
nameci is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2012, 01:46 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lightbulb

Didn't know that. I'll look them up, Thanks
Old 08-27-2012, 08:44 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyguerra View Post
I am using Spektrum H3000 servos on my Blade 450x and like them a lot. I didn't change the tail servo, but want to now. Do you use the same servo on the tail, or are they different? Seems like I see one type of servo on the cyclics and a different one on the tail. I looked a Spektrum's site and don't see a "tail" servo that is matched to the H3000's. Could anyone tell me the theory about this, and should I just use another H3000 on the tail?
thanks,
Guy
depends on what you want to spend
futaba 9257 is a old faithful for alot of heli's, the goteck 9257 clone is about 12-14.00 if you shop around and is faster than the futaba counter part, I have been testing one for a month it for the 13.00 I paid for it so far its the best tail servo I've used. Just remember no mater what anyone says do NOT run any 9257 above 5v

Henge 922 works good for about 16.00 tested one for 2 months benched it for the goteck testing

this servo at 5v is ok for a tail and great at 6v but almost 2x the cost of the goteck 9257
http://www.alofthobbies.com/kst-ds115-servo.html

Bottom line is how deep is your wallet
X-8 FPV Wing, TBS Discovery FPV, TBS Caipirinha FPV
satgod is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2012, 07:32 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Satgod - where did you get your goteck at? Also, do you know if theres any problem running this servo with Logitech 2100? I only ask because I know most people run the 9257's with the GY401 gyros. Thanks
WTMorgan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in