Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Electric Micro/Mini Helicopters > X400 and MX400

X400 and MX400 Ark X400 and HeliMax MX400 Helicopters Information

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2007, 10:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default HS65 servo question

I finally got tired of replacing broken plastic gears in my Hitec HS65HB servos so I installed a MG gear set in one servo tonight and noticed the servo having problems centering. I could hear the motor trying to turn with no input from the TX. I opened it back up and rechecked everything, found nothing wrong and put it back together and installed back in the heli.
The servo is now slightly slower than the two with the stock plastic gear sets, it matched in speed before the metal gears were installed.
Is this normal for MG equipped servos to be slightly slower until the gears wear in?
Gizmo6035 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2007, 04:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: HS65 servo question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo6035
I finally got tired of replacing broken plastic gears in my Hitec HS65HB servos so I installed a MG gear set in one servo tonight and noticed the servo having problems centering. I could hear the motor trying to turn with no input from the TX. I opened it back up and rechecked everything, found nothing wrong and put it back together and installed back in the heli.
The servo is now slightly slower than the two with the stock plastic gear sets, it matched in speed before the metal gears were installed.
Is this normal for MG equipped servos to be slightly slower until the gears wear in?
Not real sure gizmo, I'm still using the original carbonite gears that came with mine, I've had two head crashes and they still seem to work like a charm. They hold up rather well compared to the 55's. If you lose some speed, you shouldn't lose enough to notice. Hope you greased em up good before you installed them.
fedex is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2007, 08:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I think I will see if I can use my flight logger to measure amp draw on the problem servo vs one that is operating normally.

Quote:
If you lose some speed, you shouldn't lose enough to notice. Hope you greased em up good before you installed them.
Speed loss is producing the same effect as CCPM interaction between 1/3 to 2/3 stick on collective input, swash tips towards the MG servo about 1/32nd inch and then matches back up on both ends. This problem only started after gear replacement
Yes the gears were all given a light coat of white lithium grease during assembly
Old 03-15-2007, 08:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo6035
I think I will see if I can use my flight logger to measure amp draw on the problem servo vs one that is operating normally.

Quote:
If you lose some speed, you shouldn't lose enough to notice. Hope you greased em up good before you installed them.
Speed loss is producing the same effect as CCPM interaction between 1/3 to 2/3 stick on collective input, swash tips towards the MG servo about 1/32nd inch and then matches back up on both ends. This problem only started after gear replacement
Yes the gears were all given a light coat of white lithium grease during assembly
yeah, thats a crazy problem, you may have to change out all three at the same time? I duno. They should be close enough to the same speed I would imagine. Are you running an external bec? If not you may try one of those. Keeps everything running nice and cool most of the time, and distributes the voltage more evenly than most of the internal becs on the esc.
fedex is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2007, 10:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
yeah, thats a crazy problem, you may have to change out all three at the same time? I duno. They should be close enough to the same speed I would imagine. Are you running an external bec? If not you may try one of those. Keeps everything running nice and cool most of the time, and distributes the voltage more evenly than most of the internal becs on the esc.
I replaced the gears in another servo and it is now slightly slower than before. The amp draw is minimally different between before and after switching gears, .19 before vs .21 after. I think these gears just need to wear in a little and they should be ok
I am running a 5V ParkBEC but have been thinking about upgrade to the 6 volt for the added speed / torque on the servos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in