Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > RC Helicopter Flight School

RC Helicopter Flight School Instructional Flying Tips, Tricks, Videos, and Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2013, 04:33 PM   #61 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks - I do have RF, and I'll try that. I will also try increasing head speed and decreasing physics. I rather stick with one sim as my primary though. I know that making it harder in the sim will result in being better IRL, but the whole trick is the strategy of advancing through "small wins". It works without collective control, but I'm getting "big defeats" with collective control ...
Any other ideas? What about forcing myself to a smaller / tighter circle with Heli-X in charge of the collective, then switching to collective control with reduced physics?

Last edited by Olaf06; 08-03-2013 at 11:46 PM..
Olaf06 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2013, 04:41 PM   #62 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageAU View Post
So we are flying between countries now (Don't you hate auto-correct).
Caught me posting from my phone!

My flight log:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...2c&usp=sharing
jmtyndall is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2013, 05:01 PM   #63 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quick update: I tried it in Heli-X with reduced physics [65% slo-mo], with a 700+ size helie, and it seems to be much more manageable. So the plan is to start there and move up again. Painful, but at least it gives the option of "small wins" :-)

BTW, if you wish to practice flying the disc, try the Razor Blade 7E Lightweight Edition - NIGHT [I don't think you can get a brighter rotor disc!]

I think that I must be able to control the collective well to progress to level 3 [flips & rolls are easy ... on the sim].

So, the question is: what should be my target in terms of keeping the heli's height? fixed as much as possible? and if so, at what height?
Old 08-02-2013, 05:23 PM   #64 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olaf06 View Post
Quick update: I tried it in Heli-X with reduced physics [65% slo-mo], with a 700+ size helie, and it seems to be much more manageable. So the plan is to start there and move up again. Painful, but at least it gives the option of "small wins" :-)
Good. Glad you have a way forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olaf06 View Post
I thing that I must be able to control the collective well to progress to level 3 [flips 7 rolls are easy ... on the sim].

So, the question is: what should be my target in terms of keeping the heli's height? fixed as much as possible? and if so, at what height?
Try keep at eye level (or just below), so you can still see the ground. Try to keep height as fixed as possible.

Glad flips and rolls are easy (also lazy 8's I assume).

Once you get upright slow piros down, invert piro will seem to be your next learning "cliff". Progressing difficulty slows down to a regular curve after that.

Best of luck.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:23 PM   #65 (permalink)
Registered Users

What orientation should you have down for inverted before attempting piros? Nose in? My flips and rolls are still REALLY sloppy, but I want to be able to hover before risking my bird
Old 08-02-2013, 09:39 PM   #66 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default trying From tail-in to all 8s and funnels in 6 months

I'd say most find that tail in inverted is the easiest, And the easiest way to get there is a right roll.
Russell Harding is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2013, 10:39 PM   #67 (permalink)
Registered Users

That's opposite for me, i'm way more comfortable at nose in and the steering and direction movement is natural to me for some reason. been working a bit on the tail in tho but I mix up my simming to try pretty much everything I know or at least a handful of things in one session.
Stubbz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2013, 10:45 PM   #68 (permalink)
Registered Users

Last night lesson 1 was 56 crashes. No actual complete 360 rotation.

Tonight lesson 1 with 42 crashes and two of the, very ugly but in the F3C box, hovers actually had a complete 360 rotation of the heli.

The smaller and more deliberate the input the easier it is.

I got that off the "pinch" method article. I am going to that method. In real life I find when pulling back my thumb is barley touching and when pushing forward my finger eases off. My finger and thumb are in concert.... haha
Blade 70 S!!
Furias15x is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2013, 10:45 PM   #69 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Today I did four sessions, I gotta make up some sessions tomorrow, inverted piros are getting better. Upright piros are so boring now.... Added new stuff to the spreadsheet, my total amount of crashes... thats a high number

Spreadsheet - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...UamFVc2c&singl
Kaolith is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2013, 06:03 AM   #70 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmtyndall View Post
What orientation should you have down for inverted before attempting piros? Nose in? My flips and rolls are still REALLY sloppy, but I want to be able to hover before risking my bird
I had both inverted nose-in and inverted tail-in able to hold in free space (not piro circle) for about a minute each before attempting piros.

I got inverted nose-in first because I found front flip most comfortable invert method. Roll used to put me off to the side too far if I got the timing wrong and side-on was my weakest orientation.

I would make sure you can hover invert in the sim for a minute (any single orientation) before trying IRL. With daily training, it is usually on a matter of weeks (2-3) till you can hold an inverted slow piro for at least one rotation. Ideally, I would advise to wait till you can do this before risking IRL at height (this way, you can probably cope with anything at height).
Old 08-03-2013, 06:04 AM   #71 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furias15x View Post
Last night lesson 1 was 56 crashes. No actual complete 360 rotation.

Tonight lesson 1 with 42 crashes and two of the, very ugly but in the F3C box, hovers actually had a complete 360 rotation of the heli.

The smaller and more deliberate the input the easier it is.

I got that off the "pinch" method article. I am going to that method. In real life I find when pulling back my thumb is barley touching and when pushing forward my finger eases off. My finger and thumb are in concert.... haha
Really well done. (especially the complete rotation). I remember it was like woo hoo.. when I first got this.

Keep up the good work.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:00 AM   #72 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaolith View Post
Today I did four sessions, I gotta make up some sessions tomorrow, inverted piros are getting better. Upright piros are so boring now.... Added new stuff to the spreadsheet, my total amount of crashes... thats a high number
Looks VERY good.

You will note the quick drop off in crash numbers upright (went from 12 to 6, then down). I think in the next few days, inverted will do the same thing.

You may want to intermix 2:1 instead of 1:1 upright/inverted. Still need the occasional upright (although they are now boring). Try narrow the upright so it's almost on the spot (may want to record the number of "wanders" from the central spot instead of just crashed for upright).

For upright, I went to reversing 8 point hovers instead of slow piros (Tail S, SE, E, NE, N, NW, W, SW, reverse to S, SW, W, NW, N, NE, E, SE). At each point had to hold for 2s over centre, before advancing. Forces you to practice the weaker orientations. (All while listening to music or audiobooks).

You are doing great. Keep going. Next will be circles and 8s.
Old 08-03-2013, 03:11 PM   #73 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Finally made it under 20 crashes on inverted ! It hasnt clicked completely yet but getting there!
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...Xc&usp=sharing
Himilou is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2013, 03:38 PM   #74 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himilou View Post
Finally made it under 20 crashes on inverted ! It hasnt clicked completely yet but getting there!
Looking good.

You have already come a long way. Keep it up.
Old 08-03-2013, 05:43 PM   #75 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I had both inverted nose-in and inverted tail-in able to hold in free space (not piro circle) for about a minute each before attempting piros.

I got inverted nose-in first because I found front flip most comfortable invert method. Roll used to put me off to the side too far if I got the timing wrong and side-on was my weakest orientation.

I would make sure you can hover invert in the sim for a minute (any single orientation) before trying IRL. With daily training, it is usually on a matter of weeks (2-3) till you can hold an inverted slow piro for at least one rotation. Ideally, I would advise to wait till you can do this before risking IRL at height (this way, you can probably cope with anything at height).
First, thanks for being involved with this thread, since you wrote the program and all.

Second, any good videos on collective management for flips or rolls? I try to cross mid-stick right as the disk is perpendicular to the ground. Is the secret to not loosing height a smooth transition from positive to negative? That's what I'm trying but the flips aren't tight and controlled, I lose a lot of altitude, so I haven't been willing to try one yet with my heli
Old 08-03-2013, 06:12 PM   #76 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

try hitting zero pitch a little before the halfway mark. The heli already has inertia to carry it through.Being smooth on the sticks helps too.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:08 PM   #77 (permalink)
Registered Users

So I need to be a little ahead of the heli? Should be applying a little negative pitch By the time the disc is vertical? That actually makes sense, since while hovering you have to stay a little ahead of the heli.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:05 PM   #78 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Did 5 sessions today Did more inverted, definitely feeling better about it. For upright, I shrunk the circle to small and that highlighted how much I was wandering. Gonnna keep working on that. Lots to work on. Lil bit discouraged... Circles and 8's may have to be postponed ArchmageAU... I'll get there eventually!

Progress report - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...=0&output=html
Kaolith is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2013, 11:35 PM   #79 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I looked at your sheet! Seems to me that you are doing just fine.

I was also very happy to see that for the inverted lessions I'm not the only one whos crash count fluctuates up and down. * was starting to feel very dumb thumb.

And year Im an ArchMage training course junkie right now, I did 4 today too and will do more this evening!

Cheers!
Old 08-03-2013, 11:49 PM   #80 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I now tried both RF and Heli-X.
In RF I almost don't even touch the throttle too much, in Heli-X, it's extremely sensitive [that transitional lift].
It makes me a bit worried about continuing to use Heli-X because it's so twitchy :-(

Quote:
So we are flying between countries now (Don't you hate auto-correct).

Yes Heli-X "seems" more sensitive to translational lift that IRL. I assume you do not have wind turned on. (I do, but I like the sim to be more challenging than IRL - so when I fly for real it's easier). In reality, my X5 does move (and lift) much like the heli's in Heli-X.

My advice is really to stick with it. It will make you a better pilot as you get more used to it (and it does help IRL - I find my 130x, when it leaves translational lift, drops like a stone. My Heli-X training helped me to automatically catch it the first few times it did it unexpectedly). I fly quite comfortably in gusty conditions.

If it is too much, slow the sim down another 5% till you crash less, then work your way back up the speeds. Keep notes in your log on this (you will look back on it later and realise how much better you have become).

I also found a higher head speed does tone down the translational lift a little (as well as make the heli more "twitchy" on the cyclics).

Best of luck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in