Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Henseleit

Henseleit Henseleit Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2015, 05:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default TDR head question

Just had a beautiful day of flying with both my TDR.

One thing bothers me and I am not sure if it is normal or not because I did not pay attention to it before.

Both my TDR head have an up and down play when I grab both blade grip, sort of like a seesaw swing action.

Is this normal or did I rebuild them wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2015, 08:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mine does it too, and I have also been wondering if it's normal...
two other TDR's I fly with, but I keep forgetting to check theirs too

I'll try to remember tomorrow.
Retired2011 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2015, 10:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I got a PM confirmation that it is normal depending on the bushing used. Red/Black combo will have the play. White/black will not.

Always nice to know since none of my other brand helicopters were doing that behaviour.
Old 06-14-2015, 06:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Retired2011 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2015, 10:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yes its the plastic bush in the head:
Black bush = wobbly head, harder damper o rings (standard)
White bush = tigher more locked in, use the softer red/black combination of o rings.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzTDR + II
Alun
CyprusFlyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2015, 11:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Friends,

Like to seek advise and sorry to hijack this thread.

Just got a preowned TDR and the previous owner told me that I need to rebuilt the head cos its notchy. Replaced all the bearings and there is still this "notchiness" as I rotate the blade holders.

Like to know if anyone has experience in what the problem is or is that normal again?
[TDR 1x 800 1x Speed] [Prôtos Max V2] [Kasama Dune] [Outrage Fusion 50 6HV head] [Prôtos 500] [Outrage G5] [SAB Goblin 380] [Mini Prôtos (Stretched)] [Warp 360] [vWinRC 450T (Stretched)] [FBLs 3Sx, Spirit, vBar, BeastX; mCPX BL; DX9]
SN1975 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2015, 12:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

No that's not normal, I would make sure you have all bearings in the right order/orientation. Also if you just rebuilt with existing parts maybe the thrust bearings (or radials for that matter) are bad and need replacing.

The blade grips should turn very smoothly on the spindle.

Jeti DS24 / VControl Touch
aziz76 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2015, 12:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Make sure the radial bearings (closer to the hub) are seated properly. TDR has such tight tolerance. Jan has suggested to me that heat the blade grips to install the radial bearings to ensure proper seating.
CACN is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2015, 07:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by aziz76 View Post
No that's not normal, I would make sure you have all bearings in the right order/orientation. Also if you just rebuilt with existing parts maybe the thrust bearings (or radials for that matter) are bad and need replacing.

The blade grips should turn very smoothly on the spindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CACN View Post
Make sure the radial bearings (closer to the hub) are seated properly. TDR has such tight tolerance. Jan has suggested to me that heat the blade grips to install the radial bearings to ensure proper seating.
Thanks everyone. Yah. Should have thought of the thrust bearings. Stupid me. Changed everything. Why not the thrust bearings.
[TDR 1x 800 1x Speed] [Prôtos Max V2] [Kasama Dune] [Outrage Fusion 50 6HV head] [Prôtos 500] [Outrage G5] [SAB Goblin 380] [Mini Prôtos (Stretched)] [Warp 360] [vWinRC 450T (Stretched)] [FBLs 3Sx, Spirit, vBar, BeastX; mCPX BL; DX9]
Old 08-27-2015, 03:34 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

If there's one piece of advice I would give to anyone putting a TDR head together, it would be to use a heat gun when installing the bearings.

The bearings should just drop into place with a satisfying looseness.

Any other method is asking for bearings to be ever so slightly not seated and radial bearings damaged upon tightening of the blade grip screws.

I know - I've tried a grip-bearing install shortcut myself and had to redo it.
Groucho_ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2015, 05:13 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho_ View Post
If there's one piece of advice I would give to anyone putting a TDR head together, it would be to use a heat gun when installing the bearings.

The bearings should just drop into place with a satisfying looseness.

Any other method is asking for bearings to be ever so slightly not seated and radial bearings damaged upon tightening of the blade grip screws.

I know - I've tried a grip-bearing install shortcut myself and had to redo it.

OMG, looks like I am in trouble. Cos last night I couldn't get the bearings out at all. Sigh. This is the second set of bearings I installed. Don't have a heat gun too.

I am putting out this appeal to any kind helifreak soul here who might want to help me put the head together and put it right of course. I will send all the needed bearings, take care of the shipping to and back and if you need a small fee for the time and effort.

I think this may reduce my frustration in the long run.

Appealing for help here.

Many thanks.
Old 08-27-2015, 05:58 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Remain calm.

It's a simple fix. But you really should get yourself a heat gun.

They are inexpensive and indispensable for this sort of situation.

Once you've heated the blade grips with a heat gun the bearings will simply fall out.

I know it seems impossible to believe. I still have trouble believing my eyes every time those bearings fall in and out so effortlessly when I'm installing, and removing them.

Until your heat gun is delivered, you can put the grips in the oven and heat them.

In both cases, use a thick cloth glove or mitt. I use some kind of heavy duty gardening (or maybe it was welding) glove.
Groucho_ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2015, 08:09 AM   #13 (permalink)
CHC Benefactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SN1975 View Post
OMG, looks like I am in trouble. Cos last night I couldn't get the bearings out at all. Sigh. This is the second set of bearings I installed. Don't have a heat gun too.

I am putting out this appeal to any kind helifreak soul here who might want to help me put the head together and put it right of course. I will send all the needed bearings, take care of the shipping to and back and if you need a small fee for the time and effort.

I think this may reduce my frustration in the long run.

Appealing for help here.

Many thanks.
I've got TDR but never reassembled head, yet

I can loan you a heat gun, shipping not so far

PM sent.
Raptorapture is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2015, 08:32 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

PM replied
Old 08-28-2015, 10:27 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi all,

Like to announce that my problem is sort of settled. Flying buddy very near me owns a heat gun and yup everything just falls apart and falls in place.

And OMG everyone here is right. It's the thrust bearings.

My thanks to Raptorrapture who is so kind to offer help and we had a good chat. Maybe we can get together for a nice fun fly once I get my TDR ready.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	605541  
Old 08-29-2015, 02:30 AM   #16 (permalink)
CHC Benefactor

Great news! Good chatting. Hope it's in the air soon
Raptorapture is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in