Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Batteries and Charging Support > LiIon, LiPo, NiCd & NiMh General

LiIon, LiPo, NiCd & NiMh General General Battery Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2015, 07:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Glacier & Pulse questions

Hello all,
I have only two batteries for my 450 and they got me scratching my head. I figured I would call on the collective experience of y'all on this forum to straighten me out. The first is a newer Pulse 65C 3S battery that freaking flies great! Plenty of power there to push the Scorpion -8 motor and it comes down cool and non-puffed after 6:30 (I haven't graduated to 3D flight yet). But I have noticed after only 26 flights, the IR is a bit off. 14, 5, 6. I am wondering if cell #1 being that much higher is cause for concern. I notice after a flight, that same cell is usually about .03V higher than the other two. Am I concerned over nothing?
The second battery is a Glacier 35C that is a little older (maybe 45 flights on it) but has taken a pretty bad crash. The battery has a slight dent on the side of one cell and flies well, but comes down pretty warm and puffed up. It never looses the puff, even when cool. The IR is higher- 17, 24, 23. Should I be concerned with this battery even if it still performs?
I'm going to buy 2 more batteries soon and I like the Pulse Ultras, but am wondering if the Thunder Power G8 is worth the hype?

Thanks for your time, and y'all stay safe,
Mike
mike77gmc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2015, 08:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Define "Concerned".

The pulse has a bad cell starting. It is fine for now, and it sounds like you're already watching it closely. One of the bigger signs will be self discharge and a lower resting voltage after a day or two (by .1V or more).

The glacer is just getting old. High IRs and puffing. If it is still flying, keep at it until performance isn't what you need and get another.

A 6:30 flight is pretty long. Make sure you're not going below 3.75V resting voltage after a flight. Also make sure to not store them charged, even for a week. That is about the best way to shorten the life of a battery.
Russell Harding is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2015, 08:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My experience: Thunder power: not worth the hype (cost, really). I fly Glaciers (hard) on my 700 and would buy again. Have had Thunder power for my 450 (not impressed at all), Optipower (good, but no better than glacier for my 700). I've also been plenty happy with Turnigy a-spec, but they cost in the ballpark of the 'better' batteries anyway.
Old 04-25-2015, 08:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for the input, guys. It sounds like I caused the problems. I was new and ignorant when they were new and for a while I charged them after flying, and left them full for flying the next day. Won't do that anymore! Plus I thought the magic number was 3.7v and the resting voltage I have with those flight times is usually between 3.72 & 3.73. Perhaps that might have harmed them as well. Live and learn, huh? I am going to drop my flight times by 20 seconds and see what happens.

Mike
mike77gmc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2015, 10:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

LIPO BASICS READ ME FIRST

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=336421
Old 04-25-2015, 11:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

The batteries you're using are cheap. It might be worth your time (money) to keep abusing them if you don't mind buying them at the current rate (about 3x faster than normal). I don't fuss too much with my small batteries, but a $300 pack for a 700 is a different story.
Old 04-26-2015, 02:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Last time I checked a Glacier 2200 mah 3 cell was like $25.
I too learned the 'hard way' how to take care of batteries, albeit with my 130x and $5 batteries.

Next time you get new batteries take note of:
Flight times / what you set your timer at
Starting Voltage (4.19 for me)
Ending Voltage (Immediate & after resting 5 minutes)
Internal Resistance
How many mAh you are putting back in.
*Just be aware that old/tired packs might have decreased capacity.

If you have a 2200 mAh hour pack and follow the 80% rule, you should be putting 2200 x .80 = 1760 mAh back in. NOT 2200 mAh!!!!!
Old 04-26-2015, 11:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

All of my 5s and 6s are puffy. Almost to the point of not fitting in my 480. Will never buy another glacier. My pulse are holding up very well.

VCONTROL*NEO*TRIBUNUS*MKS*VTX*DPL8 W/BUMP CONTROL*MEANWELL
Corvette & Copter Guy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2015, 09:29 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I fly the Glacier 30c 2200 packs in my 450x, and my wife's 350QX2. I'm running the Scorpion 2221-8 motor and am getting 4:30 sport flying with 30% left in the pack.

Have had no issues with puffing or high IR numbers. When it comes time to replace them, I'll probably get the Glaciers again, just the 35c packs this time.

I don't run them to LVC or leave them fully charged, but I'm not super anal about them either.

Helis: Oxy3 285/Cube Tail, Oxy 3 255, Goblin 500, Goblin 380, 180CFX
XRedJar is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in