Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Skookum Robotics

Skookum Robotics Skookum Robotics SK-360 SK-540 & SK-720 Digital Flybar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2010, 10:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Where are the 720 flight reports?

Aside from the beta testers I think I have read 1 or 2 reports. Did most of the preorders go to sk360 users or those with smaller helis? I would love to read more reports of larger nitro pilots and those coming from another high end system like the Vbar. So far the one nitro report didn't look promising with a vibration level up over 7 or 8. I have one on preorder from the 3rd batch but may just go with the Total-G.
Gscott is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2010, 12:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=206835

Here?

What kind of heli do you have?

The vibration problems so far have been related to:

(1) My bad :o
(2) Gasoline power
(3) Unbalanced rotory parts

The third item is very easy to fix. The heli will fly with vibrations over 7, but the recorder will not work and self-leveling is turned off.

Blade can provide some details.

Do you have specific questions?

Rick

Last edited by rickn816; 04-23-2010 at 08:52 PM..
rickn816 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2010, 12:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I read that thread and there were maybe 3 or 4 people with flight reports and I believe all but 1 was a beta tester. I along with most would like to see reports from everyday pilots with previous FBL experience. I have read Blade's posts but I'm would like to see others with Vbar experience as well. The report from the 700 user with vibration issues didn't sound promising.

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...70#post1994970

Maybe it's just me but I would assume those who ordered early enough to get in on the first batch were "power users" and we would be seeing more flight reports.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

What is the problem with the turbine power? Shouldn't be vibration related on that...

I was hoping this would be good for my turbine....

Paul
Old 04-22-2010, 01:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

>the report from the 700 user with vibration issues didn't sound promising...

The unit will fly well in normal flybarless mode even with vibration scores that are off the scale.

What gergob was trying to do is see if he could get a score low enough to get good flight logs out of his nitro. We know it's possible (we've done it here), but have to refine mounting methods so it can be done consistently in the field (the towel method is a bit unconventional!). Damping linear vibration (accels) needs different mounting strategies vs the well-known ways to damp angular (gyro) vibration.

The future GPS accessory will also give the unit more data to work with, to help out for high-vibration machines.
Skookum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2010, 01:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gscott View Post
I read that thread and there were maybe 3 or 4 people with flight reports and I believe all but 1 was a beta tester. I along with most would like to see reports from everyday pilots with previous FBL experience. I have read Blade's posts but I'm would like to see others with Vbar experience as well. The report from the 700 user with vibration issues didn't sound promising.

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...70#post1994970

Maybe it's just me but I would assume those who ordered early enough to get in on the first batch were "power users" and we would be seeing more flight reports.
Guess you missed my report. I'm not a beta tester and the fact that I was comfortable enough on the very first flight with default 3D settings to throw it around 3D-ing should tell you something! Especially since I don't have previous flybarless experience!

I am working on getting the vibration level down trying different mountings and still have to check the balance of the rotating parts. I pretty much just mounted the SK-720, put the flybarless head on it, did the 720 set up and went flying! Even with high vibes around 7.5, this thing flys AWESOME! The vibes aren't the fault of the 720 and I never would have known that I needed to look into balancing things again without the 720 giving me a warning. You sure can't tell from how it flys on the heli!
Old 04-22-2010, 02:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Many of them just received their units last week and are still putting them in their machines. I expect there will be more flying this weekend.

I probably won't get to check out the new firmware (Beta) until the rain stops here this weekend.

The heli flies fine with high vibrations. The self-leveling and the flight logs will not work if the vibration levels are above 7 or so.

I'm comfortable enough with the unit that I purchased a second one.

Rick
Old 04-22-2010, 05:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppridday View Post
What is the problem with the turbine power? Shouldn't be vibration related on that...

I was hoping this would be good for my turbine....

Paul

Paul -

Rick I think got it wrong about the turbine. If I remember correctly the turbine had a very lowe vib score. Now the same guys gas heli did have some issues with vibs!

People need to remember that the vib score only matters if your going to use self leveling. In no way with it hurt how the unit flys, unless you have some major vibs going on!

Ken
blade strike is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2010, 06:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

That's good news. One day I may have enough time to go scale on my turbine and in my opinion that means a scale head as well.

Thanks,

Paul
Old 04-22-2010, 06:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I didn't want anybody too get anxious about my vib scores going above 7. Even having so much vibration i felt no difference in my flight than now. At 70MPH Fast Foreward Flight i could take my hands off the controls, it was tracking perfectly. I just wanted to see if i could get them lower, and perhaps improve the video playback accuracy. I had a lot of time on my hands, and i don't mind being unconventional (my trex250 has at least 13 zipties on it holding it together). I still think the SK720 is the coolest thing since sliced bread.
gergob@gmail.com is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2010, 07:39 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
The vibration problems so far have been related to:

(1) Turbine power
(2) Gasoline power
(3) Unbalanced rotor parts
I'm the one with the Turbine and Gasser. The Turbine is smooth as silk. No vibes at all!

The Gasser is a different story, but the good news is that I have the vibes down quite a bit. So far most of the vibes have been mechanical. I was doing great until last Sunday when I got cocky and was flying inverted when I put it in. I haven't downloaded the playback yet because I really don't want to see how bad I dumbthumbed it. I am having issues flying inverted. Its a skill issue:arg:

I have been experimenting with different mounts and now I am using a layer of green zeal tape, a thick (from 611 Gyro) metal plate and two strips of normal servo tape. That seems to work well. Once I get my engine back I'll be testing again.

Lou
www.circlecityhelis.com
lperagallo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2010, 07:45 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My issue is the bailout is one of the advantages the 720 has over some of the others like the Vbar and Total-G. If it turns out it is going to be very difficult to use that on a nitro then that advantage disappears. I'm already flying a Vbar on my 3D+ which is why I'm looking for more comparisons. Nothing against those for whom the 720 is their 1st FBL unit but when I flew my first Vbar heli I felt the same.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:01 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
My issue is the bailout is one of the advantages the 720 has over some of the others like the Vbar and Total-G. If it turns out it is going to be very difficult to use that on a nitro then that advantage disappears. I'm already flying a Vbar on my 3D+ which is why I'm looking for more comparisons. Nothing against those for whom the 720 is their 1st FBL unit but when I flew my first Vbar heli I felt the same.
It is also costs less than the v-bar.

Rick
Old 04-22-2010, 08:05 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

GScott posted this same thing on RR... Starting to look like something else than just a question()
blade strike is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2010, 08:08 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade strike View Post
GScott posted this same thing on RR... Starting to look like something else than just a question()
Again, I'm preaching to the choir, but our hobby is not "one size fits all." Competition is good for everybody. If Scott is more comfortable with another unit, good for him.

Rick
Old 04-22-2010, 09:09 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade strike View Post
And???? Not everyone reads both forums. If I had an agenda then I wouldn't have preorders for the 720 and the Total G. I asked legitimate questions and suddenly I have an agenda and people are getting defensive.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:37 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi GScott,
I totally understand where you are coming from. All these new systems, it's so hard to decide!!

I've had a vBar in my Protos for about 300 flights, and I must have 100 on the Sk720 now. Initially I had it mounted on my Trex 600 12s, and just recently upgraded to a Logo 600 and moved it there.

From the first flight, I have been thoroughly impressed. The flight characteristics are spot on. You get a totally neutral and balanced flight characteristic, flat piros, consistent tail, and precise cyclic. The system feels very connected and under control, while still having extreme agility. The thing tracks awesome. Tic tocs hold their axis, rolls are axial, rainbows track perfectly, flips stay on track 10 in a row, "ugly half piro flips" are very easy to control. I'm just starting to play with the bail out feature, so I have no comment there.

Setup is incredibly easy, and the GUI includes wizards that hand hold you through the whole process. The GUI also shows an intuitive picture of the helis movement so wyou can verify that you have the sensor direction correct. It also shows you live data you can verify your radio settings.

The SK720 also does great autos. It recognizes when you hit TH, and makes some adjustments to the flight parameters to minimize the chance of a tip over. I've had several hairy auto landings where I over controlled it. On my vbar or (previously owned 3g) it would for sure have tipped over.

The logging is awesome. It's so awesome to KNOW when you have a vibration issue on the heli. It takes all the mystery out of problem solving vibe issues. As Art mentioned, you only need low vibes for the 3D logging and self leveling to work well. Without any effort, my Logo 600 averages about a 4 with very aggressive stick banging. The T600 would hit 7. Art is constantly enhancing the logging feature, and if you listen to this weeks InsideHeli, lots of cool features are in the works including the addition of real time flight pack voltage (RX already works), current, and RPM logging shown real time in the Log with 3D playback of your flight. They are also working hard to make the logging work better on nitros. In addition, GPS will greatly enhance the logging feature and provide cool data such as top speed, altitude, etc,

Anyway, I'm super happy with it, and given a clean slate I would not hesitate to buy a SK720 over a vBar. Hands down, no question for me.

The TotalG looks nice also, and I really like the gov feature. But the SK720 will eventually add this as well, and the suite of other features (2Gb SD, Logging, 3D playback, bailout) has the TotalG beat in my mind. But based on its pedigree I'm sure it flies awesome also.

Hope this helps.
OnTheSnap is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2010, 04:35 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hi OnTheSnap.
Have you mount the SK on your PRO, if so, where ?

I have a SK720 on the way, it have to go around Hong Kong a trip before I can recieve it

I was planning to put it under the bottom of the heli, and the sat-antenna (just one) on the gyroplate.

I am running Stock ESC, Align Servos and the Mikado head/swashdriver.
bjosko is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2010, 05:58 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjosko View Post
Hi OnTheSnap.
Have you mount the SK on your PRO, if so, where ?

I have a SK720 on the way, it have to go around Hong Kong a trip before I can recieve it

I was planning to put it under the bottom of the heli, and the sat-antenna (just one) on the gyroplate.

I am running Stock ESC, Align Servos and the Mikado head/swashdriver.
Consider a second sat.

Rick
Old 04-23-2010, 06:00 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
And???? Not everyone reads both forums. If I had an agenda then I wouldn't have preorders for the 720 and the Total G. I asked legitimate questions and suddenly I have an agenda and people are getting defensive.
I have two units. I think you will be pleased with the performance.

Rick

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in