Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gasser Helicopters > TRM Power

TRM Power TRM Power - Toxic Al Factory Support Forum Worldwide. Any Product.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2005, 05:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default TRM G231. Problems removing stock metal plate...

Hi,

I was removing the stock metal mounting plate that came with my TRM G231. I was able to remove two of the three mounting screw's without incident. The third screw was so tight no matter how much force I used I could not break it free. I tried it one final time and I stripped it out. When it stripped out it made all sorts of metal shavings get into the flywheel magnet. I was finally able to get the final screw out using a stripped screw extractor. Is there any way to get these metal shavings out of the flywheel area? What should I do? I'm guessing that these shavings are going to probably short out the ignition. Is it normal for these screws to be so tight?
Dash is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2005, 07:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Anytime they don't loosen right up, I use a microtorch to heat up the bolt and the part of the case that it threads into. Usually come right out.

shavings - if they aren't between the flywheel face and the coil pickups they may never cause any problem, however to be sure about all you can do now is to pull the flywheel and clean it.

This isn't that hard, you need two bolts (about 2-3" long) that you can thread into the holes on the flywheel and a flat piece of still metal to make a wheel puller out of. Drill two holes in the plate that match the distance of the holes in the flywheel, then remove the pull start cog (and the nut from the kit if you installed it) put the plate over the end of the crankshaft and simply tighten both bolts. The flywheel will pop off and you can clean it.

To reinstall it, just realign it with the key, slide it on and tighten up the nut or pull start cog.

carey shurley is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2005, 10:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I appreciate the help Carey. I'm going to try and remove the flywheel tonight. One more question for you. Do you know what the thread size is for the holes in the flywheel?
Old 01-17-2005, 11:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think they are 6mm

Old 01-18-2005, 08:17 AM   #5 (permalink)

I tried pulling the flywheel off last night and was unsuccesful at getting it to come off. I might have pulled it a few mm, but after that it would not budge. I'm starting to get really frustrated. I'm worried that I'm going to or have already some how damaged this engine. Can I send this motor in to be taken apart, cleaned and checked over and then sent back to me?
Old 01-18-2005, 11:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

can you take a picture of the assembly with your wheel puller attached? This should work pretty easily
Old 01-18-2005, 01:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

Unfortunately I don't have a digital camera. I had a small piece of steal with two holes drilled to exactly align with the two threaded holes in the flywheel. I then put this piece of steal on top of the shaft. Then I threaded both screws thru the metal bar into the two threaded holes on the fly wheel. I slowly added tension equally to each screw. I was maybe able to move it a mm. I was cranking on the screw to the point where the metal bar started to flex. If I cranked any harder on the bolts, I probably would have stripped out the threads.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Hi Dash,

I just talked to Toxic Al. He wants to see your motor and will fix it. Please PM me for details.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in