Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Skookum Robotics

Skookum Robotics Skookum Robotics SK-360 SK-540 & SK-720 Digital Flybar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 09:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Just ordered the SK-GPS from Skookum!

I'm looking forward to January!

Thanks for all the hard work guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 10:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkovalcson View Post
I'm looking forward to January!

Thanks for all the hard work guys!
very cool, and I'm really anxious to see what results you guys get once you get them.

One question that has been bugging me about this setup though.......what happens when January comes and goes? They have all of your money for a product that wasn't immediately shipped, and the 45 days with Pay Pal is long gone, so you have no recourse.

Don't get me wrong, I don't expect Skookum to screw anyone, but wouldn't a deposit of some sort be more appropriate to hold a place in line for the first 25 rather than paying in full up front for an item whose estimated delivery has come and gone many, many times?

The only reason I didn't jump in was because I don't want my money being held hostage if they don't deliver on time.
Xrayted is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 10:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

If the date slides it slides.

Meanwhile I'm supporting their efforts and I have no problem with that.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkovalcson View Post
If the date slides it slides.

Meanwhile I'm supporting their efforts and I have no problem with that.
+1
DMC970 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 01:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

In that case you have up to three months from the date of purchase to take it up with your issuing bank.
Groucho_ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 03:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I know nothing about this, whats the deal?
Old 12-02-2012, 03:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

You inform the bank that you effected a paypal purchase and have not received the merchandise.

They then initiate a chargeback procedure based on your declaration.

Within a week or two the funds are credited back to your account.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho_ View Post
In that case you have up to three months from the date of purchase to take it up with your issuing bank.
One would assume that you would take it up with SK first, I doubt they have so many of these that they wouldn't just give you a refund if it was late. Very likely they could just sell it straight away to someone else.

Paypal complaints and CC chargebacks are a weapon of last resort. Over use them and people will stop accepting those methods of payment.
-Goblin 500, HC3SX, Hyp DH16/MKS980BL, Scorp 4015-1100
desertstalker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 08:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

What is this going to do actually? A hard deck? How low can the deck be set? Will it work on the 540?
Old 12-02-2012, 08:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyster View Post
What is this going to do actually? A hard deck? How low can the deck be set? Will it work on the 540?
I don't think it will work on the 540 because it partially relies on the accelerometers in the SK-720. Also the SK-720 has a plug for the GPS clearly labeled on it, and I don't think the 540 has such a plug.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:59 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Does not work with SK540. SK-GPS depends on the accelerometers in the SK720 for it to work.

If vibration presents during flight especially during hard 3D maneuvers that often confuses the unit (not sure about the new black version and hope that it is better), SL will be disabled without you knowing, then the gps unit would just become an extra piece of $500 dead weight. It would give you a false sense of security and does more harm than good.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:31 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewR View Post
Does not work with SK540. SK-GPS depends on the accelerometers in the SK720 for it to work.

If vibration presents during flight especially during hard 3D maneuvers that often confuses the unit (not sure about the new black version and hope that it is better), SL will be disabled without you knowing, then the gps unit would just become an extra piece of $500 dead weight. It would give you a false sense of security and does more harm than good.

Wow, that is scary. I was interested in the Sk720 with GPS, but not if this is what I can expect. I have 2 HC3SX units that work perfect every single time I use them from any position. I will have to wait for Sk720 to catch up I guess.
SMOKEMASTER60 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 03:37 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertstalker View Post
One would assume that you would take it up with SK first, I doubt they have so many of these that they wouldn't just give you a refund if it was late. Very likely they could just sell it straight away to someone else.

Paypal complaints and CC chargebacks are a weapon of last resort. Over use them and people will stop accepting those methods of payment.
I was just detailing the procedure.

Of course one would be asked by the bank to produce copies of correspondence with the vendor, PayPal etc.

I didn't feel there was any reason to go into specifics here, I was simply allaying the fears of the poster who rightly noted that PayPal's 45-day window to open a dispute would have passed.

Furthermore, having dealt with Art on a few occasions, I highly doubt any such problem scenario occurring with Skookum.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:38 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
SK-GPS depends on the accelerometers in the SK720 for it to work.

=] I'm testing with a "deliberate" high vibe, the gps has never lost lock since day one using it, not once!

georgi UK is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 01:09 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have 5 SK units and with my limited skills, 3 of them will never have the SL disabled no matter what I do to it.

2 other ones howerver will disable SL in flight if I start throwing them around. The GPS unit won't help me in this situation will it?

These 2 are the ones that I am worried about. If I practice new moves, I often have to stop and do a quick test to make sure SL still work. If SL does not work anymore because of high vibe than I work just stick to what I know.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:21 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
I have 5 SK units and with my limited skills, 3 of them will never have the SL disabled no matter what I do to it.

2 other ones howerver will disable SL in flight if I start throwing them around. The GPS unit won't help me in this situation will it?

These 2 are the ones that I am worried about. If I practice new moves, I often have to stop and do a quick test to make sure SL still work. If SL does not work anymore because of high vibe than I work just stick to what I know.
=] we would do better here to find the vibe causing the shut down, got any logs we can look at?

georgi UK is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 01:22 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKEMASTER60 View Post
Wow, that is scary. I was interested in the Sk720 with GPS, but not if this is what I can expect. I have 2 HC3SX units that work perfect every single time I use them from any position. I will have to wait for Sk720 to catch up I guess.
Actually, it is quite the other way around. The new SK Gps is far more advanced in every sense than the HC3SX. I looked quite hard at this system myself and personally know guys using it. The fact that it works doesn't make it better though. Kind of like saying I can take my 92 Accord to the store to pick up some milk, or drive my M3 to the store. But for sure I will hit the twisties on the way with the latter of the two and loose a half inch of rubber on the way.

These are rough times for Skookum. This live data process is horrifically intense and is what I call a world class programming challenge. It has also bottlenecked Skookum. No Sk720s to sell, the black program release is also stalled. I have not a single doubt cashflow is tight right now. And the pressure cooker is on high. I can flat out promise the midnight oil has been brightly burning at Skookum Robotics.

I will not be able to afford one of these for quite a while myself. So my interests in this are purely intellectual. But I still will place even cash on the fact that this system will blow away most the competition when it finally gets released. I have no doubts there will still be a nagging few tics here and there that will need to be addressed. Just going by the track record with all the companies doing this btw. And when it does hit, I think it will be highly interesting to see the results hit the mainstream instead of snippets from the beta testers I get to see along the way.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:55 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcallister View Post
=] we would do better here to find the vibe causing the shut down, got any logs we can look at?
Thanks for the offer Georgi! Don't have any latest logs. Actually, I still have 3.10 and log is turned off as advised by SK and have not updated to 3.15. Heli has been sitting for a while now because I am afraid to fly it without having SL to bail me out when I need. Don't want to risk crashing my Kasama. If I remember correctly, it is the high freq that indicated something in the tail and have not had much time to mess with it. When I do, I will sure seek your help! Supports from SK and this forum is stellar!!!
Old 12-03-2012, 04:11 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmyhelis View Post
Actually, it is quite the other way around. The new SK Gps is far more advanced in every sense than the HC3SX. I looked quite hard at this system myself and personally know guys using it. The fact that it works doesn't make it better though. Kind of like saying I can take my 92 Accord to the store to pick up some milk, or drive my M3 to the store. But for sure I will hit the twisties on the way with the latter of the two and loose a half inch of rubber on the way.
I don't mean to bash on Skookum since I have never used one and I know they are a quality company. But for my money, something that works better does make it better. I use my HC3SX units to fly a lot harder than I should because I know 100% that Captain Rescue will save me if I need it. I fly around in real life like a sim and have improved greatly since getting the units. If the Sk720 shuts its SL off randomly, that is a deal breaker in my book. I need to know it will work 100% of the time. Maybe the new Black edition will be better, as I would like to try one out.

Happy flying
SMOKEMASTER60 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 09:50 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Thanks for the offer Georgi! Don't have any latest logs. Actually, I still have 3.10 and log is turned off as advised by SK and have not updated to 3.15. Heli has been sitting for a while now because I am afraid to fly it without having SL to bail me out when I need. Don't want to risk crashing my Kasama. If I remember correctly, it is the high freq that indicated something in the tail and have not had much time to mess with it. When I do, I will sure seek your help! Supports from SK and this forum is stellar!!!
Shoot, my heli flew better on 3:10 than it did on 3:15. I wished they had a rollback honestly.

I haven't had the SL not work. Either on the beta test 3:08/9, the Vs 10 nor the 3:15. But the logging. I continued to get short sub 30 sec flight logs if I had more than one flight log stored. No tail problems either. Plus I battled two units that wouldn't fly out of setup mode. Meaning they stayed flying with slow servo movements. Maybe due to my non existent vibes? Not sure? But even then SL worked just fine. Unless by your post the heli is vibrating? Then just address that and fly with a grin! Especially if you still have 3:10 which I personally loved.

Really, when I looked at the HC systems. No logging? I cannot live without it in my pursuit of perfection. It would feel like flying in my undies. I do know they work as I have friends flying with them here at HF. It would be like me when I was wrenching for a living in my younger days. No diagnostic equipment? Unthinkable.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in