Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > RC Helicopter Flight School

RC Helicopter Flight School Instructional Flying Tips, Tricks, Videos, and Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2013, 01:56 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

This reminds me of an episode of Raising Hope, where Jimmy thinks he can regain the singing ability he had as a young boy by consuming lots of beer. At first they all think it's working but later when he goes to perform at a recital and totally bombs, they realize that Jimmy wasn't the only one drinking and it had altered their perception of how good he sounded.

That said, I do agree that it might temporarily reduce your inhibition and make muscle motor coordination more automatic as you are not over-thinking stuff, but it probably wouldn't help you to progress more quickly over the long term. I used to think that drinking made me a better dancer, but it was more a matter of it improving my mood and lowering my concern with looking foolish.
mcarter76 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2013, 03:06 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Drunken progress

Love that show! It makes me lmfao.
corrosionate is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 09:07 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I drink and sim all the time. Mind you not heavily drinking but a nice beer or three. As to the one fella who posted about the guy being crazy to fly after 1 or two beers, shoot. To be honest I would fly my 550 after a beer or two over an hour or so. I guess it depends on the person. If I can feel that I am at all inebriated I wont fly unless its just my nano. Its a safety thing, helis aren't something to mess around with when your reflexes are slowed down, a lot cant happen in 2 seconds. Two beers max for anything 550 size or less for me. I wouldn't drink anything and fly a 600 or 700..

Quote:
Regarding practising under influence of alcohol - it's useless, as simple as that. Gives illusions, nothing more. Waste of time (and alcohol) imo.
To what extent though? I mean, its obviously not helping if you are simming while you are wasted and seeing double, but I don't think a beer or two affects your minds temporary memory for storing and comprehending muscle movements.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:59 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

its more that alcohol dulls the reflexes - quite an important thing in piloting a very high speed rotating disk. small amounts might have little effect, but i doubt its gonna have a positive effect. like when driving a car, its best not to drink at all. saying that, with hints like the disappearing arctic ice, massive fu$% off storms etc, its probably best not to drive either.
neverland is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2013, 01:55 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

I prefer some northern lights pale ale before my sim time.
Skinny_j is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2013, 02:03 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: Drunken progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny_j View Post
I prefer some northern lights pale ale before my sim time.
I was thinking the same thing minus the "pale ale" part.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:41 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah i left it open to interpretation.
Skinny_j is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2013, 03:07 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hater's gonna hate.

I once made a graph of showing my aptitude for something or other vs how many beers I've had. I think it was writing or drawing related, but it was basically a slow vertical climb, then a spike, then a freefall. Sounds like the OP just hit the zone.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:58 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidDrink View Post
You have to be complete idiot to fly after a beer or two. At least is not as dangerous as driving, but still...
As for flying better on the sim while drunk.. as was said, lost of people believe they are better at many things while they are drunk, when in reality they are only getting better at making fools of themselves.
I must say that its great to see a young lad with strong opinions and the courage of their convictions. But as you are British I just wanted to remind you that the pubs and social clubs of Great Britain have produced vast numbers of ranked amateur ( and more than a few professionals) darts, snooker a pool players over the last few decades. A lot of those lads did not originally go to those venues to partake in games, they went to drink but somehow learned something on the way while drinking. The brain is far too complicated to make blanket statements.

Caveat: I do not condone the use of alcohol and please enjoy responsibly.
wab223 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2013, 05:17 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Drunken progress

I play pool badly sober, well after 2-3 beers and then it tapers off again as I drink more.
I should imagine it would be the same flying a heli.
Yes, reaction times will be affected but there is also that small window before inebriation where inhibitions are lowered and you don't over think things.
I'm not suggesting flying your helis whilst drunk but anyone who denounces the idea without truly thinking about it should actually investigate the processes behind it before decrying the idea.
Spektrum DX8
Inverse is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2013, 12:27 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Flying while drinking

This goes against AMA rules, if you are at a club flying. Me, personally, I want to fly the most after a couple of beers! But only in my back yard. I had to promise the Mrs. that I would not fly after drinking because I often crash. She got tired of the amount of money each crash would cost. Especially on the 600 size bird. Maybe if I had not had the 3rd beer I may have remembered to check the on board battery.... Impressive how deep in the ground the main rotor stuck! I had no idea a clutch could explode! $280 later Trex was back in the air! Drinking and flying cost me probably 3 times more than dumb thumbs and other reasons. Not to mention down time waiting for parts. Time I coulda been flying!
Crashkopter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2013, 06:22 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashkopter View Post
T I had to promise the Mrs. that I would not fly after drinking because I often crash. She got tired of the amount of money each crash would cost. Drinking and flying cost me probably 3 times more than dumb thumbs and other reasons.
Your wife sounds very astute. Both drinking and RC helis are amongst the more expensive hobbies. Practicing them at the same time should be reserved the domain of the rich and famous.
wab223 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2013, 12:09 AM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

CrashKopter you gave me a great laugh, thanks!
CalRotor is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in