Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > X5

X5 Discussion and support of the Gaui X5

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2014, 02:11 PM   #501 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Sorry to hear that. At least the damage wasn't too bad.

I see you have your skids "backwards". I'm thinking of trying mine that way, to see if it sits more level without the battery, and it might help slightly with keeping the tail out of the grass during takeoff/landing.

Sent using Tapatalk.
RedOctobyr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2014, 02:41 PM   #502 (permalink)
Registered Users

Finally ordered one!
jbobb1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2014, 08:28 AM   #503 (permalink)
Registered Users

I bought a new canopy
d12bn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2014, 10:27 AM   #504 (permalink)
Registered Users

Pretty cool!
C #773
Heli$ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2014, 02:09 PM   #505 (permalink)
Registered Users

Flew mnine for two packs at lunch. Ran home to recharge them to be able to go again after work

It's getting hard to fly in PA during the week. Gets dark early.
bgymr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2014, 02:21 PM   #506 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I hear you bgymr. NJ isn't any better Bought a bright new canopy/blades for fall/winter flying. Should stand out nicely against the sky. clubheli.com (or the physical store out by you) is having a going out of business sale ( ) @ 21% off. There's a couple more canopies for sale there if others are looking.
OnceYouGoJack is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2014, 07:59 PM   #507 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnceYouGoJack View Post
I hear you bgymr. NJ isn't any better Bought a bright new canopy/blades for fall/winter flying. Should stand out nicely against the sky. clubheli.com (or the physical store out by you) is having a going out of business sale ( ) @ 21% off. There's a couple more canopies for sale there if others are looking.
I wasn't planning on spending money right now but I saw this and took advantage of the price. I have the blue-green canopy which is awesome but not the best visibility in low light, it just becomes a silouette.

http://clubheli.com/fuc-gx5f05-fusun...ui-x5-formula/

Pantera P5 50 RNFBL, Blade 130X, mcpx, Gaui X5 FES
flyingquisinart is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2014, 08:21 PM   #508 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Same thoughts about the stock white one. I picked up http://www.fusuno.com/images/FUC-GX5F04.jpg from clubheli
Old 10-17-2014, 07:31 AM   #509 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah it's a bummer. Rick is a good friend. I will miss being able to buy x3 and x5 parts off the shelf.
bgymr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2014, 12:09 PM   #510 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtruk View Post
Any luck getting this fixed? I had the exact same issue with my X7. The person I bought it from had used red loctite, a lot of it, and the heads were stripped. Fortunately, they were socket heads and I was finally able to use a pair of needle nose channel locks to get them out with some heat applied under neath. You can pick up some screw extractors from Sears if you're able to drill into the head a bit and then try the extractor, but you'll still need to use a torch. I took out the main gear and heated mine from the bottom which made it much easier. It took me about a week to just get one screw out. Don't give up and good luck!
Guys, I tried again today with high heat on the iron, solder on the chisel tip, tapped the screws sharply with hammer and screwdriver, etc, and I just cannot get the durn screws out. So I went the crude route! I got a nail punch and a hammer, and gave sharp taps to one of the motor bolts exposed on each side of the frame. I aimed the punch horizontal and back so that it would slide the motor backwards and tighten the gear mesh. At first it seemed nothing was happening, then I could see the bolt slid slightly back in the slot of the CF frame. Will fly it and see if the mesh is better now. Feels like less backlash when playing with the gears by hand.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:16 PM   #511 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Doubled up the frame with a Fusuno G10 frame. Should be pretty indestructible when/if I have an accidental landing. Flew 4 packs afterwards and don't notice a difference in weight or anything. Plus the red/black pinstripes looks pretty sweet Excuse the mess/wires. I cleaned it up after taking that pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15172.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	545520  
Old 10-28-2014, 07:26 AM   #512 (permalink)
Registered Users

Man I just couldn't get my game on yesterday, I did fly, but I landed before the timer cause I just wasn't feeling it...

X5 sucky (1 min 59 sec)
Old 10-28-2014, 01:49 PM   #513 (permalink)
HF Support

Hey, that looked smoother than me on a GOOD day. Hehehe. Don't be so hard on yourself, it looked sweet to me.
Nelsonisms is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2014, 02:04 PM   #514 (permalink)
Registered Users

I wish my BEST day would look HALF as good as that!
jbobb1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2014, 03:48 PM   #515 (permalink)
Registered Users

Geesh, it looked fine to me, but I know the feeling even as a lowly beginner of feeling connected on good days, and way foreign on bad ones! For the latter, I don't push it and live to fly and fight another day. Same as you apparently did.
Old 12-06-2014, 12:06 PM   #516 (permalink)
Registered Users

Crashed today. Got carried away with a strong wind from my back, and got too far away, with trees in the background to boot. I hit throttle hold, then thought I'd save it, and released TH spooled up and tried to correct, but misread the orientation, and flop. The part I don't like is that it was a new canopy!

Old 12-26-2014, 03:37 PM   #517 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Auto Success!

After several days of fog, mist, and rain, we finally had a nice, sunny day. I put my old beat up "Monster" canopy on it (you know, if you put a new one on, crash odds go up exponentially).

I did my first high altitude autos today with my X5. I was getting into the groove of doing those recently with my Pantera 50, so I figured I'd give it a go. I always do baby autos when landing, but never tried a "real" one.

I did a couple from 100-125 fee or so up, and success! Although I did manage to find the one puddle in the field, plop! There is a definite difference between my 600 and this one. I think I've found the sweet spot on the 600 where I can hear the blades actually spinning up higher, but I don't think I've found it on the X5. I can keep the blades spinning fast enough, but no "woosh", and there is just enough RPM for a flare at the bottom, but not much extra energy. I did manage to auto toward me, then spin it around for a tail in landing in front of me, but it had a bit more forward speed than I realized--yikes! But I never bring it in "directly" at me, always about 20 feet to my right or left, for a bit of safety, so no reason to panic.

Old 12-26-2014, 05:52 PM   #518 (permalink)
Registered Users

Congrats!
No noise .. i mean it's just got to make the noise!? My 325mm blades make enough noise to hear when they're spinning up, though to be honest I think I've only done small autos with my X5 still, so it's just a presumption on my part. From what I can gather there's a whole bunch more lift to be had than one would think in the beginning. I reckon there's at least a few seconds of hang time to be had with the X5 on 520mm.
I know my full autos got better on the smaller machines by (1)fiddling with the free fall disk angle and (2)forward speed(increased) and (3)making sure I get as much spin up as i can in the flair BEFORE GOING NEAR the collective stick, and (4)getting more of a feel for the falling speed to get the flare timed just right. I really don't mean to sound condescending, I bet you already knew all of this before trying, but just wanted to share a bit in case it helps at all
Old 12-26-2014, 05:59 PM   #519 (permalink)
Registered Users

just found these two short auto clips First is an inverted with loads of hang time. Second is a too early collective pitch auto.
Gaui x5 inverted auto by Oni (0 min 13 sec)

Gaui X5 Auto landing (0 min 14 sec)
Old 12-27-2014, 10:51 AM   #520 (permalink)
Registered Users

Not condescending at all! I sort of know OF the pieces that make a good auto but certainly don't know the intricacies. Honesty my auto's were just cut the thottle and get it down quick, until I could start to get the feedback from the heli by listening to the blades. I also didn't have much forward speed. That's a little scary, but I can ease into that.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Forum Fiend v1.3.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in