Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Aerial Videography and Photography

Aerial Videography and Photography Aerial Video/Photo from R/C Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2009, 09:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default how big of heli would I need

hey guys I thought this would be a good place to post this. but I was wondering how big of heli i would need so that i could put a video camera on the bottom of it and do some air shots and maybe some vids. also what would I need to be able to put the camera on to the heli. please let me know which heli would work best for this. thanks.
iceman320 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2009, 10:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman320 View Post
how big of heli i would need so that i could put a video camera on the bottom of it and do some air shots and maybe some vids.
A 250-sized heli lifts a FlyComeOne easily! You can attach it with velcro strips.

(In other words: please be more spesific on camera model and weight for starters)
Trnquill is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2009, 12:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

What do you want to do with the video?
SeismicCWave is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2009, 01:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

well I have been thinking about putting a camera on one of my helicopters and then maybe trying to see if I would be able to like hover over accidents for the police or the highway patrol in my area. and I just wanted to know how much weight a t-rex 450, 500 and 600 would lift, and what type of mounting system i would have to build to put the camera on the bottom of the heli.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi. I believe for a handycam style videocamera like Panasonic SD9 , that kind of size, a 600 and meybe a 450 could lift it.

For a camera like Panasonic HVX200 you will need a bird with at least 80cm blades...!

I believe an 600 with maybe photoshipone mount and a small HD camera could give you good results.

But if you are going for more professional style and maybe a bit more secure, i would suggest a you take a look at DJI XP3.1 Autopilot .Its all up to you, your budget and where you want to fly...
Old 10-27-2009, 06:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

well my handy cam that I have is the dcr-sx40. but I don't think that it would work very good for this because the flip screen has to be open in order for the camera to be on so I might have to look into a different camera maybe. but it might work okay depending on how I mount it under the heli. would a 600 class heli lift it?
Old 10-27-2009, 07:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

This has been the same answer for this question

Blade Size (mm) - Helicopters - Max SAFE Lifting Capability (g,oz,lb) - Notes
315mm - T-Rex 450 - 450g, 15.87oz, 1lb - keep the total flying weight under 2.2lb
500mm - Logo 10 - 1360g, 48oz, 3lb - keep total flying weight under 9lb
550mm - 30 Size, Century Swift, Logo 14 - 1587g, 56oz, 3.5lb - keep total flying weight under 10lb
600mm - T-Rex 600, 50 size Helicopter, Logo 20/24 - 1815g, 64oz, 4lb -keep total flying under 11 lb
720mm - Gasser, Joker - 6800g, 240oz, 15lb -
800mm - Gasser, Maxi Joker - 9071g, 320oz, 20lb -
810mm - Gasser - 11300g, 400oz, 25lb -

not sure if they have changed it but I doubt

EDIT (not my one but from another forum)
jffry7 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2009, 08:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

jeffry7, thanks for the chart do you know how they calculate how much each heli will lift? but the chart has helped out a lot, so I will have to see how much my handycam weighs and then figure out how I could build a mounting bracket to mount the camera up under the heli. thanks for all your help guys it was great.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:58 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I believe an 600 will lift your small camera just fine.

I have seen some videos with 500 also from such cameras. I would prefer the 600.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:39 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

ok thanks for the help now to decide on a heli it will depend on which one will fit in the trunk of my car the best I guess. so i will look up the specs for the trex 500 and 600 and see which one would fit the best. and I might also try one of those helicams thta xheli is selling first to just to see how good the video quality is. thnaks for the help guys it's been great.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in