Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 550X

Blade 550X Blade 550X Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2014, 05:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Should I get a 550x?

I don't really feel like I'm ready for a 550 yet. Still flying a trex 450 pro. It seems like the closeout prices are stupid low for a kit of this size. I almost feel like I should snap one up while I still can and build it when I get time.

How does the 550x compare to compass, gaui, align etc? I swore off blade after I built my trex but this seems like a different animal. The cheapskate in me thinks this might be a good way to get into a bigger heli.

Also what all would I need if I bought the complete kit? I already have tools and a dx9 and a 308 duo charger. I'm assuming just a couple of batteries and some canopy posts?

Thanks for the advise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2014, 05:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

It is a good kit for the price. Its quality is on par with align and it flies very well. I upgraded the motor and the bec on mine. It is a monster now with the scorpion 4025-1100kv motor and the lnyx main gear. I flew mine for a while stock but wanted more power after a bit. Blade is warrantied so if you do get a bad part in your kit they will replace it unlike some companies. If you can fly your 450 confidently then a 550 is a great next choice. A 500 feels like a big 450 but a 550 feels like a 600 and flies almost like one. They auto for days compared to a 500.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

It is a great bird.You can't beat the price and Horizon support.
Nytro97 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2014, 07:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I went from a 450X to the 550X complete Combo kit. I'm flying all stock (except for LYNX canopy mounts) and love it. I'm seriously thinking about getting another for the crazy low price. I still like my 450s, but this 550 is MUCH more stable and is a Beast.
Rotarywing is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2014, 08:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's not quite confirmed yet, but there's a lot flying around (no pun intended) about the 550X being discontinued with these massive price drops lately. That's Horizon's MO for discontinuing stuff. Who knows how much parts compatibility there will be with the new version IF they even replace it. Hopefully, there will be a lot of parts commonality was there was with the 300X to 300CFX update. However, they schwacked the 500 3D and 500X with no replacement in sight. Something to think about for someone just wanting to get into a 550X. Still a great heli, though.
jadewarrior is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2014, 12:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadewarrior View Post
It's not quite confirmed yet, but there's a lot flying around (no pun intended) about the 550X being discontinued with these massive price drops lately. That's Horizon's MO for discontinuing stuff. Who knows how much parts compatibility there will be with the new version IF they even replace it. Hopefully, there will be a lot of parts commonality was there was with the 300X to 300CFX update. However, they schwacked the 500 3D and 500X with no replacement in sight. Something to think about for someone just wanting to get into a 550X. Still a great heli, though.
I'm sure that's what's happening with the price drop, but you'll still be able to get parts. They will come out with something new and improved, but I really don't care if I'm a year behind the times. this is why i have a Trex450dfc and not a dominator..lol

so the spektrum servo's are ok? I just wouldn't want to get into something that needs a ton of upgrades.
Old 08-02-2014, 01:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

There the same as Align servos which are just rebranded savox servos so they are plenty good.
Old 08-02-2014, 01:17 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadewarrior View Post
The only thing you really need to worry about is if you buy their currently discounted price that there isn't another discount in the near future.

Parts will be available, they make a lot more money selling individually bagged parts.
xenophobe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2014, 04:06 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

The Blade 550X at the discounted prices is great value imho.

Sure it's not the most sophisticated bird out there...but you pay a lot more for the shiny features that don't fly any better ....unless you are a top notch pilot.

Whether the rumours of a new version are correct or not ..I am confident Blade parts will be available for a reasonable period of time.

Just pull the trigger and enjoy!!
Don't fool yourself
...if your are trolling this thread ...you are 80% there already!!! lol.

Phil.
Old 08-02-2014, 05:26 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Phil is right! I too went from a T-Rex 450 to my Blade 550X. It is a much bigger heli, and WAY more stable. Now my 450 collects dust. Since building my 550X, I have only flown it once.
Do yourself a favor and pull the trigger
Old 08-02-2014, 08:42 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Are blade's part prices higher than others? I was looking through the part listing and they seem to be very proud of some of this stuff. Would a little bit of money saved now turn into more money later?
Old 08-02-2014, 09:27 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

In my opinion you never want to buy any new model when it first comes out. The price is always higher and there are usually bugs that need to be worked out.(cars,tractors,whatever) In this RC helicopter world all the manufactures are constantly changing with new models and discontinuing the old.
Now the 550X in my opinion has one problem and it is the cheap canopy posts,and that was a easy fix. I don't understand how Blade did such a great job with this machine and then put those posts with it.
You can't beat the price of the Castle combo, I know Horizon will have parts for years to come (they have had for other models)plus if and when you are ready for a change the electronics can be moved to what what you get.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:48 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFRLuke View Post
Are blade's part prices higher than others? I was looking through the part listing and they seem to be very proud of some of this stuff. Would a little bit of money saved now turn into more money later?

Good Point VFRLuke, and it depends on what part of the world you live..imho

Parts, availabilty at a local shop ...yes/no ...sometimes handy for that "I need it now' purchase.
With online competition, there are many places moving the Blade parts inventory, it is always $$ in your pocket to shop the webs ...but then postage can eat that great value bargain!!
......not so much of a concern for you US folk
.....more so for us 'over the horizon'. ..way over!!

Blade and Align are heavily in the similar market niches .....and I think Align has become more competitive ...at least in my part of the world. A lot of the guys in my club fly Align Helis and some of their parts seem way cheaper than the Blade equivalent .....but then sometimes the quality varies ..but that cuts both ways too.

Tuff call. (without siting down and doing price checks on parts)

Do your homework and see what suits you the best.

Phil.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:31 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

The 550L muddys the water quite a bit too... it's more expensive initially but I like the look of it.

The quality of blade vs align in a 450 size is a no brainer, but I'm not sure with the pro series.
Old 08-06-2014, 03:04 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

the 450x is a toy... a upgraded 400/4503d.

the 550/600x was designed from scratch to compete with brands like Align. It's no Goblin, but if you are in the market for such a machine, you wouldn't be considering an Align or Blade either

imo Blade's only mistake in the 550/600/700x was to still call it a "blade". Horizon Hobby should have created a new brand for these pro birds. they are that different. they are that good.

pull the trigger man, 550/600x is awesome.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:16 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think I decided last night that I'm going to pull the trigger. I even told my wife it was happening.

If I buy the combo, is there anything else needed for the build besides canopy mounts? I already have a nice charger setup and I intend to purchase a couple of the 45C 5000mah glaciers.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:51 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

I bought some 5.5mm Castle bullet connectors for the motor and ESC connection, a 3" servo extension cable and a EC2 connector for the BEC. Oh yes and EC5 connectors for the BEC to battery. I believe the Glaciers have the EC5 on them so you will need to get on for your Castle.

Tom
Old 08-06-2014, 12:40 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Congrats dude!!!! (Cheering) so excited for you!
Old 08-06-2014, 04:03 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ordered it today. I didn't order any other stuff because I wasn't 100% sure what I would be needing. I'm not in a super big hurry to build it, and I don't want to buy stuff that I may not need. Every unboxing I looked at wasn't the combo.

I told my wife that I would clean out our office a little bit and expand our guinea pig cage before starting on this build
Old 08-06-2014, 08:14 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice! The guinea pigs come first but don't dwell too long before building!

I personally like to start right away.. But in any build you're gonna come to points in the build where you may need a better tool or part.. So there is always down time during a build while you wait for parts. That's when you can work on the stuff your wife needs done

You will always need some extra things like ec5 plugs (I swear I had enough but it always ends up I need one more) I'm a perfectionist, so if the solder isn't 100% I start it again. Heat shrink! Man it comes in so many colors and thicknesses..

Something I needed from day one was "triflow" - I used it instead of the supplied grease.

Never rush the build.. And if you aren't 100% happy with something you put together... Do it again. (Especially thread lock)

Have fun man! Happy for a new 550x pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFRLuke View Post
Ordered it today. I didn't order any other stuff because I wasn't 100% sure what I would be needing. I'm not in a super big hurry to build it, and I don't want to buy stuff that I may not need. Every unboxing I looked at wasn't the combo.

I told my wife that I would clean out our office a little bit and expand our guinea pig cage before starting on this build

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in