Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Night Flying

Night Flying Night Flying Helis Info

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2014, 06:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default How to calculate resistor value.

Ok, so maybe I'm making this more complicated than it needs to be, but I want to build some blades and do it right.
I'm a little confused about how I should be calculating the resistor value(s). I have played around with the online LED resistor calculators, I have read many of the threads on this forum but I still have questions. I have asked individuals and they have been very helpful, so thanks to all! But here goes

1. Since I am using Lipo do I use 4.2 V or 3.7 V? Maybe somewhere in between? (I think I know the answer to this.)

2. Many bulbs (0805 smd) are rated at 30 mA but tested at 20 mA, what current should I do my calculations at?

3. Many bulbs have a range of forward voltages, do I use the high value or the low value?

4. It seems that green tends to be significantly brighter than other colors. Should I use a larger resistor to dim it down?

5. It seems most calculators recommend 1/8 - 1/4 Watt resistors. Does it really matter?

I understand the math, it's just the application I am unsure about.
I have noticed post where people say use this resistor for these colors etc.
I want to understand WHY I am using the values that I plug into my equations.

Example: I have done the calculations for amber Led at various voltages and currents and get several resistor values.
Forward voltage Vf = 1.8 - 2.6
Forward current IF = 20 - 30 mA
Source voltage Vs = 3.7 - 4.2 V

Resistor calculation ranges from 68 - 150 Ohms

Sent using Otto correct.
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2014, 07:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just orderd all my stuff today for my first night rig
well this is what i came up with ur values, i would emagine this resistor is for the one led :
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	80
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	479224  
Old 01-14-2014, 07:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location
Default How to calculate resistor value.

Thanks! It seems that you are using the higher value for forward voltage and 4.2 V for source.

Sent using Otto correct.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

i have read you can use 4.1 would probbably make sense cause there will be a quick voltage drop under load and then drop slowly as lipo depletes .
Old 01-15-2014, 12:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

i use this
http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-ohm.htm
Old 01-29-2014, 03:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would calculate resistor using typical LED values and 3.8 V for your battery, check that I_f,max will still be less than 30 mA with 4.2 V and typical forward voltage and you should be safe. i.e.
R = (V_batt,typ - V_f,typ) / I_f,typ
V_batt,typ ~ 3.8 V, V_f,typ depends on colour, I_f,typ ~ 20 mA
and to check:
I_f,max = (V_batt,max - V_f,typ) / R < 30 mA
Old 02-15-2014, 10:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Some of them are tested to 5V, so be sure to look up your data sheets per the manufacturer. While I haven't experimented with more than a couple brands, they definitely vary a lot and shouldn't be used user a blanket color/voltage/current principle (although they do tend to be within similar limits). Some can take as high as 120mA and not really seem affected. Others fried on me in less than 80mA. Just pay attention to your forward bias voltage and work your way up from there. If you are doing a one and done calculation I'd go with 3.9V as a constant and pick out a resistance based on how much current you want. You won't be able to see the difference unless you can actively change the voltage, plus it'll look a lot better once you get them into the dark (especially the reds and oranges).
skunkworx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in