Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Other Makes and Models Helicopters

Other Makes and Models Helicopters Other makes and model Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2012, 03:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Storm 450 after crash probs

Had a pretty good crash and replaced the tail pitch slider, belt, blades and on the rotor head the blades ball link arms and shaft and main gears. Everything looks great but when spooling up the tail will not hold. Like its not spinning fast enough. Tail slider has good movement each way it just won't hold. The heli just spins in circles Any suggestions.

Thanks
Dustin
Motorhead364 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2012, 03:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ok, I took the main gears out and checked the one way bearing. It's fine, new belt for the tail, not slipping, new tail blades and I reassembled the tail pitch slider per instructions.

When spooling up the heli spins counter clockwise. I try to counteract with rudder but at full right rudder it will barely hold at about 20% throttle. Anymore than that it is out of control.
Motorhead364 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2012, 02:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

the gear on the tail pulley shaft could be slipping did you check that?
SMJT is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2012, 09:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Motorhead, I'm having exactly the same issue with my Storm 450. During throttle up it begins spinning counter-clockwise and even full right rudder can't hold it. Did you find a resolution for this?
Dex Olson is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2012, 11:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've seen this problem before and it was related to pitch and throttle, more specifically too much pitch for a given throttle, so the tail rotor spins too slow to counter the already high torque of the mains.

Most probably during the rebuild the main rotor links became out of measure, unwittingly adding some pitch to the mains. I'd check again all link lengths as well as the mains pitch with a gauge. Even a slight deviation (~5 degs) can play havoc with your heli.

Cheers!

Not flying anything - model or full - since 2017!
ARM_Coder is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2012, 12:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Might solve it!

Motorhead364, I found the solution to the same problem you were/are having. For some reason the ROCK-5 Gyro that came on my Storm 450 apparently quit working. The servo would operate the tail fine when connected directly to the receiver but when I put the Gyro in the path, I had no tail servo. I ordered a new one from Helipal and after installing it I found I had the same issue you described. Full right rudder would barely hold it until I gave it the slightest left and then it was off to the races in counter-clockwise rotation. I tried everything, as you did, until I ran into a guy from Korea down at the field where I go to (try to) fly. He listened to my tale of woe and then said simply: "reverse your gyro!!". I flipped the little dip switch on the right face of the gyro to rev. and it took off and flew like a dream. Obviously, if it drifted to the left as it normally would because of the rotors turning right, the gyro would try to correct it but since it was operating in reverse, it corrected it in the wrong direction and compounded the issue.
I couldn't believe it. I checked the old Gyro and that was in the normal position. I don't understand why the new one would operate differently but the problem was solved. I got so excited when it actually took off under control that I lost my head and flew it into my brothers pickup. Nuther flybar, set of fibreglass rotors, feathering shaft, main shaft, one servo horn, and one linkage rod ball connector. But..... now I know it flies!!!!
Hope this helps.
Dex Olson is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2012, 02:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default gyro rock 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex Olson View Post
Motorhead364, I found the solution to the same problem you were/are having. For some reason the ROCK-5 Gyro that came on my Storm 450 apparently quit working. The servo would operate the tail fine when connected directly to the receiver but when I put the Gyro in the path, I had no tail servo. I ordered a new one from Helipal and after installing it I found I had the same issue you described. Full right rudder would barely hold it until I gave it the slightest left and then it was off to the races in counter-clockwise rotation. I tried everything, as you did, until I ran into a guy from Korea down at the field where I go to (try to) fly. He listened to my tale of woe and then said simply: "reverse your gyro!!". I flipped the little dip switch on the right face of the gyro to rev. and it took off and flew like a dream. Obviously, if it drifted to the left as it normally would because of the rotors turning right, the gyro would try to correct it but since it was operating in reverse, it corrected it in the wrong direction and compounded the issue.
I couldn't believe it. I checked the old Gyro and that was in the normal position. I don't understand why the new one would operate differently but the problem was solved. I got so excited when it actually took off under control that I lost my head and flew it into my brothers pickup. Nuther flybar, set of fibreglass rotors, feathering shaft, main shaft, one servo horn, and one linkage rod ball connector. But..... now I know it flies!!!!
Hope this helps.
Hi I recommend you change the gyro for the better
long wing will give you health
regards
jac_2011 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in