Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > RC Helicopter Flight School

RC Helicopter Flight School Instructional Flying Tips, Tricks, Videos, and Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2010, 07:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Holding tic-toc stationary?

I have been practicing tic-tocs for a while now and have the elevator down pat except it always seems to creap left on me. How do you get it to stay in one spot? I am guessing that you alternate aileron depending on whether you are applying pos/neg collective, but that will take a little while to master and I would like to know if that is the secret before I start.

Thanks,
Brian
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2010, 01:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastone93 View Post
I have been practicing tic-tocs for a while now and have the elevator down pat except it always seems to creap left on me. How do you get it to stay in one spot? I am guessing that you alternate aileron depending on whether you are applying pos/neg collective, but that will take a little while to master and I would like to know if that is the secret before I start.

Thanks,
Brian
my guess is that your thumb is making it creap left on you. its easy to give it just a little input you did not need to and not realize you did when baning sticks around with something like a tic toc..

Blade 180 CFX, Sold the rest of my stuff, I dont really fly all that often any more.
dannylightning is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2010, 01:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

In a tic-toc, you move the heli left-right with the tail. If you are doing tail down elevator tic-tocs with the rotor facing you, and the tail points a little bit to the left the heli will move right, if the tail points to the right, the heli will move left.
Ironizer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2010, 01:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Can always add more expo to help yourself out
Fusion 50 9080/9088 Beast X
Velocity 50n 9080/9088 VbarSAB Goblin 9180/9188 Kontronik helijive Coming soon
AnTi Taco is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2010, 04:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

I have noticed that for some reason the tail does rotate to the right during most of my tic-tocs which would go along with your explanation. I will try controlling the tail better and see how it goes.

Thanks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironizer View Post
In a tic-toc, you move the heli left-right with the tail. If you are doing tail down elevator tic-tocs with the rotor facing you, and the tail points a little bit to the left the heli will move right, if the tail points to the right, the heli will move left.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

by creap left to you mean the heli drifts to the left, or it is rotating to the left?

Drift is controlled with rudder. When doing tic tocs with the skids away (the top of the blade disc towards you) left rudder will drift the heli to the left, right will drift it to the right.

However if your problem is the heli is rotating (which it will) then you will need to use aileron to help correct that. With a tail down tic toc aileron inputs are pretty intuitive so you just need to correct what you need. Trick is doing all that stuff in the middle of doing the tic tocs

Just keep working on it. It does take a long time to get tic tocs well controlled ad stationary, and don't forget to practice all 4 points (tail down, nose left/right, and nose down).

If you are good at all 4 points practice the diagonals when the nose it pointing at 45 degrees from all 4 points. If you want a new challenge try tic tocs with the skids towards you (rudder, elevator, and collective will be reversed from what you are used to).
RĒzĒ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2010, 08:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

well I have practiced on the sim like a mad man and flown my 600 too, and I am happy to say that my elev. tictocs are looking pretty good. I can now walk it left or right (depending on wind intensity) and hold a steady altitude. I was confident enough to get it down to about a ten feet on Sunday. I am stoked.............
Old 12-03-2010, 07:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am a new pilot and have been using the realflight simulator to practice. Everytime I try a tic toc, the heli always loses altitude and/or rotates left. The rotation I am learning to correct while in a tic tic but I still don't know why I lose altitude. Advice?
Jomaba4308 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2010, 10:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Try to do the tic-tocs slower, and pause for a moment on each end of the tic-toc, keeping the heli stationary. Do this by doing longer arcs, you can do as much as 180 degrees, basically a half flip. As you get better controlling it, you can start to speed up, and do shorter arcs.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I will try that next time on the sim, but what is it that causes the loss in altitude so I know what to correct for?
Jomaba4308 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2010, 02:44 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Probably your collective/cyclic timing is off at the end points of the tic-toc which means that you don't give enough angle (angle of the heli itself, relative to the ground) and/or collective to push the heli up. That's why I suggested pausing for a bit, so you can concentrate on keeping the altitude of the heli. You have to catch the heli with collective, then propel it the other way, and also upwards a bit, as it follows an arc, that's what keeps it from descending.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:31 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Check out the SmackTalk Video episode 10 Bert will show you how to do it correctly and you will see what you are doing wrong.
rcer04 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2010, 10:23 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ironizer's got it, right. Gotta learn one tick at a time. FLIP > STOP > STABILIZE > FLIP. Whether it takes 0.5 seconds or 5 seconds, you gotta be patient and learn this. It take's a lot of practice. Tic-Toc's done right, is not powered by a "FINGER SPASM". It is actually, two half flips in succession. As you get better, it will almost look like one action. Avoid what most sportsflyer's end up doing, which i call a SLIP / SLAP. it's ugly and the telltale sign is a loss of altitude, and worse yet you will crash. Stay safe keep simmin.
slamdance is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 04:07 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thumbs up

I've been having this same problem. Thanks a lot guys
TheHitman82 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 11:13 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

How important is it to add expo? Does adding expo help you perform tic-tocs or is it personal preference?
Mcpx BL2
profilefan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 01:25 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Adding expo can help as the sticks will be less sensative around center. i like to use a little expo, but expo is all personal preferance. Set it where it works best for you

Sent from tapatalk. spelling will probably be worse than usual

Blade 180 CFX, Sold the rest of my stuff, I dont really fly all that often any more.
dannylightning is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 01:50 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Practice giving slight rudder inputs While performing your tick tocks on the sim, only way to keep them in place or get the heli to go where you want it to during the maneuver.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Trex 500 ESP(DFC) Ikon, Radix] [Goblin 700 CompBK, 4525, Ikon, Helix 695 ] [Rave ENV Nitro O.S 105-R,Ikon,Cyclone] Rave ENV Electric]Scorpion 4525,Ikon, Outrage, SAB [Goblin 500] Ikon Rails 516 ]Blade 180 CFX]Goblin 570 12S Xnova
Blade120 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in