Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Other Makes and Models Helicopters

Other Makes and Models Helicopters Other makes and model Helicopters

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2013, 09:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Acrobat Voodoo 400 build thread

This will be a build thread for the Acrobat Voodoo 400.

The Voodoo 400 is actually closer to a true 500 size heli in that it swings 470mm blades. Or in my case EDGE 473mm blades. However, compared to other 500 size helis it's very light. What surprised me the most was the recommended motor. A kontronik pyro 400-14 running on 4s power. Initially I thought this heli would be greatly under powered. However, now that I've started the build I can see why this heli will fly well on 4s power......light. I have to strap it down to keep it from floating away The main frames are not that much longer than my mini protos frames.

Recommended setup for this heli is as follows:
Savox 1250 mini servos for cyclic
Futaba BLS 251 tail
Pryo 400-14 mtor
Kontronik Koby ESC

My setup is basically the above, but I'm using Futaba mini servos and a YGE esc. I will be using a SK540 for the FBL controller. The gyro plate is quite small and the SK540 fits nicely.

This heli can handle a huge range of head speeds. Seems to be very indicative of German helis. My Diabolo is the same. Happy at low head speeds as well as 2000+.

The Voodoo line is seen little outside of Germany. This is primarily due to the manufacturer only ships within Germany. If you live outside of Germany this obviously presents some challenges. You either need to know someone in Germany, work in Germany, etc. Or you can use a logistics company. This was the option I was exploring when I learned of another. Basically the logistics company acts as your agent. They provide to you a German name and address that the helicopter gets shipped to (in Germany). The logistics company then forwards you the shipment.

This has a few drawbacks. 1) you have to pay the VAT since the helicopter is technically shipped in Germany. 2) You have to pay shipping and forwarding costs.

Another option (which I learned from rdavis..thank you) is that World of Heli will ship Voodoo helis. Their website doesn't list the Voodoo helis, but if you contact them they will get you a Voodoo.Jens Friedrich
at World of Heli is very, very helpful. I ordered my Voodoo 400 and spare parts from World of Heli. Shipping is fast and reasonable, and best part.....no VAT.

One challenge with the build is the manual is only available in German. I converted the .pdf file to text (to eliminate the pictures). This allowed my to copy and paste the entire manual into google translate. I only did one pass and some of the manual didn't translate fully. However, enough of it did and you can make out the words that didn't just based on the wording around it.

I used my translated manual and the german manual (for pictures). Between the two the build has gone very well so far.

Last edited by ChadL; 07-08-2013 at 02:54 PM..
ChadL is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2013, 10:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Now that the stuff above is out of the way......onto the build. I forgot to mention in the first post that this heli uses small socket head cap screws. The vast majority are either 2mm or 2.5mm. You must use a good wrench or you will strip out the socket head. I'm using MIP Thorp wrenches.

First off. Mounting the elevator, and aileron servo brackets

The frame sides are identical

Once mounted this frame side effectively becomes the left side. This is an inside pic of the left frame side. Don't tighten the socket screws just yet. We'll do that later after the elevator servo is mounted.

Mounting the aileron brackets. Note the orientation of the elevator mount backets on the left frame side.

Next up....boom mounts and gyro plate.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Next we mount the boom mounts and gyro plate.

There is no discernible difference in the two mounts.

Initially you will only fasten one screw. The holes in the bottom of the bracket are through holes for longer screw which will use a lock nut to secure.

Gyro plate mounted....really straight forward build so far. Note the orientation of the slots in the boom mount brackets.

Next up.......drive train.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

The top and bottom bearing mounts are identical. The only item to be cognizant of is the orientation. For the bottom bearing bracket the bearings must face up as shown.

Next we assemble the main gear. The delrin main does have a specific orientation for hub to be mounted. Note the cut outs in the main gear. The hub will sit in those cut outs.

Use a criss cross pattern when tightening to ensure even load. Don't tighten too much as you can warp the delrin.

Clip came pre-installed

Intermediate shaft initially installed. I didn't take a picture, but note the brass sleeve between the drive wheel and bearing block. This was one of the areas where the translated manual didn't make much sense. In the translation it stated "The freewheel previously provided with some fat"

Feed the belt through the boom brackets and around the tail drive pulley.

Next we install the main shaft and main gear.

Top bearing block is installed. Note the orientation...bearings down.

This next step is a critical step. You must set the slack in the main pulley (motor driven pulley)

The proper setup will have about .1mm of movement in the main drive pulley while the tail drive pulley and main gear pinion have no movement.

What I like to do in these instances is measure .1mm on my calipers to give me a visual reference as to what .1mm of movement should look like.

Next...motor mount.

Last edited by ChadL; 07-03-2013 at 11:51 AM..
Old 07-03-2013, 10:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm using the recommended pyro 400-14 motor. The motor mount has a specific orientation. The slot faces down which allows access to the pinion set screw. You'll also want to pay attention to the orientation of the motor wires. You want them orientated to the right side as that's where the esc is mounted.

12mm between the motor mount and the pinion as pictured.

Mounted in the frame...use the supplied washers to help distribute the load over a greater area. Should help reduce the instance of stress cracks.

Screws are only snug. Will set belt tension once right side is mounted.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Landing struts. The landing struts and "pipes" are carbon fiber. The struts that go from the frame to the skids are different. There are a front and back strut.

Front strut is on the bottom of the pic..rear strut is on the top. This gives the Voodoo a forward leaning stance.

The boom struts mount to the skids with a 3mm socket screw and lock nut. Keep in mind you need to make a left and right set. Hence the different screw and lock nut orientations in the picture below.

The bottom frames are similar to the main frames in that they're the same.

Battery o-ring brackets installed.

The brackets that mound the landing struts to the bottom frame are the same. However, once you mount the lug as pictured that bracket now becomes the front bracket.

Struts mounted to the lower frames.

Next...mounting the lower frame assembly to the main frame assembly.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:56 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mount the right main frame and secure with the supplied hardware. Also set the motor drive belt tension. Manual calls for 5mm of movement under finger pressure.

You will also need to cut the supplied silicone to fit over the spacers.

The two frame assemblies are connected by six socket head screws and six spacers. The manuals calls to start with one side as shown.

What I found is it was much easier to mount one spacer at a time. Trying to keep all 3 in their proper orientation was a pain. I ran the screws through the holes to hold the frame assemblies in place while I secured the spacers....much easier.

All mounted.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:59 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

That's as far as I've gotten. I'll keep posting my progress. I can tell you this heli is very, very light. The quality of the parts is OUTSTANDING. Very very well designed and made heli.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Chad.... Nicely done so far.

It looks like a super high quality build for sure. I know its off topic, so some may not appreciate it, but I bet the gents in the TDR and Diabolo forum would like to see this too. I say post the link and if someone wants to get pissy you can always remove it.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Good idea......link posted.....if I get any grief in the Diabolo forum I'll just create an off topic thread similar to the TDR forum.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:07 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Great thread, now tell us how you got one outside of Germany or Europe? Looks like a small Diabolo.
Old hand at Planks
Peter
Vinger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2013, 05:59 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadL View Post
Good idea......link posted.....if I get any grief in the Diabolo forum I'll just create an off topic thread similar to the TDR forum.
Thanks for cross posting this!

I drooled when I saw the VooDoo 600 build thread a little while back and this is also a really nice looking heli.

World of Heli stocks the 400 on their website, unlike the 600 which I was recently told they will no longer get you if you want one.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:38 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

You can also get Voodoo 400 kits and spares from us. Stefan, the manufacturer, is a good and old friend of me, but does not like the customs work for overseas. So we will do it for him and if anyone is interested on a kit or need parts he can send us an e-mail what he needs (numbers AND terms please to avoid failures) and we organize that.
MHN777 likes this.

Last edited by Gerd; 07-10-2013 at 02:30 AM..
Gerd is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2013, 07:45 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Gerd.... Very nice to know. People like the 400 kit and this may help more people in the US make the decision to buy.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:20 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Continuing on.....I have to say this build has been very straight forward. Even with the partially translated manual I've been able to assemble this heli with no issues. Very logical design makes the build straight forward.

Also, I want to make a quick correction to one of the pics of above. The correction is in regards to the canopy mount location. The canopy mount is in the wrong location.

Old 07-11-2013, 07:23 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Boom and tail case.

The tail case is prevented from rotating by use of a socket head screw and lock nut. First, you must drill out the hole for the socket screw. It's a through hole in the tale case (not threaded) so you don't need to be concerned about hitting the threads with the drill bit.

There are no orientation lugs or slots to get the tail square to the frame....you'll need to square the tail in relation to the frame prior to tightening the boom clamp screws.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:26 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

I skipped taking a couple of pictures....sorry. In the picture the belt has been fed through the boom, tail fin attached, and tail belt pulley installed. Note the different locations of the slots on the output tail shaft. The slot that is "closer" to the end is the slot that the tail rotor assembly will fit over. The picture shows the proper orientation.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:30 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

The tail slider comes pre-assembled. Slide it onto the output shaft and secure the tail grips the slider.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:35 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

The voodoo only uses one boom support strut. I like to assemble boom struts on the heli. This way the lugs can orientate themselves correctly while the epoxy cures. The manual calls for using either CA glue or 5 minute epoxy. I was a bit surprised by this. I only had 2 ton on hand so that's what I used. The socket cap screw is secured with a lock nut.

Last edited by ChadL; 07-12-2013 at 08:47 AM..
Old 07-11-2013, 07:37 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Next up.....swash plate links.

The voodoo's plastic links have a flat top. This makes measuring the length quite simple.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in