Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2012, 01:14 PM   #1121 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Trex 500E Pro

is there any build Videos of the new trex 500E Pro

I'm am new to the bigger heli i started with an old trex 450Se
Josh S is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2012, 02:21 PM   #1122 (permalink)
HF Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh S View Post
what is the best tail servo to use that will fit in the frame without mods
Mini-size is what you want to be looking for if you want it to fit in the frame. Popular choices: Futaba S9257 (there is also a BLS variant called the BLS257), JR 3500G, Align DS520, etc.
Quote:
do i need a receiver with a sat or can i just use one like in the blade 400
If you are going to be getting the combo with the 3GX (FBL) or the GP900 (FB), then you can use just satellites. I'd recommend two for best results.
Quote:
is there any build Videos of the new trex 500E Pro

I'm am new to the bigger heli i started with an old trex 450Se
The 500E Pro is really pretty similar to the older 500 in terms of building ... just follow the directions and post here or in the 500 Pro section if you have questions
ChrisH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2012, 06:09 AM   #1123 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Trex 500e Pro Build

I just got my 5245 cyclic servo and stock esc and motor I order the gyro 520 and 9257 tail servo but what receiver should i get I am using a dx6i Radio
Old 02-01-2012, 06:24 PM   #1124 (permalink)
HF Support

Any full-range Spektrum 6-channel ... AR6210 would be a good choice.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:44 AM   #1125 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
do i need a receiver with a sat or can i just use one like in the blade 400
Doesn't matter what you use as long as its 6 channels or more tx/rx. Some have better ranges then others.
ddj74 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2012, 05:52 AM   #1126 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Servo arms for the 5245

the direction show 21mm from center the long arm i can find put in at 19.5mm and they don't fit in the frame so i think i am going to have to file the frame opening to put in the 5245 servo on the new pro frame.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:29 AM   #1127 (permalink)
Registered Users

WOW... I have to say these videos are AWESOME

My new Trex 500 arrived yesterday afternoon, and by this morning I am on step 10 and everything seems perfect..!!

That includes taking the time to TechFlex and heatshrink all my servo wires.

The servo setup and head setup videos, are an amazing help...

For my first kit build, I'm shocked how detailed and how helpful these videos, AND this forum has been.

Huge thanks to Bob, and huge thanks to all the forum members
UnionJack72 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2012, 12:56 PM   #1128 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnionJack72 View Post
WOW... I have to say these videos are AWESOME

My new Trex 500 arrived yesterday afternoon, and by this morning I am on step 10 and everything seems perfect..!!

That includes taking the time to TechFlex and heatshrink all my servo wires.

The servo setup and head setup videos, are an amazing help...

For my first kit build, I'm shocked how detailed and how helpful these videos, AND this forum has been.

Huge thanks to Bob, and huge thanks to all the forum members
Glad your setup is going well
Old 02-29-2012, 06:55 AM   #1129 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finless View Post
OK I am going to use the Solid-G gyro from Curtis Youngblood on this heli. So these vids are all about setting that up! If your using somthing else then see my MANY other setups for the 401, 611, SpartanRC, etc... But this section will be all about setting up the Curtis Solid-G with the Trex500
Where/How do I find the other setup videos you mention?

Many thanks
UnionJack72 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2012, 04:43 PM   #1130 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnionJack72 View Post
Where/How do I find the other setup videos you mention?

Many thanks
In the Newbie section...

https://www.helifreak.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59
Old 03-28-2012, 12:34 PM   #1131 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hey gang,
Just finished a 500 build, thanks again to Bob, its perfect! Anyway, what throttle curve should I use for normal mode? Should I follow Align manual recommended, or use curve from 450 build...I installed 12 T pinion, and mostly sport fly, hover orientations and forward flight...No massive 3 D yet!
Assistant to the assistant manure spreader at Middle Creek Stables, LLC
VonRecktofen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2012, 08:42 PM   #1132 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just bought a 3G 500 fbl head conversion. Wondering how tight do you tightn this against the shaft. I also burned up my analog cyclic servos. Guess you caint use analog servos on 3G. Should have read the manual .
Old 03-29-2012, 08:43 PM   #1133 (permalink)
Registered Users

Added pic to the original question. Thanks
Old 03-29-2012, 08:51 PM   #1134 (permalink)
HF Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy cooksey View Post
Just bought a 3G 500 fbl head conversion. Wondering how tight do you tightn this against the shaft. I also burned up my analog cyclic servos. Guess you caint use analog servos on 3G. Should have read the manual .
Tight enough so it doesn't move
Old 03-29-2012, 09:11 PM   #1135 (permalink)
Registered Users

So do I move it up to where the washout arms are level across
Old 03-29-2012, 09:27 PM   #1136 (permalink)
Registered Users

Where is a good build log for the trex 500 upgrade to the align 3G and fbl head ? Thanks
Old 03-30-2012, 01:49 AM   #1137 (permalink)
HF Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy cooksey View Post
So do I move it up to where the washout arms are level across
Yes, they should be level and the linkage rods from the swash to the blade grips should be straight up and down.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:58 PM   #1138 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 500dfc

Quote:
The 550 and the 500/600 are all SO much the same you should not need a specific 550 video. Watch those 500/600 vids and then ask specific questions in the Align forums.

I would have loved to do a 550 video but Align never asked me so I don't even own one nor had the chance or desire. I honestly have not been interested in buying one myself either. It seems now they are getting Jeff Fassbinder to do "professional" videos for you all on Align products so it appears I wont be asked again. If I buy an Align product myself, trust that I will do videos for you guys Thats a promise I always will keep!

Bob
I dont know how you keep up with it all, and fly too, but thanks in advance.

I converted my 500 to the align g3 flybarless system and the new dfc head (no levers now). After going through all the videos, directions, and the swash tends to act appropriately to commands and tilts opposite per the directions, slow and steady coming back to level. when I get in the air it seems the heli wants to continue to roll with an aileron input and not taking a firm position. The only choice I have is to command it back to neutral upright.

I am just wondering if you have any suggestions (all align servos, zeroed at 50-50 when completing the set up limits and confirming correct tilts). Of course it flew vey well before I converted it over.
regets ama is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2012, 09:24 AM   #1139 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
kookmaker there is a MYTH and I am going to bust it right now!

Most radios today that are SMART will skew when you use subtrim and center within those new points.
However this is NOT true when you use stick trim!
This entire "don't use subtrim" thing is a FREAKIN myth.... TRUST ME!
I personally have measured servo throw and ATV (or EPA) when using subtrim up to 100 steps and it does NOT effect ATV (or EPA's) at all. There is nothing wrong with using subtrim to 90 your servos even on a CCPM system! Anyone thats says that is not true is OLD SCHOOL as this is how older radios worked!!!! Newer radios DON'T work that way even when swash is set to CCPM 120 or 140!

So you know I have had PRO's tell me that my videos telling people to use subtrim on a CCPM heli was not right! THEN I showed them USING THEIR radio that no matter how much you dialed in subtrim, it still did not effect the ends of throw. They stammered then HAWed and said "well if you put your ATVs at 150 for max resolution then it does"..... WHO DOES THAT? Even they didn't do that! WTF?

Anyway I cant speak for all radios but for sure I know that sub-trimming on the following radios DOES NOT effect ATV or cause interactions.
Futaba 9C
Futaba 7C
JR 9303 or the new X9303
DX7
Futaba 14mz
Futaba 9Z

So anyone telling someone to NOT use subtrims on the above radios is FULL OF IT... Sorry that is the facts jack.... If someone tells you that crap,,,,,, it is MYTH and ask them to prove it to you! A protractor and calipers will revealed the TRUTH.
When they loose the bet please send me 1% of the winnings

Bob
I'm not disagreeing with the above statement, but I think the problem at hand is different.

At my local club I was shown the effect of using excessive subtrims. Motor unplugged, switched to idle up and shown the swash move up and down irregularly, jerky across the entire swash range.

It didn't do anything to the end travel of individual servos as you've confirmed (that's what's EPA/ATV is for anyway), but it will influence swash plate movement (speed /accuracy) when all servos are working together across the entire swash range.

In worst case scenarios this can cause jerking/jumpy movement and inaccuracy in control.

If you want an as smooth, accurate and level as possible travel throughout the entire swash range, you'll want to keep trimming to a minimum and fix the issues mechanically as much as possible. In fact, if the mechanical setup was done properly to begin with, you're not that likely to ever need much or any trims, so you'll be good right from the start.

Would you really ever recommend using stick trims to counter an aileron drift because of a slightly bad mechanical setup over adjusting the linkages to get rid of the aileron drift / tip-over tendency the mechanical way to a newbie? In the end you'll get a far better mechanical setup if using the latter.

I'd say the keyword here is 'excessive' trimming. (sub-)trims are meant to correct physical imperfections to get things perfect, they are not meant to replace basic mechanical adjustments when they are still perfectly possible to do.
PHeMoX is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2012, 09:26 AM   #1140 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by regets ama View Post
when I get in the air it seems the heli wants to continue to roll with an aileron input and not taking a firm position. The only choice I have is to command it back to neutral upright.

I am just wondering if you have any suggestions (all align servos, zeroed at 50-50 when completing the set up limits and confirming correct tilts). Of course it flew vey well before I converted it over.
Did you try to compensate the roll tendency by mechanical adjustments of the aileron related linkages?

Did you try to lower/raise the gain for the ailerons?
PHeMoX is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in