Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Spartan RC > Spartan Vortex

Spartan Vortex Spartan RC - Vortex VX1 Factory Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2014, 08:13 AM   #221 (permalink)
Registered Users

The VX1n featured proudly on my 450 Pro....One nice thing if possible for my future Spartan wish list would be an ability to alter relative cyclic servo absolute throws to help keep swash level through entire collective range for those birds who have less than ideal geometry.

Perhaps servos 1,2 and 3 at 100% throws as default and then an ability to go in and change say servo 1 to maybe 95% to compensate for any symmetry issues of the servo mounting layout.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1798.jpg
Views:	940
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	543197  

Last edited by FNFAL; 10-17-2014 at 11:26 AM..
FNFAL is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2014, 07:46 AM   #222 (permalink)
Registered Users

A question for Angelos, does the rpm port on the vortex supply regulated voltage to the sensor? If so, what is the voltage?
lowey79 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2014, 07:47 AM   #223 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowey79 View Post
A question for Angelos, does the rpm port on the vortex supply regulated voltage to the sensor? If so, what is the voltage?
Regulated 3.6V

Angelos is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2014, 07:53 AM   #224 (permalink)
Registered Users

Damn that was fast! Thanks!

Im trying to establish if the scorpion opto cable will work when the egov is released
Old 10-20-2014, 07:59 AM   #225 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It should do; we have one here and I think it worked fine. But the ESC wasn't big enough for the heli and I am using a different brand now with the a HobbyWing phase sensor to read RPM. We will sure go back and test the Scorpion before the egov is released.

Angelos is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2014, 08:05 AM   #226 (permalink)
Registered Users

Good to know... Thanks again!
Old 10-20-2014, 08:57 AM   #227 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've installed my VX1n into my Rave 90 ENV. I've opted to use a regular mag pickup for my rpm sensor. The first flight wasn't all that bad. 3D and the Bert K pre-sets was a bit sluggish for me...not knowing how it would feel in my Rave. I was plagued with a bad case of vibrations. Come to find out, the mainshaft was bent slighly, had to replace the start shaft and top bearing, the top two main bearings were shot (from the mainshaft mostly), both tail output shaft bearings were loose in the carbon fiber plates, the tail control pitch controller was bent (oblong letter "C") and the standoff had a slight twist in it, and the tail servo was going bad...too much slop - tail hunting.

After fixing all of that, in stages, I was able to start adjusting the settings in the Vortex more to my likings. I increased the cyclic responce a little and reduced the Expo for Aileron, Elevator, and rudder. I increased the throttle for idle 1&2 a bit, and now it flys the way I like it...snappy! However, during the tuning session, the motor front bearing decided to start leaking causing the motor to act funny! I've replaced the bearing and I ready to try this again! I haven't been able to beat on this heli and I'm really dieing to find out how it acts and feels once dialed in! So far I'm liking it!!!

From what I've experience, I want to buy another VX1n for my Goblin gasser!

I do have a couple of questions...

1. When setting up the throttle for a nitro bird, do I set the throttle trim to zero or leave it at 50%? I'm thinking I set it to zero so absolute endpoints in the VX1n is full throttle travel on the carb.

2. How do I shut off the governor function, while I'm flying to see if it is working versus my throttle curves in the radio?

3. Without having to change all 3 cyclic servo horns (maybe I should), I wasn't able to set the 8 degrees aileron adjustment. I could only get 8.5 degrees...will this hurt the flight characteristics?

Thanks!

Citizen 654
rcnut is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2014, 08:09 PM   #228 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

1. Yes, set it up for absolute positions and then edit your Normal Throttle curve and center trim. Then you can use trim for your idle.

2. You can adjust the Governor per flight mode in the Vortex. You need to set up a channel to change flight modes (Bank Switching). Once you set that up you just select wither the gov is on or off for the flight mode.

3. Yes, the max position of 8.5 will make the heli sluggish and slow to flip or roll. If I am reading this right, as in you can only get 8.5 degrees of cyclic at the maximum throw? If I am reading it right go ahead and move the servo balls on the horns out one hole and try again.

Spartan Vortex, Scorpion Motors, ExperienceRC Batteries, OMG Servos
FrSky Taranis
DaveHolland is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2014, 10:32 PM   #229 (permalink)

My HF Map location

3. I think he's saying he can't get the Aileron 8 degrees at the lower adjust value, meaning he has too much mechanical gain. With a good setup, you normally have to increase the value from default. In his case I think he has to decrease it but can only get down to 8.5 degrees.

If so, go inward one hole on the swash servo arms and that should help it.

Sent via phone
Old 10-21-2014, 06:59 AM   #230 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
1. Yes, set it up for absolute positions and then edit your Normal Throttle curve and center trim. Then you can use trim for your idle.
Great, I thought that was the way to set it up.

Quote:
2. You can adjust the Governor per flight mode in the Vortex. You need to set up a channel to change flight modes (Bank Switching)...
Yep, did that and set it to "F-Mod."

Quote:
Once you set that up you just select wither the gov is on or off for the flight mode.
Now that's the question, can I use another assigned switch on the radio to turn the GOV on or off? Versus having to land, go into the settings and turn off the gov, then hover, land, turn on the gov, hover, etc. The GV-1 has a wire plugged into an open port (Aux3) on the receiver/controller that allows the pilot to turn the GOV on and off, to check to see if the governor is working. I wanted to know if the Vortex had something like that.

Quote:
3. I think he's saying he can't get the Aileron 8 degrees at the lower adjust value, meaning he has too much mechanical gain. With a good setup, you normally have to increase the value from default. In his case I think he has to decrease it but can only get down to 8.5 degrees.

If so, go inward one hole on the swash servo arms and that should help it.
Sorry about that, I should have said I have too much mechanical gain to start. My pitch gauge was around 18+ degrees and by the time I adjusted the setting in the data pod, I could only achive 8.5 degrees. Ok, so move the balls on the servo horns in one hole.

But won't that slow the cyclic reaction time? Just trying to wrap my head around this.

Citizen 654
rcnut is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2014, 07:17 AM   #231 (permalink)

My HF Map location

If you can get your aileron 8 degrees setup value to 80 or higher, that is more ideal. It will not slow the heli down. You are more likely to have issues with tuning the rotor with the mechanical gain so high.

Sent via phone
Old 10-21-2014, 01:06 PM   #232 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

No it wont slow it down, 18 degrees of cyclic is a ton. I was thinking 8.5 degrees max cyclic.

For the governor you go into your settings on the datapod and select what flight modes have a governor. I personally run Normal and Idle 1 to have a governor and leave Idle 2 with governor off. That way I can flip between the two and tune as needed.

Spartan Vortex, Scorpion Motors, ExperienceRC Batteries, OMG Servos
FrSky Taranis
DaveHolland is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2014, 04:09 PM   #233 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Make sure you have your bellcranks and main blade grips on the proper holes. The ENV bellcranks have inner and outer holes, and the blade grips do as well. The blade grips should be on the outer hole, and the cranks should be on the inner hole. This decreases the throws available, and allows FBL's to have better resolution.

Mine is setup on a straight 1:1 ratio from servo to bellcrank, meaning the servo arm balls are the same radius from center as the bellcrank input balls. Then, the crank output ball is on the inner hole, and the blade grip balls are on the outer holes. The manual explains FB vs. FBL setup.

Hope that makes sense.

YS Powered Rave ENV Stretch Protos 500, Stretch Mini Protos, 180 Trio
gitbse is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2014, 04:15 PM   #234 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNFAL View Post
The VX1n featured proudly on my 450 Pro....One nice thing if possible for my future Spartan wish list would be an ability to alter relative cyclic servo absolute throws to help keep swash level through entire collective range for those birds who have less than ideal geometry.

Perhaps servos 1,2 and 3 at 100% throws as default and then an ability to go in and change say servo 1 to maybe 95% to compensate for any symmetry issues of the servo mounting layout.
I had a Vbar Elitist (everybody knows at least one) say that to me.

He was like "How do you make sure your swash is perfectly level at the top and bottom ranges?"

I said... "My machine is setup properly..."

YS Powered Rave ENV Stretch Protos 500, Stretch Mini Protos, 180 Trio
gitbse is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2015, 01:14 PM   #235 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi,
I mounted VX1n on 700e in Up and Fr. All sensors read the correct axis and the correct direction of rotation. But when I raise a tail up, the swashplate works on an elevator also, as well as in the UpBk mode. Why so?
Now I setup InFr, the swashplate began to work normally, and all sensors read the correct axis, but yaw axis the uncorrect direction of rotation
VladZ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2015, 01:15 PM   #236 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi,
I mounted VX1n on 700e in Up and Fr. All sensors read the correct axis and the correct direction of rotation. But when I raise a tail up, the swashplate works on an elevator also, as well as in the UpBk mode. Why so?
Now I setup InFr, the swashplate began to work normally, and all sensors read the correct axis, but yaw axis the uncorrect direction of rotation
Old 09-19-2015, 09:11 PM   #237 (permalink)
Registered Users

Have you gone through and completed the swash setup? Part of that sets up the servo directions, so you could get unexpected results until that is complete.

Generally there are three steps on the Vortex to getting those control directions set:

- Transmitter setup
- Receiver setup
- Swash setup
myxiplx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2015, 11:18 PM   #238 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, I made all settings. I adjusted other VX1 and such problem wasn't earlier.
From the transmitter everything works normally.
When I check work of gyroscopes: I incline the helicopter a tail up and the plate too bends in hulk the party, but has to in the opposite.
In the UpFr mode the elevator works as in the UpBk mode.
If I establish UpBk, ailerons and a pitch reverse the actions, butt the elevator no.

ps excuse for language, it is machine translation
Old 09-20-2015, 02:21 AM   #239 (permalink)
Registered Users

There has to be something wrong, so check everything step by step:

1. Under Transmitter setup, did you check that all the controls are moving in the correct directions on the "Transmitter Live Controls" screen?

2. Check your sensor direction. Can you post a picture of how you are mounting the Vortex on the helicopter?

3. In the swash setup, on the swashplate type screen, check that you have the servos connected correctly. If you look at the helicopter from the top, they should be numbered clockwise around the swash.

4. In swash setup, under collective direction, do you have the collective working properly?

Once all those steps are correct it should work properly.
myxiplx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2015, 03:02 AM   #240 (permalink)
Registered Users

1. For UpFr: all the controls are moving in the correct directions on the "Transmitter Live Controls" screen - yes!
Swash works normally only with InFr

2 foto:

3,4 yes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in