Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Airplanes Info and Support > Airplane Related

Airplane Related R/C Airplanes Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2014, 06:04 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Good to know. I was probably going to build the struts out of aero tubing and fab up some more scale like fittings but I might have been tempted to cheap out and go with the stock stuff.
700 size scale Bell Jet Ranger 206BIII, 450 size scale UH-1N, 180 size fpv race/freestyle quad w/Fatshark Dominator V3 goggles, mCPX BL, some edf jets and a plank or two, DX8, AMA# 923167, Clubs: Silver Hills RC, Coeur D Alene Modelers Association
JasonJ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2014, 11:07 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Got quite a bit done since last posting. have to install aileron servos and ele/rud linkage and I can start covering.

Better shot of the cowl. this alone took a week as I had to epoxy the plastic cowl together, lay epoxy and cloth inside for strength, mount up the dummy cylinders, build the cooling shrouds and exhaust and paint.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scalecubcowl2.jpg
Views:	3367
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	496863   Click image for larger version

Name:	scalecubcowl1.jpg
Views:	3312
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	496864  
700 size scale Bell Jet Ranger 206BIII, 450 size scale UH-1N, 180 size fpv race/freestyle quad w/Fatshark Dominator V3 goggles, mCPX BL, some edf jets and a plank or two, DX8, AMA# 923167, Clubs: Silver Hills RC, Coeur D Alene Modelers Association
Old 03-23-2014, 08:47 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

I Love it keep the updates and pics coming
Old 03-24-2014, 11:23 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 1/4 Scale J-3 Cub...

JasonJ,

So good to see that you are continuing with the build. I have been regularly visiting the site to see if you had progressed at all. The build looks really good, can't wait to see it covered. Keep up the good work!

Jim
j_mcdade is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2014, 11:38 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yeah I work on it almost every day but not for long periods. An hour here and an hour there. It's spring and my winter project is not done. I didn't really figure on maidening it until April anyway, don't want to deal with cold temps on a maiden of something this big. I may get it flyable but not do the scale interior yet just so I know it flies well before doing all that work.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:17 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Any progress made on the Cub?

JasonJ,

I curious as to what kind of progress you have made since mid March? The Cub was looking great, really want to see what that thing looks like finished! Hope you have had time to work on it...

Jim
Old 06-02-2014, 11:15 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Cub is completed and I maidened it yesterday. I have been working on it in the small amounts of spare time I have had. Been busy with work and getting other stuff done.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	finishedcub1.jpg
Views:	3136
Size:	208.7 KB
ID:	513337  
Old 06-04-2014, 03:03 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Beautiful! Nice work!
CrashDavis is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2014, 09:01 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Very Nice!!!

JasonJ,

Strong work! That Cub looks fantastic! !How was the maiden, any surprises? I just augered mine in. Lost control intermittantly after take-off, and hit a fence at full throttle, the results weren't pretty. Oh well, I will build another one in the near future.

Jim
Old 06-26-2014, 11:40 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Beautiful! Great work!
CrashDavis is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2014, 11:38 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The maiden went fine. I have learned that you have to let the tail come up and feed a good amount of right rudder and let it come up to takeoff speed on the ground. Do this and it will lift off smoothly. Don't do that and it will get airborne before it has sufficient lift and it will drop a wing and crash. That is a typical cub characteristic. It's not like a 3d or aerobatic plane where you can just power it into the air. You have to fly a cub. Only hiccup that has happened was the tank I installed had nitro lines and tank plug vs the proper gasoline gear and it wouldn't run as a result. I fixed all of that and have a bunch of flights on it . It flies awesome.
Old 08-03-2014, 01:21 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have a ton of flights on this thing now. Engine is mostly broke in now. Did have an incident where the engine quit on a down wind leg. Got her back around and down to within 4 feet of the ground and it ran out of lift and landed hard, damaging the landing gear. I fortified the Hanger 9 gear as it isn't super strong and all is well again. Been flying it almost every weekend.
Old 12-28-2014, 12:05 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

nice work
monyi85 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2014, 12:08 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice work
monyi85 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2014, 04:15 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks. It's a tough bird for sure. I had a nasty landing in September with high crosswinds that pushed it over into the weeds and it nosed over. Just broke the prop and banged up the tail a bit. A few hours work and she was back to fighting trim. Been a great plane. I flew it in a scale masters event and was doing well until the exhaust bolts had loosened and I had to cut the flight short and land, costing me points. It was fun though. I'll finish the interior this winter and she will be good to go.
Old 07-24-2015, 01:34 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi,
you got any problems in cooling the DLE35 throught the openings in Pipers cowling?
Pegru is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2015, 09:27 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

Do you happen to have a video of the cub with this engine? I'm restoring a cub and thinking about this engine.
RC Airplane Build Logs
semperfib400 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2016, 11:29 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Beautiful bird.

Love mine.
charlesyoung is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in