Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Simulators Support > Other R/C Flight Simulators

Other R/C Flight Simulators Other R/C Flight Simulators

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2014, 12:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default TX vs. game controller

What kind of draw backs would there be from using a regular game controller for getting into sim work? I prefer controllers like the Xbox 360 style for regular gaming and was thinking of using it to get started on a heli sim. It'll be a while before I can afford a full transmitter, so I was thinking of using a regular game controller for the time being to get started with improving orientations and such.

Just to get it out of the way, I know using an actual transmitter with a sim is going to be the best so there's no need to tell me I should just get one. That's the plan when the funds are available. I'm still kinda new to this, so I'd only be working on some basics and not trying to learn full 3D flying stuff yet.
Mooncatt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2014, 02:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncatt View Post
What kind of draw backs would there be from using a regular game controller for getting into sim work? I prefer controllers like the Xbox 360 style for regular gaming and was thinking of using it to get started on a heli sim. It'll be a while before I can afford a full transmitter, so I was thinking of using a regular game controller for the time being to get started with improving orientations and such.

Just to get it out of the way, I know using an actual transmitter with a sim is going to be the best so there's no need to tell me I should just get one. That's the plan when the funds are available. I'm still kinda new to this, so I'd only be working on some basics and not trying to learn full 3D flying stuff yet.
No issue with initially learning with a game controller. Your brain needs to learn the responses to be able to fly. When to correct, what are directions, etc...

If you stick with it, get a full TX, like a Turnigy 9XR and an all-in-one USB cable - about $60 + postage from HK. The Turnigy 9XR+ the Orange JR DSMX module $30 will fly any Blade helis (is cheaper than a DX6i and has more functions - MUCH better then the Blade RTF radios).
Old 04-15-2014, 02:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks, and that did address another question I had for later on down the road. Which remotes and such. I'll be looking in to that later on when ready, but good to know there are ones out there that work with different radio technologies.
Mooncatt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2014, 02:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I got started myself with a PS3 controller and about 50 hours on Heli-X sim before I got my first heli. Really paid off and only took me about 10 more hours on the sim to un-learn the funny throws and throttle spring.
Russell Harding is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2014, 11:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Stupid question? Will any decent flight simulator run on xbox1?
chuk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2014, 11:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Don't think so.
Old 05-18-2014, 06:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Too bad, the xbox has a usb port, good speed, good graphics. Would be nice to practice on the big screen.
Would this be something microsoft would have to develop or would the third party have to rework their coding?
chuk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2014, 03:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My guess is that an existing sim that runs on windows could probably be ported and added to as a downloadable game without too much trouble. I don't think the market would be very big for it though... However, there are sims for iphone and the input device there (thumbs on screen) is pretty much completely unusable, so perhaps it might happen someday.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in