Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2008, 04:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location
Default Align 2in1 possible reason for failure? Worth a look!

Ron Lund PM'ed me this link and asked me to review it. Upon reviewing it, it hit me that this could be a possible cause some have seen failures of the 2in1 (wont power on and appears dead).

You will see in his pictures that there is something that is causing corrosion on the switch contacts. Might be fuel exhaust, etc who knows... May be the fact the terminals are NOT gold plated, etc.... Either way this is worth a look and use of the contact cleaner at a minimum.

http://www.ronlund.com/align_2_in_1_regulator_fix.htm

Thanks for the tip Ron!!!!

Bob

Last edited by Finless; 07-11-2008 at 07:55 PM..
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2008, 05:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
HF Support

That's real interesting - might be worth some preventative action even if not having probs by spraying some electrical contact cleaner in - this seems to come as pure cleaner or cleaner with lube - the latter would seem ideal - would be nice to know the wiring of the cable - if mine breaks down I'll dissect it !
Old 07-13-2008, 01:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

or just buy a better quality unit? to be honest it would be a real concern should it fail in flight..... very dangerous
NZ_Nitro is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2008, 04:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Bob, Mercuriell,
I'm not sure contact cleaner would give the same results. That CorrosionX stuff is a unique product that won't harm anything except corrosion and it doesn't evaportate.

I think contact cleaner alone might work for a very brief period, but as soon as it evaporates, you're right back where you started.

Ron
ronlund is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2008, 05:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappa View Post
or just buy a better quality unit? to be honest it would be a real concern should it fail in flight..... very dangerous
snappa,

I'm not trying to be a wiseguy here, but which part on one of these helicopters wouldn't be a real concern if it failed?

Almost any component in any model helicopter is subject to failure. There's not a servo, battery, receiver or switch out there that has never had a failure.

The 2 in 1 is in thousands of models and working perfectly in the vast majority. Just like you wouldn't fly with a servo that has stripped gears, I wouldn't fly if my regulator switch was acting up. You would replace the gears in the servo. I would bypass or squirt some CorrosionX in the 2 in 1 switch, then go fly.
Old 07-13-2008, 04:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
HF Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronlund View Post
Bob, Mercuriell,
I'm not sure contact cleaner would give the same results. That CorrosionX stuff is a unique product that won't harm anything except corrosion and it doesn't evaportate.

I think contact cleaner alone might work for a very brief period, but as soon as it evaporates, you're right back where you started.

Ron
Take your points Ron - I was thinking of using the contact cleaner that leaves a protective residue BEFORE corrosion had set in as a preventative measure - shame how people love to bag Align products - I think they are good quality and considering the extent of usage I think there are very few problems
Old 07-18-2008, 12:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I read through the link on Ron's site, from Bob's post, and the part about a TV running submersed in a tank of corrosionx caught my eye, but I couldn't find the picture. That would be cool to see, got a link?
Old 07-18-2008, 08:40 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Interesting indeed. I think my local gun shop carries CorrosionX so I'll have to pick some up and keep it on hand just in case. So far, my 2-in-1 is fine and doesn't drop out if wiggled, but it hasn't flown yet. Also, mine's on the muffler side of the frame so I wonder if the exhaust will affect it...
jeffk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2008, 01:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would definitely move it to the other side Jeff.
Old 07-21-2008, 02:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronlund View Post
I would definitely move it to the other side Jeff.
I agree, both from a fuel invasion perspective and from the perspective of potential burns from accidentally touching a hot pipe.
Graupner MZ-32

Experience is something you gain only after you need it.
I wouldn't mind social media so much if it didn't involve people.
TheBum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2008, 07:00 PM   #11 (permalink)
DJC
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJC View Post
OK I got the switch and that fancy carbon fiber mount for it. I called to talk to Ron but he was out, so being in a hurry I went ahead and winged it. I installed the switch and mount bracket and routed the wires through some of that braided wire proctor. There are 3 pairs of wires, the ones marked Tx and the Bat ends I clipped off. I did a continuity check on the black wires and flipped the switch to see if it turned on and off as I hoped for and I had it right. I opened the Align switch box (it has 4 screws holding it closed) and pealed the RTV off of the switch and connections as shown on Ron's Heliproz South web site. I bent and broke off the switch contacts and did the solder connection as shown. I put some RTV over the hole after reassembling the box. Next I cut the black wire that goes to the battery in the middle of it's length and soldered the ends to the black wires from the switch, a little shrink tube and that was that. The rest of the switch wire I just pushed inside the braided wire protector and zip tied it all to the base plate. I cut the corner of the fan shroud off for clearance for the wires and made sure that none of the wires would chafe or get pinched. I now feel a lot better. Ron is right my contacts looked good but they sure are weak looking to me. I'm not sure how big of a problem this is but I love that 2in1 reg. and now I don't have to worry about the cheezy little switch. Just my .02 cents
I had put this in the wrong place maybe.
DJC is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2008, 05:14 PM   #12 (permalink)

My HF Map location

add another 2n1 to the list with a bad switch. I have been flying my current 600N for the whole summer and just finished gallon 5. I have always had a small tail twitch since the end of the first gallon. I dismissed it as the tail grips. When attempting to shut the switch off the other day I pressed it sideways (perpendicular to its normal motion) and the tail servo twitched like crazy. Mine must be corroded to.
Nankin Hobby is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2008, 03:54 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I took Bob.s advice and shoe goo'ed my switch and the ESC.works great so far.In fact it does such a nice job on wires that I even secured the balancing wires on my 6 cells for my EP 600. Thanks for the good advice BoB. Shoe works
Tim Smith is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2008, 10:11 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Heh, I replaced mine with an Arizona and a SwitchGlo before I had any issues with it. Anyone interested in a perfectly working Align 2-in-1?
jeffk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2008, 10:06 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 2 in 1

we have 3 units in three diff. heli"s no problems.
edge blades
scorpion motors
daddy/ben is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2008, 12:24 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

we had the switch problem a number of months ago. Solution was to take the box apart, de-solder the switch from the PC board, the simply solder the 2 contacts to the permanent ON position then silicone up the resulting hole in the case. Turns on when we plug the 2-in-1 into the battery, Simple is good...
trex90210 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2008, 07:09 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

running the 2n1 for about 100 flights no problems...please note after every flight i give the heli a quick wipe down and make sure the remote switch have no fuel on it.

i think peeps are leave oils or fuel on the switch and its getting inside and then that will give problems, i think!

but im very happy with my unit and it gives me no problems.

plus the 2n1 comes with the kit, why spend the extra money?
OS 50 HYPER, Hatori Bob Watts Pipe
TT 600 Carbon Blades
brunsflyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2008, 08:28 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Good information guys. I'm still building my 600, and reading everything I can. I have never liked JST connectors and will be replacing both the battery and 2-in-1 connector with mini Deans before flight. I have seen JSTs cause glitches galore, don't want that on a big, high-powered heli for sure.
Helicopters don't fly anyway! Gaui X5 Scorpion 910kv, stock ESC, HS5625MG, GY520/BLS251, T-rex 450 Pro 610m GP780, T-rex 450 SeV2 430xl/HS65HB/Gy401/HSG5084MG/CC35, Blade 130x, Blade MSR & Nano CPX, Futaba 7c/8fg 2.4ghz, Spektrum DX7
clear4takeoff is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2008, 03:01 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

I bought the NSP package, do you think they fix this in the updated package or is this still an issue in the NSP?

Trex 900 DFC Ultra Combo OS HZ 195 Hyper , Goblin 1200 84S Flybared
Scotty T is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2008, 09:51 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

I saw this post while building my 600n and decided having a fuel tank stopper and lines right over the remote switch case was not good. So I put in 2 standoffs, a piece of servo tray plastic, and ran the fuel line behind it. So far, no fuel residue on the switch case.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2 in 1.JPG
Views:	742
Size:	168.5 KB
ID:	65957  
Helicopters don't fly anyway! Gaui X5 Scorpion 910kv, stock ESC, HS5625MG, GY520/BLS251, T-rex 450 Pro 610m GP780, T-rex 450 SeV2 430xl/HS65HB/Gy401/HSG5084MG/CC35, Blade 130x, Blade MSR & Nano CPX, Futaba 7c/8fg 2.4ghz, Spektrum DX7
clear4takeoff is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in