Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > KDS Helicopters General Discussion > KDS Chase 360

KDS Chase 360 KDS Chase 360 Discussion

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2014, 12:20 AM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmyhelis View Post
Now you are actually ready to mount up your preferred battery as specified in section 7 and get the Chase 360's cog correctly configured. And the most simple method I know of to do this is to simply mount up the battery and hang the heli on its side while holding it by one of the main blades. If the heli hangs equally. The cog is correct. If not, it needs to be moved around. For this thread I simply pulled out one of my old 1300 35c 6s Voltz packs, which amazingly still is healthy after close to 300 plus flights and left sitting in the fridge for two years! Its other two mates didn't fare as well and each have a weak cell. But between them all I plan on building two complete 6s long packs. Three cells on each side end to end, long and thin. This should raise up my cog much higher yet.

Personally I like the velcro method to hold the packs in place, and then use a small battery strap to anchor them down. Most of you will probably use the supplied KDS velcro, but for my use I prefer a solid locking strap such as the smaller 450 size 6 cell Scorpions or equal. On this new skinny 6s pack though, the Kds velcro holds ok.

Hopefully I can get someone over here to show up and take a pic while the Chase is hung by one of its blades to give you a good look at how this is done. As simply picking it up from beneath the grips with a small 450 is sometimes hit and miss.
What are the dimensions of those packs as you have them split up? I wanted to run two of these in series and wasn't sure I'd be able to get the CoG right.

Awesome thread!
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2014, 04:24 PM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks! The packs are based off the Voltz 6s 35c. And measure out at roughly 25mm thick, 34mm wide, 140mm long.
Old 10-09-2014, 04:27 PM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPDJBT View Post
I wasn't trying to be critical or looking for errors, if that's how you took it. I'm already organizing my build although I don't even have the kit yet and as I was making notes of certain areas of the build I'd need to pay close attention to I got a little confused at that section of your write up.

BTW, how are you liking those servos so far? I have a set of those on my other 450 and they seem to perform pretty well.

A 380 - 420 stretch sounds awesome! I didn't think it would be doable on this bird.
Its ok, I didn't take it that way. Sadly my new (but sitting in storage for a long time) Yep esc gave up the ghost just as I was getting ready to field it yesterday. So I have a new one headed my way. So far so good on the servos, but only time will tell here.
Old 10-09-2014, 06:02 PM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

I got an email from Allen at KDS and all the original owners should be getting some new parts.. Hopefully the gentleman I bought mine from will send them to me.. If not, Allen said they would send them to me for shipping cost only!
Diabolo S #41
TDR 2
The others come and go..
craigdieselmac is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2014, 08:28 PM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdieselmac View Post
I got an email from Allen at KDS and all the original owners should be getting some new parts.. Hopefully the gentleman I bought mine from will send them to me.. If not, Allen said they would send them to me for shipping cost only!
How does this work? I just got my 360 today from HeliDirect. Do I need to register my purchase with KDS to get any future update parts?
IPDJBT is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2014, 01:15 AM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

Which parts are they updating?
PeteStewardson is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2014, 02:27 AM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Good news!! Hopefully they don't stuff it up.
jolyboy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2014, 06:05 AM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

They have a pulley that has a flange on both sides (I am assuming it is the main pulley/gear). I don't know if the new kits came with this or not. I don't know what else they have
Diabolo S #41
TDR 2
The others come and go..
Old 10-10-2014, 06:48 AM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah the pulley missing the flange I think has turned out to be a non-issue, nearly everyone is having the belt running at the bottom of that pulley so the flange at the top isn't causing any problems.
Old 10-10-2014, 07:32 AM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had to file down my pinion to get the first belt to come up on the first reduction pulley. I had about .5 mm exposed belt below the pulley and could not raise the pinion up enough to correct it. I am going to take it to a buddy of mine and have it turned on a lathe or machined down to smooth it out.. it is functional, just not pretty. My main belt has a little bit of exposed pulley below the belt so it is fine, just not centered.
Diabolo S #41
TDR 2
The others come and go..
Old 10-10-2014, 07:33 AM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

helicopter is stunning though. I absolutely love the design.
Diabolo S #41
TDR 2
The others come and go..
Old 10-11-2014, 04:38 AM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmyhelis View Post
Here is the step involved I actually partially described in step 2. The KDS step 3 in the manual which is mounting the motor in place. I am sure in the newer kits that this step will be quite straightforward without nearly the work it took to get it correct in my first run version. So I described it in more detail in the earlier step to address this. As I am sure the new pinions provided with the kits will seat the belt at its correct height and the primary gear reduction system should fit like a glove.

Again, this is a great time to adjust the motor belt tension and get the pinion seated at the correct height on the motor shaft. And again, if you are going to inside route the wire as I did, make sure the motor wire exits towards the back so it can be tucked through the opening.

Again the basic motor mount pics. See the belt not right in the center of the white plastic reduction gear? Adjust the pinion on the motor shaft until this is correct.
I cannot get this belt to run in the center, instead it runs right on the edge of the plastic gear. The reason being I cannot move the motor pinion any closer to the mounting plate because the pinion itself will rub on the motor mounting screws. The chamfered slots in the motor mount plate need to be machined just a wee bit deeper so the motor screws will sit down in the slots further.
IPDJBT is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2014, 05:23 AM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you put the pinion in a dremel you can shamfer the bottom of the pinion to get it closer.
Old 10-11-2014, 01:32 PM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteStewardson View Post
If you put the pinion in a dremel you can shamfer the bottom of the pinion to get it closer.
Exactly. Same with the pinion base itself. IF the parts are left stock, there is no way they will clear each other at the required height it takes to get the belt to run true at this point. I just used a cheapo $18 Harbor Freight drill and a file to mod both mine. You do not need exotic tools, just some common sense and basic stuff can do just about anything here.
Old 10-11-2014, 01:47 PM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just added some washers to the bottom of the motor mount raising the whole thing by 1mm due to lack of tools as suggested by Luvmyhelis on his build write up and the belt runs in the middle now. I also made a plastic washer made out of a sim card from work which is .7mm in thickness to the top flange bearing so that it sits a little lower, therefore eliminating the play created by the motor mount lift. I originally thought this was the issue causing my belts to strip but even running dead center, the issue is still there.
Andrillox is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2014, 11:03 AM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

just a quick warning... I don't know if it's me but the ball links seem to be made out of butter! I broke two of them leaving half of the screw inside and trying to fix it I damaged the whole swash plate... my build is now waiting on helidirect to ship me a new one

So, before anything heat the ball links to soften the thread locker and then unscrew them. Trust me, it took almost no strength and they broke!
benj.calderon is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2014, 02:26 PM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrillox View Post
I just added some washers to the bottom of the motor mount raising the whole thing by 1mm due to lack of tools as suggested by Luvmyhelis on his build write up and the belt runs in the middle now. I also made a plastic washer made out of a sim card from work which is .7mm in thickness to the top flange bearing so that it sits a little lower, therefore eliminating the play created by the motor mount lift. I originally thought this was the issue causing my belts to strip but even running dead center, the issue is still there.
Nicely done!

The new gears soon being released by Kds should address this belt issue so we can all move on and enjoy what the heli should have been in the first place. Definitely what happens when someone less skilled and talented second guesses a true engineer's intent on any project.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:36 PM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

Next on my to do list was to quickly replace the non turnbuckle fbl grip links Chase supplied with some that actually work turnbuckle style. HeliOption makes servo to swash turnbuckle kits under $14 for the 450 align pro that fit the ticket. I sourced mine at HD but found out they dropped them right after I received and installed them on my own Chase yesterday. These are the perfect length and the balls fit like a glove.

While I was at it I modded my new HW 40a opto esc with a heat sink and additional wiring I needed to make this work right. I always wonder why the factory's think a thin metal plate will work as a sink for us hard cores? So I cut down a sink to fit my esc from a cheap $6 kit from HK that has several sizes and the heat tape also. On my Chase I have the separate Castle 10a bec, so I routed power wires through the esc from the main connections. Then installed new 2mm bullets, and installed bullets also for my HW phase sensor. Then heat shrink wrapped it all up. Works perfect!

Also final shots of my heli as finished. Next posts will be starting the mod section. A few of us are pursuing 12s. Finding an esc seems to be the bottle neck for this venture now that Castle has discontinued their 12s 40a capable smaller esc due to lack of sales. Also I am going to first install a 4 blade head that is designed to fit the 500 Align since they both share an 8mm main shaft in common. Then begin the stretch section, which will show guys modding the Chase how to setup their helis using up to 420 to 430mm main blades. Basically producing a super nimble ultra lightweight 500 on crack.

Somebody tell me what is wrong with that?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09417.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	544176   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09418.jpg
Views:	585
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	544177   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09422.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	544178   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09423.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	544179   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09424.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	544180  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09425.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	544181   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09426.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	544183   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09427.jpg
Views:	531
Size:	181.9 KB
ID:	544184   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09428.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	544185   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09429.jpg
Views:	499
Size:	206.2 KB
ID:	544187  

Old 10-20-2014, 09:29 PM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

Found them at boomtown hobbies
http://www.boomtownhobbies.com/Heli_..._p/hptb002.htm
Diabolo S #41
TDR 2
The others come and go..
Old 10-21-2014, 01:05 AM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think those may be too long?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in