Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Skookum Robotics

Skookum Robotics Skookum Robotics SK-360 SK-540 & SK-720 Digital Flybar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2014, 09:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Night Flying with GPS

I am in the process of seting up my Logo 500 with "glowire" (electroluminescent wire that runs on 2S pack via a driver with an output of approx 120V AC @2000Hz) and night blades to extract a few more flying hours out of a week.

In order for the GPS to work properly, will I need to turn all the lights etc on and re-do the compass swing?
I plan to have a "self contained" night fly canopy. Once I have installed it and done the compass swing I will need to use this night fly canopy with the glowire turned on from now on, won't I?

I was hoping to have an entire night fly rig that is a clip on, clip off in 2 minutes setup so I can fly weekends as normal and mid-week at night, but I don't think it is as easy as that is it?

Or am I setting myself up for failure with this particular type of lighting and should go to a LED light strip arrangement at a lower voltage?.
I reckon I can get about 1.5-2 inches separation from the glowire to the GPS unit by running it along the carbon tail supports rather than the boom. Will that be sufficient?

Thanks
Dave
Fruitbat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2014, 10:59 AM   #2 (permalink)

=] as it's the GPS you are concerned about, build the rig and test the outcome in daylight. try it without a fresh compass swing initially to see the effects, if any? at that point it should answer the rest of your questions.

and some pics would be great also!

georgi UK is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2014, 07:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks Georgi,
I finally got organised and completed the install. Without a fresh swing I am getting a magnetic field strength of 0.59 with everything switched off, and 0.60 with all lights etc turned on so I think I should be good to go and try it.

Because I was a bit unsure how it would affect the compass I made sure that there is no HV cables or glolight lead within 20cm of the GPS unit, which means that I have a tiny 2s pack and transformer for the lights out on the boom under the horizontal stabiliser.... time will tell if this is a good spot for it or if I will have to move it into the pod. They both weigh almost nothing but it is a long way back from the CG, maybe a main pack adjustment will be enough. LED mains and tail blades are in transit, hopefully here by the end of the week.

Ill let you know how it goes
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0055.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	520731   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0056.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	520732  
Old 07-08-2014, 08:00 AM   #4 (permalink)

=] that's looking well good! any disorientations will be covered by a gps rescue, cunning!

Old 07-09-2014, 09:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

So I tried it out last night. Since it was a crash rebuild re-maiden I had a couple of test hover flights just on dusk. A little tail wag was evident, I think due to the extra weight of the glowire driver and battery out on the boom. No problem, it tuned out OK and on to night flying.
The only problems I had were

-I connected the glowire for the canopy lights to an empty port on the Rx, which is regulated to 4.8V. This means it gets switched on and off nicely when I arm the heli. Trouble is, the glowire seems a lot dimmer than advertised. Sure enough, re-read the specs and its designed to be connected directly to a 2 or 3S LiPo.
So tonight I am going to try connecting it direct to the Rx 2S pack and see if I can get some extra brightness.

-Speaking of brightness... the ultrabright LED for the GPS is ultra ultra bright at night, too bright in fact. I have moved it under the canopy now so I am hoping that it will create a nice glow around the canopy edges, as well as providing some downlight for landng.
Is there any limitations on the length of the wires to the LED?
I am considering extending them and putting the LED in a shielded spot under the frame, which will light up the landing gear and ground better when coming in to land.

Thanks
Dave
Old 07-10-2014, 05:35 AM   #6 (permalink)

=] good to hear Dave, I don't see a problem going longer on the led cables, you are having fun!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in