Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2009, 08:55 AM   #61 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

The way I avoid hot starts is to always start in throttle hold. The only way I get bitten that way is if I've forgotten to restore the throttle trim after the previous flight, in which case the engine simply dies when switching out of TH.
Graupner MZ-32

Experience is something you gain only after you need it.
I wouldn't mind social media so much if it didn't involve people.
TheBum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2009, 11:28 AM   #62 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBum View Post
The way I avoid hot starts is to always start in throttle hold. The only way I get bitten that way is if I've forgotten to restore the throttle trim after the previous flight, in which case the engine simply dies when switching out of TH.

Yes this is the kind of tip... But I'm also looking for a procedure that I can burn into my head in case of mechanical/electrical failure.....
A hot start is happening. I......

1) Scream like a girl.......then
2) Hold on to the head.....then
3) pinch off the muffler.....then
4) pull off the fuel line....then
5) run home for a change of shorts......

Am I close?
C R Mudgeon is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2009, 09:49 PM   #63 (permalink)
Registered Users

C R, dont try to fool around with the muffler, go direct to the fuel line, it is the fastest... and always hold the head when you start... always... Have you ever seen a mule kick? A out of control hotstart is as bad. I once started my 30 size, the engine ran bad and died, raised the throttle a little thinking it was too cold and when I started it, it went crazy. I was half holding it and the blades tuned several times before I could grabe them and by then the tail came and smack me on the harm... tail rotor in first. Hold the head and position your body to block it if possible.

And, when you say to your self " Hey buddy, that engine is a little cold today, give it a little gas..." remind your self that: a little mean a little and take off that fuel line pincher... mule do kick hard and jack ass still feeling the pain...
Tibo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2009, 04:22 AM   #64 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by C R Mudgeon View Post
Hey Pinecone,

Thanks for the videos! Just got my first nitro heli and was looking for the primer. The videos are great.

Just one thing I concerned as all heck about a hot start. When you do the starting vids can you do the ABC's of preventing a hot start and what you should do in case you have one?

Thanks
Yes I will. I have most of it shot, but due to some technical difficulties (mainly operator error ), I am mising a couple of parts. When I get back, I will shoot those missing parts and then can edit and upload the video.

But:

1) Hold on to the rotor head anytime the starter is spinning the engine.

2) Setup and USE Throttle Hold.

3) Double check throttle IDLE.

4) Hold TIGHT to the rotor head.

5) Place Tx within easy reach.

6) Go for Tx or Fuel Line. I find if the Tx is placed right, I can easily move the throttle to idle if I hot start. And yes, I did hot start my Vibe first time at the field. After starting properly twice at home.
AMA#47402, IRCHA # 3395
Blade CP "Pro", Trex 450SE, PiccoZ, Quick of Japan EP8v2 EX, Hurricane 550, Hurricane 200, JR Vibe 50, Blade mCX, Bergen Intrepid Gasser, Pantera 50, Blade mSR, Novus CP
Pinecone is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2009, 12:32 PM   #65 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finless View Post
BTW... I just want to say something in response to this BS comment.... DUDE... If you don't like someones vids....... Mine or anyone elses... GO SOMEWHERE ELSE! WATCH SOMEONE ELSE'S VIDS.... or don't watch any at all.... Making BS comments like this does NO ONE any good.... Take it somewhere else NOT here!

Can I ask? WTF have YOU done recently to HELP someone? I doubt much really..... Just an ARM CHAIR quarter back that really has nothing constructive to say.... TAKE a shot at doing your OWN helpful videos BEFORE you freakin critize.... what a dork!
Sheesh.... Someone always has to be a critic don't they? WHAT an ASS WIPE.....

Bob
LMFAO!!! I got a good laugh for the day out of that one. Bob that is to funny man!! I know you weren't trying to be funny, but man that some funny shit right there.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:10 PM   #66 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
Yes I will. I have most of it shot, but due to some technical difficulties (mainly operator error ), I am mising a couple of parts. When I get back, I will shoot those missing parts and then can edit and upload the video.

But:

1) Hold on to the rotor head anytime the starter is spinning the engine.

3) Double check throttle IDLE.

4) Hold TIGHT to the rotor head.

5) Place Tx within easy reach.

6) Go for Tx or Fuel Line. I find if the Tx is placed right, I can easily move the throttle to idle if I hot start. And yes, I did hot start my Vibe first time at the field. After starting properly twice at home.
Did all that and still got a hot start and being able to reach TX didn't help! You need to add "MAKE SURE RX IS ON AND THROTTLE SERVO RESPONDING"
Old 02-13-2009, 12:17 PM   #67 (permalink)
Registered Users

GOOD point. Move the stick and see if the servos work FIRST.
AMA#47402, IRCHA # 3395
Blade CP "Pro", Trex 450SE, PiccoZ, Quick of Japan EP8v2 EX, Hurricane 550, Hurricane 200, JR Vibe 50, Blade mCX, Bergen Intrepid Gasser, Pantera 50, Blade mSR, Novus CP
Old 02-13-2009, 12:44 PM   #68 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jays2001 View Post
I believe the normal procedure in the case of a hot start is to break a couple of fingers and then scream like a little girl ;-)

Hahaha yep that sounds possible lmao
CougarRules is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2009, 11:33 PM   #69 (permalink)
Registered Users

Only if you do it wrong.
AMA#47402, IRCHA # 3395
Old 02-17-2009, 10:07 AM   #70 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Pine great vids man...The one on dial indicating is just what I needed. My Vibe went together perfect without needing any dial indicating but I did buy the indicator just in case and now I know how to use it properly lol
[X]Outlaw is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2009, 01:50 AM   #71 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Pine and all,

Not too sure if I'm suppose to post my question here. If it's not, my apologies and please forward me to the right one .

I've been looking at mixes prog on the tx with confusion, tried it on sims but doesn't seem to work. What I was trying to do is to programe mixes on my tx to get a constant head speed on all moves without using governor. Is it possible?
I'm using a DX7 and a JR9PCMXII.

thanks in advance
siang is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2009, 02:36 AM   #72 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by siang View Post
Hi Pine and all,

Not too sure if I'm suppose to post my question here. If it's not, my apologies and please forward me to the right one .

I've been looking at mixes prog on the tx with confusion, tried it on sims but doesn't seem to work. What I was trying to do is to programe mixes on my tx to get a constant head speed on all moves without using governor. Is it possible?
I'm using a DX7 and a JR9PCMXII.

thanks in advance
No mixes needed, you just have to experiment with your throttle curve to get what you want. And to do that, you will need to have someone tach the rotor speed while you are flying.
AMA#47402, IRCHA # 3395
Old 02-21-2009, 07:23 AM   #73 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thx Pine, by adjusting throttle curve with a tach won't compensate the aileron on rolls also it will be too hard to try to compensate both aileron and elevator or even rudder. I was reading thru the JR9 manual and find it very interesting, futher searching thru the nett I found this, http://www.raptortechnique.com/throttlemix.htm#3
Its easier to have a govt but this kind of interest me. It's actually on throttle mix on JR9 radio where else DX7 have only prog mix and not throttle mix.
I haven't tried it on real yet but on sims it doesn't work.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:06 PM   #74 (permalink)
Registered Users

The 9303 has built in Aileron -> Throttle and Elevator -> Throttle mixes. You just have to set the mix amount, and again, that requires taching.

So on a DX7 you do the same thing, set a Aileron -> Throttle and Elevator -> Throttle mix. You should also do a Rudder -> Throttle mix, that increases the throttle when you move the tail against the torque and reduces the throttle when you rotate with the torque.

Or even easier, get a Gov.
AMA#47402, IRCHA # 3395
Old 02-22-2009, 02:24 PM   #75 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post

I've noticed the guys at the field will start without hold and if the idle is a little high, they'll trim the throttle down a couple clicks, and if its low, they'll trim up... quick and easy. However, on my DX7, there is no throttle trim in hold. So if I start it in hold I don't have the option of quick trim adjustments. If the idle is too high or too low, I have to either take it out of hold and adjust the trim a couple clicks, or go into the Hold position menu and modify it. This is kind of a pain and I notice that most at my field don't bother with Hold so they are free to tweak the trim when necessary.

How should this be dealt with? Do I need to to be messing with the idle needle every time it seems a little off, or trim it out of hold then go into the hold menu to adjust every time so I can actually put it back in hold? I've been doing the latter... Which really only needs doing the first flight of the day then it seems ok after that, but then the next week if temps are different, or if I haven't flown it for a couple weeks it needs trimming again.

What I'd really like is some way of trimming the throttle while in hold, without going into a setu menu... any way of doing that?

-David

Haven't watched the vids yet, but will when I get a chance
Old 02-22-2009, 09:48 PM   #76 (permalink)
Registered Users

Not 2 sure. As I'm new I use the hold to kill the engine, lol. I'll set it up once I'm ready for autorotation. In the mean time, engine failure in mid air not an option plz, lol.
By the way, what is the ideal headspeed for normal and idle 1 & 2? Also how do one take a rotor headspeed when a heli is flying around rather hovering?
Old 02-23-2009, 08:32 AM   #77 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you don't use hold, make VERY sure that your throttle is low and you are in Normal. Otherwise you will get to learn about hot starts.

I normally start in Hold, and if needed, pop it out and adjust the trim. I do wish that JR/Spektrum allowed trim in Hold.
AMA#47402, IRCHA # 3395
Old 02-23-2009, 09:15 AM   #78 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

I just go into the TH menu and change the percentage while the heli is idling. I have to do it so seldomly that I don't mind.
Graupner MZ-32

Experience is something you gain only after you need it.
I wouldn't mind social media so much if it didn't involve people.
TheBum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2009, 11:03 AM   #79 (permalink)

Default Would like to know..

Hey Bob!

has anyone or you for that matter made a review on the older Hawk30 size, mine has an OSX eng. JR 700 receiver, just added the HH gyro from my ol HBK2, hoping I can add a matching crystal to the receiver and use the el cheapo TX from the HBK2 which is has you know 6 channel. hope I find out about the hookup on the gyro, I just read,read read, would like to find info on the History of the Hawk! have yet to find stuff like that online with pic's, I also hv a sweet fiberglass Augusta 109 fuse minus fin's don't know who made it, maybe the pic's here would help identify. I would like to add more detail, but past experience with the HBK has taught me to be careful!
Bigrick
Proud to have served "Bigred" the One and only ONE!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	me @1st.inf Div, frks..jpg
Views:	246
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	85105  
bigrick50 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2009, 08:48 PM   #80 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

BigRick

Look at Bob's Swift Video the head is the same setup.
dxtarl is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in