Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Castle Creations ESC and Software

Castle Creations ESC and Software Castle Creations ESC Software and Hardware Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2014, 02:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Castle ice 75 govener surge?

I am using a castle ice 75 on my t-rex 500.

I run a maximum gov headspeed of 2850 on the machine.

With around 60 flights now I've never encountered a power issue until yesterday..

My last two batteries of the day I noticed a surging headspeed during collective maneuvers. I could hear the motor revving up and down , slowly in a ramping Fasion .

I checked my castle logs and nothin seemed out of the ordinary, temps were 106, max watts 1251 and Max Amps at 59.

Any ideas? I checked all connections and stumped / afraid of a time bomb...

Thank you.
* G700c BRAIN2 * T-rex 500 *308DUO *450x #429
Relisys190 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2014, 04:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ive had that a few times during certain moves that load and unload the head a certain way. Its just your governor gain, so you will need to experiment a bit. I had to lower mine.

The best gain will also depend on which firmware version you are running. It seems the older versions wont tolerate the gain as high as the latest beta version seems to do, at least for my style of flying..
Old 11-16-2014, 04:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Current gov gain is 20

Since it happens twice in a row on batteries I got alittle freaked out. The ESC came with the heli I bought everything used with unknown flights.

I'm gonna keep a close eye on my logs for now.

What's odd is even tho the motor speed was ramping up and down my log shows the headspeed never went below 2700.

Close eye on it for sure.
Old 11-16-2014, 06:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relisys190 View Post
Current gov gain is 20

Since it happens twice in a row on batteries I got alittle freaked out. The ESC came with the heli I bought everything used with unknown flights.

I'm gonna keep a close eye on my logs for now.

What's odd is even tho the motor speed was ramping up and down my log shows the headspeed never went below 2700.

Close eye on it for sure.
I notice the sound most when I unload the head. Its the gov gain trying to keep the motor from doing a sudden over-rev. The ESC calculates head speed from the motor itself, but when you do a move that decouples the head from the main gear via the one way, the main rotor can be turning more RPM than the motor would be making and logging at the time for a brief moment.

The sound of the motor and its RPM can be very different than the actual RPM of the head happens to be at that brief moment. The gov gain has an effect on how aggressive the ESC will react when this situation occurs, hence the surging sound. Lower the gain, and it should reduce this behavior.
Old 11-16-2014, 09:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thank you for the answers. I'll made some changes and fly to check it out .

Wonder why suddenly im noticing it more than before.

Thanks again

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in