Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Skookum Robotics

Skookum Robotics Skookum Robotics SK-360 SK-540 & SK-720 Digital Flybar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2013, 02:21 PM   #121 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'll will do my best guys
soko is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2013, 05:00 AM   #122 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Soko has done it!!

Just picked up one of these and used it. I made a nice little leveling platform out of a cheap wooden cutting board and some adjustable furniture glides. But the soko tool is truly amazing. So easy to use. I'm in love with the versatility of the tool and the pitch gauge is top notch. Way to go soko. I'm telling all my friends about it. And $59.99 for the whole kit is very affordable.

Thank you soko.

Rex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
newbheliusr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2013, 02:26 PM   #123 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here is the Soko system being used just late last night on my new SHS 813 stretched Gob 770. The 770 has been beat up. Sorry for how nasty it looks. But the stretch is new. As are half the parts on the heli. First, the Soko tool levels the heli stand. It doesn't matter which way the heli is positioned, as the stand is Soko level! So it doesn't need to be strapped down!

I was setting up the servos,swash, head, and new linkage also that were lost in the last crash. Just install the tool in the grip, how easy is that? Zero out the grips. Test the other variables and grip ranges for the Sk Black. Sooooo easy and precise!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08217.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	458993   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08218.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	458994   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08216.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	458995  
Old 10-19-2013, 02:34 PM   #124 (permalink)
Registered Users

Makes set ups so much easier! I even used it on my Trex 250!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0684.jpg
Views:	2628
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	459003  
jbobb1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2013, 03:14 PM   #125 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Great guys

Makes me very happy to hear all the good feedback

@jbobb1: The integrated skid vise is awesome!

Soko
Old 10-19-2013, 03:33 PM   #126 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbobb1 View Post
Makes set ups so much easier! I even used it on my Trex 250!
Hey, I tried on a couple 250s earlier. But had issues with the weight of the kit in the actual grips. How did you handle that? Just curious. Thanks~!
Old 10-19-2013, 03:48 PM   #127 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

As far as my 250 setups go:
- make sure the Soko Gauge is as close as possible to the main shaft
- if it tilts a little bit in the direction of the Soko Kit it doesn't matter. Why? Because its 90° to the measuring axis and therefore won't affect the reading
Old 10-19-2013, 03:52 PM   #128 (permalink)
Registered Users

Do you mean you had some flexing? I try to be sure the gauge is set on the helical to where it's almost touching the grip to prevent excessive leverage.
jbobb1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2013, 03:57 PM   #129 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yes jbobb, thats the way to do it
As I said: any tilting in direction of the Soko Kit doesn't matter.

Easy test: Use any heli and face the Soko Kit to the front. If you tilt the hely 45° to the front by lifting it on the tail boom the angle won't change (if you do it precise enough)
Old 11-08-2013, 11:19 PM   #130 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just watched the swashplate setup at 0 pitch video. Video mentioned that all linkage lengths (including swashplate to blades grips) should be equal according to the helicopter manual. Then we use the FBL controller software to adjust the servo arm trim to make the swashplate level by matching all 3 angles measured at the 2 linkage balls (outer and inner balls aligned). This is something different than typical way - adjusting swashplate/servo linkage length.

Am I correct about the use of Soko tool to level the swashplate at mid-stick ? What about the 0 pitch of the blade grip ? Video did not mention how to achieve that ?

Thanks,
465 (6s), Align DFC, HW50AV3, KST315 & 8910A+, SK720BE
lcc014 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2013, 11:40 PM   #131 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hey,

Yes the whole thing you're talking about is at 0 transmitter pitch (mid stick).
As you are measuring the pitch on the blade grip and you adjust until you read 0 degree all your linkages are correct to get 0 degree pitch once you're done.

Have a look into the instructions PDF for all th details.

In addition we have a special section about head geometry including explanations about the things you asked in the next version of the PDF.
It should be done by beginning next month.

Soko
Old 11-09-2013, 10:00 AM   #132 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by soko View Post
Hey,

Yes the whole thing you're talking about is at 0 transmitter pitch (mid stick).
As you are measuring the pitch on the blade grip and you adjust until you read 0 degree all your linkages are correct to get 0 degree pitch once you're done.

Have a look into the instructions PDF for all th details.

In addition we have a special section about head geometry including explanations about the things you asked in the next version of the PDF.
It should be done by beginning next month.

Soko
So, when I do the swashplate leveling, I could ignore the blade grip angle. I just concentrate on all 3 angles at those 3 swashplate balls to be the same. Once swashplate is leveled, then I adjust the blade grip link to get 0 degree pitch ?
Old 11-09-2013, 10:38 PM   #133 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcc014 View Post
So, when I do the swashplate leveling, I could ignore the blade grip angle.
sorry man but that sentence makes no sense. you are always measuring the blade grip angle. even if you are leveling the swash plate.
you are adjusting to get 0 degree blade grip on all 3 angles.
This completes two things in one step:
- getting the swash level
- geting zero degree pitch

Did you have a look at the section in the PDF? I'm not in front of a computer at the moment so I cant reference to it..

Soko
Old 11-10-2013, 05:35 AM   #134 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
sorry man but that sentence makes no sense. you are always measuring the blade grip angle. even if you are leveling the swash plate.
you are adjusting to get 0 degree blade grip on all 3 angles.
This completes two things in one step:
- getting the swash level
- geting zero degree pitch

Did you have a look at the section in the PDF? I'm not in front of a computer at the moment so I cant reference to it..

Soko
I did read the PDF version of the manual v2.2 too. Manuel said to adjust linkage lengths (preferred method when measured angle is much greater than 0 degree; otherwise use servo trim in FBL software) to achieve 0 degree pitch. I will try that - adjust both linkages (servo to swash and swash to grip) on all 3 set of balls.

Thanks.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:25 AM   #135 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcc014 View Post
I did read the PDF version of the manual v2.2 too. Manuel said to adjust linkage lengths (preferred method when measured angle is much greater than 0 degree; otherwise use servo trim in FBL software) to achieve 0 degree pitch. I will try that - adjust both linkages (servo to swash and swash to grip) on all 3 set of balls.

Thanks.
I'm curious, are you using the sk540 gyro,...I don't want to misunderstand but if it is ,then you need to 90* your servo arms first before mechanically adjusting linkages,..this will give better resolution,..or at least closer to even throws from positive to negative.

then the linkages to the swash plate should be adjusted to achieve level with a swash leveling tool,..

the 90* is achieved first with the trims,...center, right ,left....after that is set ,..then the mechanical adjustment of the linkages,...you can then set the head ontop and begin the soko procedure,...zero the main shaft ,.then pop on the blade grip linkages and mechanically adjust those linkages till zero is achieved.

when turning the the head it should be zero level in all directions,...given that you had a level platform and zero leveled main shaft .

the +and - trims are only adjusted to achieve the level pitch up or down and not zero,...for example if you go positive pitch and the soko reads 13* ,..it should be 13* turning the head all the way around every quarter turn,..same for negative.

more detailed use of leveling tool and swash will be needed,..that's another book to read
cafediablo_30 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2013, 12:00 PM   #136 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by cafediablo_30 View Post
then you need to 90* your servo arms
Good point cafe! Thx for that...
90° servo arms should be done beforehand of course. Eyeballing is usually enough

Let me know if you need anything else Icc014.

Soko
Old 11-10-2013, 02:40 PM   #137 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by cafediablo_30 View Post
I'm curious, are you using the sk540 gyro,...I don't want to misunderstand but if it is ,then you need to 90* your servo arms first before mechanically adjusting linkages,..this will give better resolution,..or at least closer to even throws from positive to negative.

then the linkages to the swash plate should be adjusted to achieve level with a swash leveling tool,..

the 90* is achieved first with the trims,...center, right ,left....after that is set ,..then the mechanical adjustment of the linkages,...you can then set the head ontop and begin the soko procedure,...zero the main shaft ,.then pop on the blade grip linkages and mechanically adjust those linkages till zero is achieved.

when turning the the head it should be zero level in all directions,...given that you had a level platform and zero leveled main shaft .

the +and - trims are only adjusted to achieve the level pitch up or down and not zero,...for example if you go positive pitch and the soko reads 13* ,..it should be 13* turning the head all the way around every quarter turn,..same for negative.

more detailed use of leveling tool and swash will be needed,..that's another book to read
Yers, I am using SK540 and I did try to use the servo trim from Step 9 of Swash/Cyclic wizard to set servo arm 90 degree to linkage in all 3 servo linkages. However, I could not get the elevator linkage to perfect 90 degree because elevator servo arm was about 80% blocked by the 450 pro side frame. All I could see was the servo screw and 1 servo horn hole next to the servo screw. So I am not 100% sure that this servo arm is 90 degree to the linkage or not.

I will try my best again to make sure that it is 90 degree to elevator linkage then I can apply Soko method to get swashplate level. However, I did put on a swashplate leveler, it showed the swashplate was level at mid-stick. But I still have doubt about the elevator servo arm.....
Old 11-10-2013, 04:59 PM   #138 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
90° servo arms should be done beforehand of course. Eyeballing is usually enough

Soko
Soko,

Will do when I have question/doubt again.

Thanks.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:46 PM   #139 (permalink)
Registered Users

Also this needs to be answered.

Why does the Sk demand a level swash when they know it will need to be setup later with a lean to counter drift?

Answer: It has to have a consistent reference for all helis to know true level. No two helis ever have the same swash lean in a hover! So it cannot be setup with the lean to start with. To get this as close to perfect it has to be done manually afterwards. Skip this step and your 3d work will have a slight tweak to it also that isn't linear in its throws.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:47 PM   #140 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

Soko
Soko,

I followed the steps to setup step 9 of Swash/Cyclic wizards and got all 3 servo arms as close to 90 degree as possible. Then I measured the angle and got 0 degree at all 3 link balls at mid-stick. However, when I moved pitch to full positive, elevator link was a tiny bit lower. When I moved pitch to full negative, right aileron link was a bit lower. In other words, I could not get level swash at both ends of travel. In my 250, I could get swashplate level any all pitch (full negative to full positive). Does this be good enough to have swashplate level at mid-stick for SK540 ? Any other way to get the tiny bit of elevator and right aileron to be leveled at full positive and full negative ?

Thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in