Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Jeti Duplex Radio Systems

Jeti Duplex Radio Systems Jeti Duplex Radio Systems Support

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2014, 10:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Elcrappo, my new DS-14 is going bonkers

I thought it was me just setting up my helis incorrectly. Hey, I have only been at this for six years and do insanely anal setup work. But? Anyone can screw up, right?

Earlier, I noticed my new Jeti Ds-14 screen kept flickering through weird screen idle up values out at the field and when I booted it up from time to time. Sent an inquiry to the dealer and they thought it was just an intermittent bad connection in one of my screen connectors. So, back to the story, after three weeks doing setup work on my new Triabolo 800. All was perfect! During its maiden lift off suddenly the cyclic servos changed directions? Totaled my new heli.

Then a couple days later while out at the flying field I bound up my 600. Checked servo movement as I always do. And the second I went to lift off it nosed into the turf. Totally destroying the heli.

Ok, it must be me? I must be missing something? This is a new tx and I am def needing to calm down and go through everything.

Then last week I am out at the field test flying a new RcTek tri rotor tail on my SHS Gob 800 and have been flying all afternoon with it and its smaller 700 brother. Again, after four minutes of flight the Gob 800 goes into full neg collective instead of positive. There was really nothing left but the servos.

I rebuilt my Triabolo. I rebuilt my 600. It is now 3k later, and I abandon my Gob 800 due to the finances.
Just tonight after doing several spin ups on my rotating test stand to make absolutely sure all is fine. The heli is anchored down with 30lbs of weight and is going nowhere. All is working.

I take it off the stand. Bind it doing my normal boot up sequence. All the servos are moving in exactly the right directions. Lift it up in the air, and bingo. The servos suddenly reverse themselves? Boom! The heli explodes into the ground as I am now giving it commands and it is all reversed.

I unplug the heli while gathering up its parts and shut off my Jeti. Just out of curiosity I boot my electronics back up. Sans motor. And the swash is now moving again in the right direction?

Hopefully my Jeti dealer will take care of me..... Right now I am just frigging sick....
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2014, 05:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am very sorry to hear that man.. But yeah contact them right away, hopefully everything will work out for you. That is very strange indeed to say the least, maybe also send your Skookum logs over to Art and see if there is any info there that could be helpful, like does the unit also see the channels reversing.

Good luck man..

Rockarruda
Rockarruda is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2014, 01:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockarruda View Post
I am very sorry to hear that man.. But yeah contact them right away, hopefully everything will work out for you. That is very strange indeed to say the least, maybe also send your Skookum logs over to Art and see if there is any info there that could be helpful, like does the unit also see the channels reversing.

Good luck man..

Rockarruda
It would have had I had the pro logger going. As it was I have been solely vibe logging. Esprit contacted me back this am and told me to send the tx in with a form they emailed me. Then my friggin printer crashed. Been that kind of month.

The good news is at least now I know it wasn't me just doing bad setup work. But the hole in my fleet is gonna take at least a year to repair. That and prob a month down in the heart of our short flying season up here. Looks like I will miss the only national meet also that hits next weekend up here.
Old 06-20-2014, 02:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
HSC
Registered Users

This is not good, not good at all !
Sorry for lost ...
I hope wee will get apropriate problem desciption from Jeti....
Did you konect Skokum wia ppm signal i ges...
Regards
Old 06-20-2014, 02:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
HSC
Registered Users

Uf I forget something !
The least Jeti can doo is replace your DS 14 with new DS 16 wich is well tested and proofed by many users
I thing they lunch DS 14 not tested enough, just too soon.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSC View Post
Uf I forget something !
The least Jeti can doo is replace your DS 14 with new DS 16 wich is well tested and proofed by many users
I thing they lunch DS 14 not tested enough, just too soon.
DS -14 and DS-16 are virtually identical and the design is well tested. This is the first issue of this type that has been reported to us and we will take care of things.
Distributor: soXos Helicopter
F1 Rocket is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2014, 02:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Tx is in the mail and should hit monday. Esprit assured me that they would take care of me, and I trust that will be the case as Esprit seems to be a stand up company to deal with. Which is why I chose them. All I can say is it is gonna take quite a while to rebuild my confidence in the TX again. And even longer to rebuild what is left of my fleet. Pretty much this summer is shot for sure, so my plans are geared for next summer instead.

I chose the 14 as I simply will never need 16 channels, ever. Thanks for the support guys and the pms. Which assured me I wasn't alone as you told me of your own issues, and in each case the company stood behind their product.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well, thanks to Esprit for kicking butt and getting my 2nd Ds-14 out to me in a timely manner. But, the 2nd one is also giving me problems just trying to set it up. The three way toggle I need for changing my banks is defective. Unfriggingbelievable.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:09 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmyhelis View Post
Well, thanks to Esprit for kicking butt and getting my 2nd Ds-14 out to me in a timely manner. But, the 2nd one is also giving me problems just trying to set it up. The three way toggle I need for changing my banks is defective. Unfriggingbelievable.
I'm really sorry to hear that!

Just in case, is that the stock switch as it comes or did you swap a 3 way switch in where a 2 way switch was. If the switches were swapped I believe you need to do something for the radio to recognize it.

Otherwise, I'm not sure what to say.
Old 07-02-2014, 07:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
EspritModel.com

Recalibrate sticks and switches.

Zb/Jeti USA
Esprit Model is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2014, 09:54 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprit Model View Post
Recalibrate sticks and switches.

Zb/Jeti USA
Sticks were fine. The switch is def hanging up. No big deal since I just temporarily swapped the function of the triple switch to the SC dual switch on the left to test fly the unit. Stayed up till 2am setting everything up and dialing it in to my freshly rebuilt 600. Which flew just fine. I found myself really loving this tx, and everything about it.

But I ran into the exact same issue again on the same heli #2 in my heli list. Before my Gob 700 was heli #1 and ran fine for three flights. But heli #2, which was my Triabolo and later my 600 both had servo switches during flights. Today my 600 was heli 1. Which again flew fine. But the Gob 700, which I flew all weekend with the Dx7. Showed a servo reverse on the flight stand. Right after verifying it several times during the setup phase. So I changed servo direction for the elev servo once again in the Tx. Played around with the swash visibly for over two minutes. Elev was perfect, Ail responding in the correct directions as well as Elev. Verified every setting in the Tx again, and toggled through everything with the heli powered up in rx with the flight pack. I had three witnesses this time. Spooled up my Gob 700, moved the swash around to again make absolutely sure it was doing what it was supposed to. Then satisfied, lifted it up of the flight pad, raised up about a foot. Then we all watched it flip over forward and basically explode nose down as it tried to flip upside down. Once again at the worst possible moment, the elev servo had reversed yet again. As the elev servo raised up, the two forward servos were dipping down. Jeti? Or an incompatibility with my Sk720? Not sure?

There is virtually nothing left of the heli or most the electronics. The blades tore out the Sk720 and wrapped the shredded still hot wires around the main shaft. Shorted out everything valuable or tore the wires out of them..

Both the 6 and Gob 700 were setup identically with exactly the same Jeti settings throughout. Same Sk720, same esc, same servos. Only the gov values were different in the fbl controllers. The only thing consistent with both Tx's, is every heli in position #2 have suffered the same fates.

I am giving up on the Ds-14 forever, and going back to anything but. 5k later. Either I don't really understand how to properly setup an ffing Jeti. And my overactive IQ dust dumped down into moronsville? Or? There is something in the DS-14 that must be different? This wiped out my entire fleet it has taken me four years to build up to in just two weeks. Either way, I can't afford the learning curve any longer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140702_162421031.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	171.0 KB
ID:	519686   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gob 700 Jeti failure (2).jpg
Views:	118
Size:	206.5 KB
ID:	519687  
Old 07-02-2014, 11:12 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am starching my head on the problems that you are having with your Jeti , I have the DS16 and from day one no problems , almost sounds like you have some flight condition that rev servo once you are at a certain stick position . Is there any funky mixing that you have that could be doing this to you ??. I can program the radio enough to do what I want but to me it sounds as if you have some form of mixing , being that you have a new radio there should be no mixing , unless you somehow are coping your old program to radio . The only other thing I figured is your FBL unit is not setup correct ??. I hope you figure it out because the jeti radio once working %100 you cant beat it .
nojjamaica is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2014, 11:25 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Fbl system has been in flight for years. No problems. Zero mixing anywhere. I made absolutely sure everything was nailed down tight considering my last experience. Much why it took so long to set this up. I left nothing to chance that I am aware of? Even exactly mirroring the #1 to heli #2 setups. Thanks for the thought though. I am really baffled. I have more than one friend running with 16 Tx's and zero issues, not even with my brand fbl controller.

After seven years of flying and hundreds of builds. Several tx's. I am telling the heli to do something, and it is doing something else instead. When it flipped nose down this time, I wasn't giving it much input. Just reacting to the tip. Which instead drove it in harder.
Old 07-03-2014, 12:13 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wow, that is rough.

A couple suspects come to mind. First, I assume that you are using PPM.

Make sure that your TX is set to 100Hz. There was a bug where the RX could generate corrupted PPM stream under certain conditions (TX 50Hz, failsafe off). The full explanation is here.

How long is the PPM wire connecting the RX and the Skookum (and how is routed)? It is possible that you are getting some noise on the PPM line (e.g. static, motor). It is best to keep the PPM wire as short as possible and away from any potential sources of electrical noise.
grumpy42 is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2014, 03:26 AM   #15 (permalink)
BD Forum Support

Two different radios and exactly the same issue? There must be something wrong for sure but I don't believe it's JETI because of two different radios with exactly the same issue? It would have been some general issue and we would see bunch of people over here telling the same story.

Could you post your JETI model file here so we all can see how you have it programmed?
Could you also give us an overall setup and settings?

Last edited by popokatepetl; 07-03-2014 at 06:14 AM..
popokatepetl is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2014, 04:13 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

This is nothing short of a nightmare.

I hope you are able to slowly build back your fleet...and get some closure on the cause of these terrible accidents.

Furthermore, thank goodness on these servo reversals it never reversed into your head. For that at least, you have to be a little tiny bit grateful. No consolation on losing so much work and joy, though.

obi

Exploring the other side of the disk: Taranis (+OrangeRX). nanoCPX (AD mild-BLv2), mCPX dbl-BL (BLHeli XP-12A/HP10+XP-7A/HP03T-4000KV), Align-AD Trex 150 (BLheli+HP8).
Obijuan Kenobe is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2014, 07:52 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Send that radio back to Esprit along with the RX you were using and I will setup one of my machines and fly it.
Distributor: soXos Helicopter
F1 Rocket is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2014, 07:53 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Elcrappo, my new DS-14 is going bonkers

Did I understand correctly and you are using 2 different helis in the same program #2? you are re-binding from one to the other? Why do you have to reverse a servo if they are the same heli, and, are you sure you have to make the changes from the TX and not the sk-720? Just trying to brainstorm...

I'm sorry for what you are going through

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 07-03-2014, 11:44 AM   #19 (permalink)
HSC
Registered Users

Uffff, sorry too hear this man...
In situation like this I would dig and dig, until solve the problem.

If I have situation like this I would buy ussed t250 heli it can bee found for couple of bucks....
And give the same FBL controler and this radio on it...
Tested and fly it above high incited grass...
Nothing hapened too this small helis if fall in grass.

Just an idea...
Old 07-03-2014, 02:26 PM   #20 (permalink)
EspritModel.com

We had discussion with Jeti and few of our pilots, what you are describing is next to impossible. There was NOT a single incident like yours and I we have thousand of radios being used every single day.

There has to be some explanation, as soon as we get radio back with the receiver and your program we will load it on one of our helis and try to recreate the problem, as simple as that.

Zb/Jeti USA
Esprit Model is offline        Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in