Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > MSH Protos

MSH Protos MSH Protos Helicopter Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2009, 11:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Maiden flight, Maiden crash!

Hey all just like the title says got it in the air on the first pack and crashed it on the second. Was adjusting the gyro(inertia 860) and did a punch out to see if the tail would blow out and my tail went nuts. It was wagging really hard about 6 inches each direction, I fought it for a good minute and it still wouldn't stop. I got it as close to the ground as possible and hit throttle hold and then it hit . Damage doesn't look too bad maybe shafts and one blade grip. On the upside I think I'm gonna really like this one, once I get it fine tuned it'll fly nice me thinks.
spootman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2009, 02:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My guess is the gain is set way to high. I remember that behavior with the Protos when I first got it and it drove me nuts. Only one time did the wagging create an oscillation like in your case and wouldn't stop.

Took me a hell of a long time to smooth the tail mechanics out before it was all fixed up. Good luck.
srhadden is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2009, 03:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

When the tail starts oscillating like that, if you were in stunt mode, it actually helps to lower the HS by whacking it in normal mode....

Mine did that the other day when coming out of a flip... wouldnt stop so I just hit stunt mode back into norm and it went away..... landed and adjusted gain.

Goodluck on your next flight. You will love your protos =)
boO! is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2009, 03:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

It was due to a new gyro and not familiar with the set up, I goofed when changing a setting and changed the wrong one. The setting I changed created too much bounce back and that started the ping pong match with the tail. I was only in normal mode and could barley hold it(fingerprints still in the back of the 9303). I did have a wag with it and my gain was turned all the way down to 15(using endpoints) and it still had a small wag.

The damage wasn't bad, one blade grip, main shaft, one mixing arm (no where to be found) tail boom, fly bar and vertical tail fin.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

My HF Map location

If you can share your settings on the LCD I will be glad to assist you with proper setup.

We offer full time support with our products via telephone or email you can get all of the contact info at www.InertiaRC.com
Mike Fortin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2009, 06:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have the pg-8 0 0 which is the same gyro. Stick with all the defaults except direction and tail limits. I find this works great. Same exact settings for my Spartan as well. What a strange coincedence! Weird, the stick programming is the same as well! It's like they have the same software!

Last edited by OnTheSnap; 11-05-2009 at 11:51 PM..
OnTheSnap is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2009, 11:02 PM   #7 (permalink)

My HF Map location

The 2 gyros that you mentioned are different and have different software.

Also, the Inertia is not stick programmable.

The CSM, Spartan and Inertia all share similar values and setups.
Mike Fortin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2009, 11:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hmm, you must have asked SJGD to remove it from the firmware since it made it obvious it's running the Spartan software, since the stick programming is very unique in behavior. BTW, I love my PG-8 0 0 on my T450 V3, this is not a knock against any of the gyros. Just my speculation based on my experience with the PG-8 0 0. Now that I'm flying hard backwards, I've really grown to appreciate it. All 3 are awesome gyros! I've recently added a GY520 to my T600, and I actually like the feel much better then my Spartan or PG-8 0 0.

Soon, my Protos will shed it's antiquated single axis Spartan gyro in favor of a mini-V. I was considering an Axiom, but it seems the schedule continues to slip, you never posted the manual as you promised, and I'm growing impatient. And I think I'd rather go with something that's proven and already has great community support. $125 difference isn't enough to sway me. Plus the axiom can't link with satellite receivers and the wiring mess stinks.
Old 11-07-2009, 12:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Alright , got it back together today and the weather looks good. Getting ready to go out and I notice my fly bar carrier is broken, DOH! I should have known better to check it since the head is almost identical to my blade and that usually breaks in a crash.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Went back out today and had the same problem. Went back to the default settings and it still wags hard after a piro or punch out and won't stop until I land (which is fun when its going nuts). On the up side, the little bit of hovering I did was really nice . Felt really smooth and stable and at the same time I could tell I could get into trouble quick with it. People weren't lying when they said the stock motor gets hot.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'd suggest you check the tail shaft for binding the pitch slider. Recently replaced my tail shaft and had to polish it with 600 wet/dry sandpaper until a mirrors glaze to stop the constant wag problem. In my case I could not feel the binding until I clamped it to my bench, removed the mains, then spun up the heli while moving the tail pitch push rod. Then I could feel it stick then release. Also figured out that if you twist the brass pitch slider on the shaft you could get about the same binding, just have to press it hard.

Whats really amazing to me is the brass pitch slider will scratch the tail shaft.. The tail shaft is apparently very soft steel, too soft IMHO. It went from mirror finish to looking like a steel wool polish in a very short time.
Mentalic is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2009, 06:44 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks for the reply, everything is moving freely on the tail. If it was binding than I would imagine I would have this problem the whole time and not only after doing a piro or punch out.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:48 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I've had gyros do taht hard back and forth, usually I just put in tenough tail to spin it 90 degrees and the gyro kind of resets istelf, and is good.

Won't hurt to give it a try.

povern

VControl, Neo, Hobbywing, Goblin 570(s)
povern is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2009, 08:31 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Very strange. It really sounds like a simple gain problem. Perhaps it's much higher then you think?

Or the quality control is piss poor on the Inertia stuff. Maybe try it on another heli if you run out of ideas.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:02 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Are you sure your gyro gain lead is plugged into the right channel? I had a similar problem and in my case it turned out to be the wrong channel. I realize this is not very likely, but wouldn't hurt to check.

-John
precV is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2009, 05:22 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by spootman View Post
Thanks for the reply, everything is moving freely on the tail. If it was binding than I would imagine I would have this problem the whole time and not only after doing a piro or punch out.
Not necessarily, hovering tail pitch area may not be binding, at the extents it may. It takes very little to cause a problem.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:17 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Everything is free from binding on the pitch slider, I took it apart and set it up again last night to make sure. I lowered the gain a bit and took it out for three packs and it was fine with the exception of some fine tuning that needs to be done. So hopefully the problem is fixed , just to be safe I'll take it easy on it for a while. So either the gain was too high or I fixed something when I set the tail up again. Thanks again for the help.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:51 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'm going with you fixed something in the tail. In the 462 flights I currently have on my Protos the tail wag has reoccurred many times across three different gyros. Keep the tail clean and oiled well.. Your gonna love the heli!
Old 11-11-2009, 11:22 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Well for now its fixed(fingers crossed) but I still don't think this one was mechanical but I guess you never know. And I already like this heli....alot . I kept the head speed down until I knew I wasn't gonna get the death wag, after it tested okay I bumped it back up and wow! This thing was moving like I lit a fire cracker under its arse!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in